Heyyoo! New to RP ...

Hey ^^ I'm looking to transfer to Balmung in hopes of a friendly community, but I don't have any experience role-playing. I stopped playing FFXIV a while ago, as I found my server Hyperion (formerly Trabia) generally unwelcoming: "Haven't beat Ifrit within the first 2 weeks? Oh sorry, veterans only". Not everyone was like that of course, but that was the general philosophy imparted by most I talked to. I just started playing the ARR beta, and I really like the look of the battle system, and the entire world in general (can't believe how much it's changed). I heard Blamung (Besaid?) was generally friendly from a few people who moved there, so I'm hoping I can still have fun, make some friends/help people, without needing to RP heavily. Do you think this is possible? I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I can hope:D Thank you for any feedback.

Take care,

Wist:chocobo:

Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

@FreelanceWizard thank you for the link, and welcome back! I stayed in FFXIV for over a year, but I eventually had enough, and life got very very busy. SE finally got me with the constant beta invites, and perks of being a legacy member /sucker. I don’t recognise the world anymore.

I find the concept of role-playing really fascinating actually (yeah I’m a total noob), so I’m very accepting of how others like to play, and I’m definitely open to try. I did check out some of the guides on here already, and they’re really conprehensive/lengthy, so I’ll have to re-read them and take it slow:thumbsup:

I think there is a common fear with those new to roleplay that if they break the "rules" they will be forever chastised. Of course, with any community you have all extremes, but as long as you're willing to listen and accept input, there are always plenty of RP groups out there willing to ease in new folks. But don't get too caught up in the "rules". If you feel like you are walking on ice all the time you won't enjoy yourself. Just start slowly and you'll be fine. You don't have to start with some epic story arch.

What I always suggest for those new to RP, is to attend an RP event and just hang out. Don't have to say anything at all, just listen (read). I think that helps give anyone new an idea of how things are typically done. Of course, depending on the size of the event, the text can become hard to follow. This is how I started out, with the help of some friendly people and attending a couple RP events.

I think there is a common fear with those new to roleplay that if they break the "rules" they will be forever chastised. Of course, with any community you have all extremes, but as long as you're willing to listen and accept input, there are always plenty of RP groups out there willing to ease in new folks. But don't get too caught up in the "rules". If you feel like you are walking on ice all the time you won't enjoy yourself. Just start slowly and you'll be fine. You don't have to start with some epic story arch.

What I always suggest for those new to RP, is to attend an RP event and just hang out. Don't have to say anything at all, just listen (read). I think that helps give anyone new an idea of how things are typically done. Of course, depending on the size of the event, the text can become hard to follow. This is how I started out, with the help of some friendly people and attending a couple RP events.

This is really good advice, as I've felt this way for a while about RP. I think - from the perspective of some new people like myself - RP seems like an entirely new world, and it's always hard to break into new things without being overwhelmed. Luckily the people on this forum sound very nice in general, which encouraged me to finally sign up.

Also, Trabia was a very quiet server outside of LS, so if I ever can't follow the open chat text in FFXIV I'll probably die from shock:dazed: