Wiki page help (right area?)

I know what to write for my OC, what needs to he done and balancing it all... But I cannot make heads or tails out of the templates on the Wiki, as they all work off of coding. Do I just copy paste into Google docs? Or what do I do?

This section's fine for wiki help.

So! All the templates are generally a combination of wikicode and HTML. Wikicode itself is really just shortcuts for HTML. I wouldn't stick that in google docs, but a text editor you can save to copy/paste later is handy. (I prefer notepad++ with html syntax hilighting turned on, as it'll catch most of the fancier template stuff. The wiki editor does do hilighting too, but a bad pageload could mean you lose your work.) 

Making lots of small changes is better than making a large comprehensive change. (You can always ticket the minor changes box on/off as needed).

You'll want to to copy the template code (many will have a spoiler box with a big text block to copy the template, and not the preview below). From there, it's a lot like filling out a worksheet. You can mostly just edit the placeholder text with what you'd like.

I should note that some templates are harder/easier to get working the way you want them to. If there's one you're interested in, I can help you sift through the details and fix any errors it might have. Most...should be working as-is after our last big wiki upgrade.

I'd...definitely recommend a computer for wiki edits. It's not a particularly mobile-friendly experience, I'm afraid.  (You certainly can, but I wouldn't, as the code blocks will eat up a lot of space and make it harder to see things).

My general process for a new wiki page goes like this:
1. Find a template you like, unless planning to make your own, copy the text from it's template piece.

image.png

2. Create the new wiki page (search for the name, it should be red if nothing found). - I recommend keeping things in the main workspace, which is default, so linking from other wiki pages is easy.

image.png

3. Copy the full template text to the new page. Save it just like that.

image.png

From there, you should see the basic template and you can more easily edit by section. I'm familiar with that template and know the person who made it, so I can usually help debug any glitches pretty quickly!