I'm Curious

I have a question but first a little explanation, I have an idea for Izaria's backstory that could involve why she wanted to become an Arcanist. I read in the wiki that both the Dunesfolk and the Plainsfolk are or were, agricultural people. So that made me wonder, is it possible to make a Dunesfolk enjoy the wonders of nature persay, or is it just Plainsfolk who would be like that? Since they are the farmers and the Dunesfolk are the buisness savvy people.

Dunesfolk are actually said to be more scholastic of the two and are known for placing the pursuit of knowledge over all other things. Yes, many are business savy, but characteristic trait tends to come from Ul'dah more so than their clan. Also, of the two, traditional dunesfolk were primarily nomadic and thus they didnt rely on agriculture as much as their plains folk cousins. Xenedra has the right if things tho, I'm sure no one would think it odd if you had a lalafell who deviates from the norm. Hell, I do that with my Miqo'te! :3

For a nature-loving Lalafell, I would go Plainsfolk. But there's nothing saying you can't go Dunesfolk. No one would attack you for lore-breaking because of it. Plainsfolk are generally the agricultural little dudes, while Dunesfolk are more urbanized and indoorsy people. Still though, nothing is wrong with a nature-loving Dunesfolk. In the end it's all just stereotypes. The only reason I always pick Plainsfolk over Dunesfolk is because they get the option of sideburns.

I mean, hell, look at Ship. He's atypical of every Lalafell I've ever seen, and his character is awesome.

Yeah, I thought about doing that too. And Shippu is freakin awesomes, he makes me giggle when he shows pictures of his Lala cause he looks like a cute manly badass. I just thought it would be weird and not make sense if I did that.

Yeah, I thought about doing that too. And Shippu is freakin awesomes, he makes me giggle when he shows pictures of his Lala cause he looks like a cute manly badass. I just thought it would be weird and not make sense if I did that.

The problem with making a badass Lala is that it's hard to do without looking like your copying Ship. He's pretty much got a monopoly on it because everyone knows that he is the badass Lala. Even if you never met the guy and had the idea on your own, it'd still make people think of Ship when they saw it. It's unfortunately just one of those ideas that there seems to be only room for one of. Plus, to Ship's credit, it's hard to not become a parody of yourself when making a badass Lala.

I considered doing it myself, just because in all my other MMOs I've played dwarves. Felt I was accidentally making a carbon copy of Ship no matter what I did, so I canned the idea. It was for the best though, since this Hyur is one of my favorite characters I've come up with in any game.

That was off-topic. My bad.

Hehe, no it's fine. It would have been cool but yeah, making a carbon copy might get people upset. I just thought that the idea the Nee suggested, that I thought about too, thank goodness she thought of that too though cause I was like, that... makes no sense. Hehe, would be weirds. For Iza's back story.

And I just got conflicted I guess, cause I was thinkin, no that wouldn't make any sense to do that for a Dunes folk after what I read and I like both those clans so yeah. And I think I'm rambling, sorry bout that. XS

I think there's room for badarse Lalas that aren't Ship. You just have to think outside the box marked 'dwarvish stereotypes'. I got some examples!

• The Lalafell jock. Pugilist is a great choice for this. A very active, dynamic youth, who occasionally gets laid out flat, but always picks up and keeps trying. I'm thinking about using this, looking at Tidus for inspiration.
  • The stern elder. This Lalafell's seen it all, and now is semi-retired, taking on students. A tough but fair tutor, trying to instil discipline in the apprentices for their own good. Doesn't have quite as much energy for travel these days, but can throw down with any whippersnapper.
  • The valiant champion. Being gallant and virtuous doesn't make you a sissy, in fact if you follow through and put yourself on the line constantly, that makes you a total badarse. Someone aspiring to be a Sultansworn would be a great concept for this.
  • The dervish. Dunesfolk don't all live in Ul'dah. There are many nomadic tribes hidden in the desert, with proud martial traditions. Some practice banditry, others just want to keep outsiders away. If you want to play a professional assassin, this is the most logical background for it in lore, of any race.

Oh my, it seems I have some kind of reputation? Who'da thunk it?!

But Rho strikes great points. There are plenty of character archetypes that can be played out to make sturdy and badass lalafell that aren't like my own character. Even if it is like my own character that's fine, as I get people telling me that Ship reminds them of other tougher lalafell characters they have known before as well. So it's not big thing, I guess I just happen to be the more prevalent one at the moment here.

Ship is brash, loud, obnoxious. These boisterous personality traits make him kind of a ruffian archetype, a selfish brawler. So Rho's examples are all spot on. The valiant champion they listed is basically the archetypal opposite of my own character.

The other options, like stern and wise types, and sneaky thief-assassin types are also good choices. Those archetypes fall more naturally in line with the lalafell status quo though. In that they're more likely to happen (Known for intelligence etc, small size and high agility attribute towards stealth etc.) That's why Ship's a Warrior, because it's just about as far from their natural archetype as you can get.

As a side note though, for those wanting to play more serious non-stereotyped Lalafell. Prepare to take tons of flak OOC as well as some IC from meta-gamed presumptions. This is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to playing a lalafell, within real life, a small race like them is a joke, but within the realm of Eorzea, lalafell are treated with at least a semblance of respect. Certainly their size is the brunt of some jokes, but not their capabilities as combatants, like ever.

You walk around and there's tons of lalafell guards in many places, cutscenes have shown them to be strong well beyond their size would imply and that they are not discriminated from any line of duty. You don't see NPC's treating them differently because of their size or cute tendencies, yet you see many, many players do, both IC, and especially OOC. This can be rather annoying but it cannot be helped sadly. Good RP'ers don't, more or less, but it still happens. It's understandably hard to not let those preconceived notions not leak into people's characters.

There are plenty of character archetypes that can be played out to make sturdy and badass lalafell that aren't like my own character. Even if it is like my own character that's fine, as I get people telling me that Ship reminds them of other tougher lalafell characters they have known before as well. So it's not big thing, I guess I just happen to be the more prevalent one at the moment here.

That's a good point. I'm on the shorter side of the scale IRL so I enjoy playing and seeing short characters that have a badass aspect to them. (I'm a big fan of Marvel's Wolverine and the Dwarves of Middle Earth.) Lala are a little harder to make rough and badass and I was disappointed to find there were no scar options for them in the character creator. 

Both Ship and Rho brought up good points about differing stereotypes for no-nonsense lalafell that I, as a huge dwarf fan, didn't even consider. I'm seriously considering making a lala alt now because of it, but it's going to take a lot of thought to separate from the dwarf mentality that I've had in MMOs for almost a decade.

Also I could see the lalafell meta-game stereotypes bothering me as well. I dislike the fact that many lala are seen as one-dimensional short or cute jokes, when a lot of lala players put in a shit load of work to make their character deep and memorable.

For reference, I'd love to see a Lalafell based on this guy: 10549_10152903869880414_778303493_n.png

He pretty much fits both options 2 and 4!

Hahahaha as much as I really do love Kung Fu (don't even get me started on it. Omfg, kung fu movies are sweet.) I was thinking more like a battle-hardened Toon Link from Wind Waker. Sword, shield, maybe some sweet gadgets (that would be played out as paladin magic) since lala are really smart and he has to find a way to close in on his enemy. Except instead of being a child, he'd have sideburns and full plate armor. His personality would be the one mentioned earlier as "the complete opposite of Ship".  Thinking Plainsfolk with tan skin, dirty blonde hair, blue or green eyes, and huge ass ears. I would RP him as Dunesfolk though probably (I just really want those sideburns).

Also I could see the lalafell meta-game stereotypes bothering me as well. I dislike the fact that many lala are seen as one-dimensional short or cute jokes, when a lot of lala players put in a shit load of work to make their character deep and memorable.

One of the worst being abruptly picked up by another PC in an in character RP. Not only is this completely unacceptable in an etiquette sense but it's completely unreasonable. Lalafells aren't weightless, and while they're small their weight range is still likely between 50-100lbs at least. Not to mention how rude and demeaning it is on an IC degree. (Sure, lots of lalafell players wouldn't mind it, but still.)

And Rho, I totally wanted to make a lalafell like that once, and might have with Ship if he wasn't already established as his rough self in previous things. Plus I don't like monk all too much in game xP

Maybe as an alt...hrmm.

One of the worst being abruptly picked up by another PC in an in character RP. Not only is this completely unacceptable in an etiquette sense but it's completely unreasonable. Lalafells aren't weightless, and while they're small their weight range is still likely between 50-100lbs at least. Not to mention how rude and demeaning it is on an IC degree. (Sure, lots of lalafell players wouldn't mind it, but still.)

People do that? I was mentally prepared for things like:

"Hey, short stuff."

"We shouldn't bring ___ with us, he probably would be too short to hit the enemy."

and "Oh my gods, a lalafell in armor! Can you please dance for us?"

But the example you just gave would really piss me off. I realize that it's kind of the risk you take when choosing lalafell, but it still bothers me. No RPer should just assume they can man-handle anyone's character. Just because someone is playing a smaller character doesn't mean the rules change. Hopefully with my lala alt I'll be RPing with players who have manners, or at very least the logical sense to know that a lalafell in full plate armor with a large shield isn't going to be thrown around like a pillow.

I only have a few flimsy ideas for my character, but I already know he'd be pissed IC if that happened to him.

I know two new players who are going to likely play Lalafell who will get really, really angry (IC, of course) at people who try to play the "you're so cute" or "aw, look at the tiny Lalafell" cards. As a person who played a Gnome Warrior in WoW (Gnomish Infantry and Proud!), I agree that there's few things more annoying than those metagame behaviors -- and the best way to deal with them, IMO, is to respond appropriately IC. I know my gnome would've responded to being abruptly picked up with a throat punch to the offending party. :)

And, of course, that sort of response IC, if picked up by enough RPers, will set the tenor of IC interactions across the server. If enough Lalafell refuse to be treated like cute children, that'll influence the IC reactions to Lalafell in general -- not to mention that I just don't see Lalafell responding too well to that sort of treatment in setting.

EDIT: @Uther: Oh, yes, people do that to small characters all the time in my experience. Beyond dwarf tossing, gnome punting, and the like, picking up small characters is shockingly common. It seems small races tend to provoke a fair amount of powerposing, probably due to their size and appearance.

I know two new players who are going to likely play Lalafell who will get really, really angry (IC, of course) at people who try to play the "you're so cute" or "aw, look at the tiny Lalafell" cards. As a person who played a Gnome Warrior in WoW (Gnomish Infantry and Proud!), I agree that there's few things more annoying than those metagame behaviors -- and the best way to deal with them, IMO, is to respond appropriately IC. I know my gnome would've responded to being abruptly picked up with a throat punch to the offending party. :)

And, of course, that sort of response IC, if picked up by enough RPers, will set the tenor of IC interactions across the server. If enough Lalafell refuse to be treated like cute children, that'll influence the IC reactions to Lalafell in general -- not to mention that I just don't see Lalafell responding too well to that sort of treatment in setting.

I already have "Shut your godsdamned mouth." prepared for the most dire situations.

Sadly, this will never happen. Because for everyone one serious lalafell there are probably at least 10 or more lalafells that perpetuate these unfortunate stereotypes. There will always be scores of stuttering cutesy lalafell because that's just the kind of player their overall design appeals to sadly. So unfortunately it will persist to be a problem, but oh well.

It'd be nice if SE helped us out and gave us more NPC/storyline lalafell that break this mold, but that's unfortunately not going to happen. Especially since the only good examples we had (The twins Seserukka and Popokkuli) from 1.0 seem to not exist in ARR. Unfortunately we don't have many good ones in ARR it seems, at least none that aren't mages.

It'd be nice if SE helped us out and gave us more NPC/storyline lalafell that break this mold, but that's unfortunately not going to happen. Especially since the only good examples we had (The twins Seserukka and Popokkuli) from 1.0 seem to not exist in ARR. Unfortunately we don't have many good ones in ARR it seems, at least none that aren't mages.

The Ul'dah storyline presents us with a lalafell that is older, distinguished, polite, and also hard as a rock. Pugilists deal with a pair of lalafell students that are both presented as serious physical threats, not as simple punchlines. That's not even counting the number of other non-cutesy lalafells I've encountered in-character, or the darn Sultana herself.

I think a lot of the image of lalafells as a joke comes about as a result of promotional bits; the game itself and the story treats them as being a legitimately important part of the peoples of Eorzea. And most of the players I've met expect to be treated as such.

In summary, lalafell are people too.

Sadly, this will never happen. Because for everyone one serious lalafell there are probably at least 10 or more lalafells that perpetuate these unfortunate stereotypes.

That's a damn shame. I guess the most you can do is kind of bite the bullet and give it your best shot. One of the reasons I wanted to make a serious lalafell was because as someone who is short IRL I hate the short-cute-physically-inept stereotypes that run rampant in games like this, and I wanted to take a shot at breaking the mold. Of course, you seem to be already working on that, Ship, but the more the merrier IMO. Another reason is because I like the idea of the world seeming bigger and more dangerous. Sure, lalafell are just as skilled at combat as anyone else, but even the most serious and hardcore lalafell still has a shorter reach and a frailer body than everyone else.

In GW2 I played an Asura and he was pretty badass, but when the giant world event happened (around halloween-ish time) I still felt like a normal guy because of my height. It gave me the sense of "My ass-kicking to poor genetics ratio is off the charts, but in the end I am still just this little dude and it's going to take all of us to save the world."

^ That was a bit of rambling but I hope it made sense. Long story short, the little characters who have a lot of heart and take themselves seriously can be very complex and a lot of fun to RP. I just wish there weren't ridiculous player-made stereotypes following them around.

The Ul'dah storyline presents us with a lalafell that is older, distinguished, polite, and also hard as a rock.  Pugilists deal with a pair of lalafell students that are both presented as serious physical threats, not as simple punchlines.  That's not even counting the number of other non-cutesy lalafells I've encountered in-character, or the darn Sultana herself.

oK9Humg.jpg

I noticed the pugilist ones, but didn't level pugilist at beyond the first quest to see their story to see if they had a more pronounced role or not. But that's good, but at the same time we lost the mining twins so that balances out maybe a bit. Don't know the other lalafell you're talking about, unless it's the mustachioed one from the very beginning? That collects the debt? If not, got a name or picture of this lalafell?

And I don't count the Sultana, as any strong leadership she might impose, she negates with her extreme perpetuation of cutesy stuff. But she isn't bad, but not really what I'd like for a prominent lalafell figure.

That's a damn shame. I guess the most you can do is kind of bite the bullet and give it your best shot. One of the reasons I wanted to make a serious lalafell was because as someone who is short IRL I hate the short-cute-physically-inept stereotypes that run rampant in games like this, and I wanted to take a shot at breaking the mold. Of course, you seem to be already working on that, Ship, but the more the merrier IMO. Another reason is because I like the idea of the world seeming bigger and more dangerous. Sure, lalafell are just as skilled at combat as anyone else, but even the most serious and hardcore lalafell still has a shorter reach and a frailer body than everyone else.

I could easily go on a tangent on how arguably lalafell possess a superhuman level of strength. They would already possess at least twice the proportional strength of Hyur's according to the Square/Cube Law as it is, then factor in that we've seen them lift and throw objects of much greater weight (normal sized Hyurs in this case) meaning they're actually incredibly strong proportionately. So this puts them on equal strength with races that can be close to 4 times their size.

So to put it into perspective, it'd be like a human capable of lifting and throwing around 500lbs(226kg) rather easily. Certainly sounds pretty damn capable as a race if you ask me.

I noticed the pugilist ones, but didn't level pugilist at beyond the first quest to see their story to see if they had a more pronounced role or not. But that's good, but at the same time we lost the mining twins so that balances out maybe a bit. Don't know the other lalafell you're talking about, unless it's the mustachioed one from the very beginning? That collects the debt? If not, got a name or picture of this lalafell?

And I don't count the Sultana, as any strong leadership she might impose, she negates with her extreme perpetuation of cutesy stuff. But she isn't bad, but not really what I'd like for a prominent lalafell figure.

I cannot recall his name, exactly, but he's instrumental in several of the early quests, culminating in him showing up as the eleventh-hour cavalry charge as the head of an entire unit of Sultansworn.

I'll second that sorrow over the loss of the twins, though. They were a great pair.