Long-time RPer making a new home in FFXIV

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to FFXIV - and just created my first character on Mateus - although I have been playing for several weeks on Diabolos, learning the basics and getting comfortable with the game. (Sadly, Mateus was locked to new characters when I first started).  The RP community looks lovely here and I'm excited to see what kind of stories and RP I can get into.

A few things about me as an RPer:

• I've been role-playing for a long time and would say I'm fairly experienced with it.  I started in Ultima Online (Which I still am a part of to this day) - which might give you an idea how long I've been at it - and eventually graduated to other MMORPGs, (WoW, LOTRO - which I haven't been at in a while) and more recently MMO survival games (Life is Feudal, DayZ for a brief stint.) 
  • What I fancy most about it usually sits in the category of heavy RP. I will have a character fairly well thought out in the beginning allowing room for changes and improvisation. I rarely go OOC unless it's necessary. And I love being involved in on-going storylines even if it's simply as a background participant.
  •  Actual end-game content, or the typical grind of MMOs are usually a secondary goal for me. Though I have found I'm thoroughly enjoying FFXIV as a game thus far. It doesn't feel quite the same as other fantasy MMORPG's like WoW or ESO, it actually feels like I'm playing a Final Fantasy game - the in-game lore and story is enjoyable! Which is shocking to me. Haha.

My character on Mateus is Pepezen Hahazen. A young Dunesfolk farmer and fieldworker who's attempting to enter a new life of academic pursuits and historical research. He, like most of his kin, is very amiable and excitable - and perhaps a bit too overly-positive even when he shouldn't be. He has not had much interaction with other races outside of Hyur and other Lallafel as his early days as a farmhand were sheltered ones. His curious nature has driven him away from that life and into Limsa Lominsa, where he currently resides as a fisherman.

And with that - I hope to RP with some of you in the near future!

I think I have a lot to learn though, there seems to be some etiquette I'm not familar with - such as I see many mentioning they welcome walk-up RP, along with /tell - what's the difference and is /tell only for OOC purpose? I assume to ask permission first?  I'm sure I'll figure it out, as with many other aspects of gameplay and whatnot.

Thanks all, and happy RPing.

Hey there! Welcome to the RPC!

From what I've heard from others who've RPed in other MMOs, RP in FFXIV does have a slightly different feeling, probably stemming from our lack of official RP servers. (Everything is built by the players here!)

Since we used to not have any indication of whether someone was IC or OOC in terms of actual game features, many took to having a search info stating they were a RPer. Other conventions merged in, likely from forum RP, with open/closed RP styles, and many took to stating whether they were open to random walk-up RP or not. Some people choose to use the /tell message feature before approach a group of people they haven't interacted with before as a way to ask "can I join in, or are you using this space for a closed RP?" It still very much depends on the person or the group. No strict requirements.