Curse words!

I fully embrace the classic Woolseyisms like "you spoony bard" and "son of a submariner!" If I'm playing a Final Fantasy, I'm going to be referential to other Final Fantasy games.

It's hard with fantasy cursing, though, because you can very easily sound like you're just baby talking the whole time. Battlestar Galactica rode the line with "frak" where sometimes it sounded natural and totally in place, but in some contexts it sounded ridiculous. But if we can come up with some cool sounding curses that we can make sound awesome, I'm all about that.

Personally, I tend to use blasphemies over actual curses. In FFXI, I'd have a character say something like "Altana's tits, that's disgusting!" We've got twelve awesome gods to blaspheme. I'm pretty sure that's more than enough to be creative with.

You get a sense for what's common by talking to NPC's.  "Thal's Balls" is exclaimed a lot, and everything is "shite".

That said most of the LS's I've belonged to have not had any qualms about cursing in-character - dropping F-bombs and such.  It's a mature world we're living in, after all, and this game is full of euphamisms and all sorts of crazy talk.

EDIT: Rhio beat me to it.

I don't commonly swear myself unless a situation presents itself in such a way that I can't get past the shock of the moment and think of a different set of words. Most of the time the "bad words" just come out as a series of disgruntled noises. (Like with typing this the first time. I hit some weird button and the page navigated away. I made a loud "naaaaAAAAAUUGH!" noise.)

With games, and RP, I like to watch the NPC dialogue to find what's already used in the world. While I get that I'm an adult, there are other adults, and lots of kids that -think- they're adults, it just doesn't feel like our real world profanities really fit in fantasy worlds (beyond certain ones, like "damn" for an example).

"Bugger" is also a British curse word, generally used as a verb. Bugger this, bugger off, and so forth. "Bloody" also enjoys some use in the game, I believe.

British curses often get adapted into American localizations because they're recognizable while not sounding too dirty to the intended audience. I've been informed that these terms are quite a bit more vulgar if you're from England, but at least it gives you another basis to go from.

No sign of bollocks or wanker that I can recall, though.

I'm not sure SE knows what a "bugger" is.  They use it quite frequently in NPC chat.  Just to educate, a bugger is a man who has sex with other men via anal intercourse.  That said, I'm on the blasphame boat.

Traditionally it was just Sodomy on a general level, or Bestiality. It's important to note that Anal Sex is/was frowned upon by the Religious institutions of this and that time with either sexes. Really it was a "heathens are backwards". for more information feel free to check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery

as well as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger (emphasis on the Etymology, the rest of the article is about more modern usage.)

tl;dr the term "bugger" like most things in the English language has changed with time.

I'm not sure SE knows what a "bugger" is.  They use it quite frequently in NPC chat.  Just to educate, a bugger is a man who has sex with other men via anal intercourse.  That said, I'm on the blasphame boat.

Traditionally it was just Sodomy on a general level, or Bestiality. It's important to note that Anal Sex is/was frowned upon by the Religious institutions of this and that time with either sexes. Really it was a "heathens are backwards". for more information feel free to check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery

as well as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger (emphasis on the Etymology, the rest of the article is about more modern usage.)

tl;dr the term "bugger" like most things in the English language has changed with time.

One of those "the more you know" stars just flew over my head and broke my window...

Do you think they'd make expletives up too like:

"Nophica's Rack!"

Menphina's Clit!"

"Rhalgr's Cock!"

Just going off from the Deity Name + Body Part thing xD

Personally, I think they would be a little more subtle :P

"Sweet Nophica's thighs!"

"By Oschon's rigid staff!"

"Ugh, this desert is hotter than Mephina's whispering eye!"

"By Oschon's rigid staff!"

I died.

===

Personally I tend to use the British swears they use in the game, like "bugger" or "bloody," and just kind of roll with that (adding in things like "sod" and "bollocks" if I'm feeling particularly swearish). If I do go into regular swears, I try to give them different spellings, like "feck" for fuck (though I will probably still say "fuck" most of the time, I have a bad habit of swearing a lot :angel: ).

I also like the various god + body part swears, though sadly neither of my characters would use those...well, maybe one just for the sake of blaspheming, but definitely not the other.

Also, probably something that slips people up once or twice (myself included), is that "god" and "hell" should usually be pluralized, given Eorzean mythology. So "bloody hell" becomes "bloody hells," and "god dammit" becomes "gods dammit." Granted, some of our characters might not necessarily subscribe to Eorzean beliefs, but as a general rule it works.

Also, probably something that slips people up once or twice (myself included), is that "god" and "hell" should usually be pluralized, given Eorzean mythology. So "bloody hell" becomes "bloody hells," and "god dammit" becomes "gods dammit." Granted, some of our characters might not necessarily subscribe to Eorzean beliefs, but as a general rule it works.

I wouldn't think it really matters if you believe in it or not; certain words emphasize your point even if you don't believe in a religion. My shouts of "God damn it!" are not actually an invocation to a deity, after all.