I'm Curious

Pick up Shippuu? Pfft. In Kerr's dreams, I allow him to have a plush Ship to snuggle at bed time. Actually IG, IC, he wouldn't dare. I think he'd seriously fear that punch to the throat. While I personally on an OCC think Ship is the most adorable badass ever (and often squee or other such silly things at pics/art), IC Kerr is going to treat him like the ass kicker he is. 

@ OP: I think of them more as guidelines, anyway. ;) play what you want. It's easy to make up a reason why they differed from the normal stereotypes presented for lalas. What's important, is that you love your character and you want to play them. If you're happy, we can work on everything else.

I think most of the races can be mocked in-character to some degree or another, and we've seen that certain types of racism do exist in Eorzea.  The one I most commonly hear spoken about is the Wildwood elezen at the archer's guild in Gridania badmouthing miqo'te archers.

But it's not like I've never heard the dhalmel-neck remarks.  Thankfully it's not as awful as it was in XI - plus I don't think we have dhalmels that I've seen anyway, but I may be wrong on this.

There have been RPers who've exhibited a prejudice against some other race for whatever reason.  And I think this is fine so long as both side realize that it's just a character thing and not really any sort of animosity (you would think this wouldn't need to be mentioned for most folks, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to add that little OOC /tell just to be on the safe side).

I think lalafells are awesome though, and wish there were more of them that I interacted with on a regular basis!  ^_^

Also I wanna go watch the Kill Bill movies again now...  :blush:

I think most of the races can be mocked in-character to some degree or another, and we've seen that certain types of racism do exist in Eorzea.  The one I most commonly hear spoken about is the Wildwood elezen at the archer's guild in Gridania badmouthing miqo'te archers.

Yeah, I guess that's my problem. I accept racism in the game, I think it's great. But Lalafell get treated with the most offhanded racism (by players specifically) than any other races, for no other merit than them being a small race.

So in the game world, racism is healthily distributed to all the races (for the most part). Yet within the RP world it heavily leans against the lalafell. And many players probably don't even realize it due to it technically being meta-gamed into their RP, influence from their real world perspective.

So it sucks, it happens, and it bugs me, but there's nothin' I can do about it except handle it when it happens to me in game.

I think the difference is that IC racism against most races is usually based on some type of personality stereotype that the race has. For instance, Elezen being snooty, or Miqo'te being promiscuous. If someone RP'd a racist character who disliked Dunesfolk for being thrifty and cheap, or Plainsfolk for being simpleton farmers, I'd be fine with that. It's the short and cute jokes that have really turned me off to the race itself. In addition to that, more lalafell players seem to enjoy perpetuating this stereotype than not, which is a real let-down as I think playing the little badass underdog archetype is a lot of fun. 

Also, I did see Ship's argument for lalafell's super-human strength and I totally believe him, but lalas still at least appear to be the physical underdogs.

Well, this sort of OOC or 'meta-' stereotype is not something you'll see from me or my characters. If there was any reason to be disdainful of lalafell it would stem from something in-character. And I agree that it does happen and is perpetuated by any number of folks who play the race (and not just RPers) and those that tease them for it.

After seeing those two in Amajina and Sons taking care of business... well... yeah...

*slouches back down in her seat and sips her wine not wanting to draw any unnecessary brutish lalafell ire*

But you are right. I don't think I've seen any NPC's really regard lalafell as being weak or inferior in any way - the way some PC's do. I honestly had never even really noticed this or thought about it before seeing you mention it. I think there's some that have referred to them as being short, maybe. But that's like calling a roegadyn big. Duh.

So many replies! Hehe, I made it a BIG discussion, yays! ^_^ Well Rhostel did but YAYS! Anyways, I didn't get to reply last night cause I was having lots of fun rping with everybody but this what I say bout Lalas, I for one like being cute. I don't know why though, I guess cause I'm kinna cute-ish deep down but I can also be serious when the need arises of course.

I haven't seen any bullying of an small races yet, or maybe I have and just thought of it as people being like awwww, you're so dorables! However, I think I do remember one time I think in a WoW server, or somewhere someone tried to punt a gnome? I'm not sure anymore, since I haven't played that in forever but, my point is this.

I like being cute, but if someone tries to Iza or throw her across somewhere, she's going to automatically start drop kicking them. And they're going to feel her wrath full on. Then they're gonna be on my black list just for doing that. I may talk to them bout it OOCly or I might just ignore them and address it ICly then go about my buisness.

Hehe punting gnomes was a huge thing in WoW. :P

But Lalas are SO CUTE!

Except the creepy guys with mustaches. Like that one from the 1.0 Limsa Lominsa quest with the fishers. o_O

Also, Lalafel with Onion Helm. I want to see this.

Maybe I'll just give my new lala a mustache to get everyone away from him...

Also, since I can't do that multi-quote thing everyone else can,

@Desphiria,

Nothing wrong with being cute and lalafell is definitely the right outlet for it. I just don't want to be forced to be cute by player interaction and expectation. I mean, look at this guy https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/968950_10151733312980871_633335608_n.jpg He looks badass.

@Koko,

-.- You're everything my lalafell stands against lol

@Kari, 

Accurate assessment. Didn't even think about that analogy. I always saw Wart (...that's what I'm calling my lala while I'm thinking of something better) as more of a wolverine.

@Eva,

I don't imagine I'll see this stereotype from you. You're one of the good ones. :thumbsup:

You could use that name generator I saw somewhere in this forum to choose a name for your lalafell Uther. The names are silly cute but you could use that. Uhm... I think.. Rhostel or... someone, I think it was Rhostel though, helped me figure out my Lala's name. And I like it. It's cutes.

You could use that name generator I saw somewhere in this forum to choose a name for your lalafell Uther. The names are silly cute but you could use that. Uhm... I think.. Rhostel or... someone, I think it was Rhostel though, helped me figure out my Lala's name. And I like it. It's cutes.

...I actually kind of like Wart now for a first name. I got it from The Once and Future King. It's what they called King Arthur when he was a child servant. I think it fits a rough-looking lalafell paladin. I might use the name generator for a last name and have Wart as a nickname. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion though, I forgot all about the name generator.

...Though last time it generated "Brian Clark" ...lame lol

I've been going through this name generator all day. Best I came up with for my character was Wart Totonji. Thinking his birth name might have been Wowonji Totonji but on the battlefield he just adopted the call sign "Wart" for being an ugly little pain in the ass. Still looking through the generator though.

I've been going through this name generator all day. Best I came up with for my character was Wart Totonji. Thinking his birth name might have been Wowonji Totonji but on the battlefield he just adopted the call sign "Wart" for being an ugly little pain in the ass. Still looking through the generator though.

Hehe, okay. I'm sure you'll find something, or ask Rhostel for help. Cause, she's smart. ^^

Wart... I like Wart, actually

I can see this working.

Picture a tavern.

Big bad roegadyn, lil badass lalafel.

Bunch of guys come in and makes short jokes to provoke the roegadyn into defending his smaller friend so they can show off by beating him.

But then...

"Hey Wart, why doncha show these guys how the strongest drinks come in the smallest shots while I finish my drink?"

[insert violence here]

Wart... I like Wart, actually

I can see this working.

Picture a tavern.

Big bad roegadyn, lil badass lalafel.

Bunch of guys come in and makes short jokes to provoke the roegadyn into defending his smaller friend so they can show off by beating him.

But then...

"Hey Wart, why doncha show these guys how the strongest drinks come in the smallest shots while I finish my drink?"

[insert violence here]

Hahahaha I love it.

You know, come to think of it... the whole "Lala are cute little snuggly things" stereotype doesn't have to be meta at all.

If we instinctively think small=cute or small=weak, then why wouldn't Eorzeans have the same instinctive response? Especially if they don't personally know any Lalafel who could have proven them wrong. Or worse, know Lalafel who proved them right!

If this stereotype is IC, I would think at least some Lalafels would capitalize on it to get out of trouble and con people, while others would simply go along with it.

Then of course, you have the ones that feel they have something to prove because of it, those that just don't care, those who are simply annoyed, etc.

Calling it meta is closing the door to door to some potential RP fun, I think.

It doesn't have to be metagame, but conversely, the setting doesn't seem to support it; Lalafell don't seem to be treated as cute little snuggly things by NPCs, so it doesn't seem logical that PCs would do so when the NPCs largely don't. In absence of setting support and with the evidence of it being a metagame behavior in other games, it's easy to assume that it's a metagame behavior here, too.

That's not to say that there aren't Lalafell who fall into the stereotype, just that they'd be relatively rare and PCs of other races wouldn't hold that stereotype.

You know, come to think of it... the whole "Lala are cute little snuggly things" stereotype doesn't have to be meta at all.

Mostly reiterating what Wizard said, but yes. The problem is, this IS relatively meta because everything established within the game's setting is contrary to this. Ul'dah is such a fine example of this. You have scores of lalafellin Brass Blades, Sultansworn, even guild NPCs at both the Pugilist's guild and the gladiator's guild in upper positions training new recruit's.

NPC's only tend to treat Lalafells with this kind of stereotyping when a particular lalafell NPC exhibits those over the top cutesy traits, and even then, it's not because of their race, but because of their character. (Like Sisipu from LL, or Tataru)

So the main thing is, lalafell are not "cute little snuggly things". They CAN be, but it should not be treated IC as a rule to encapsulate all lalafell. And to do so is contrasting the established game precedent towards the race. It's the same as if everyone treated Miqo'te as being extraordinarily cat-like as a rule, like having a fondness for balls of yarn or talking with an abundance of R's thrown in. Will some people play their Miqo'te like that? Sure. Does it make it ok to treat every Miqo'te player as if that's expected? Certainly not.

While I don't think any in-game stereotypes exist among NPCs as extreme as treating lalafell like their own personal teddy bear like some PCs are prone to do, I was planning on giving my character a bit of an inferiority thing where he feels he has to prove himself a lot. I would never specifically say it's because of his height, but I think that would be implied. He would be the valiant knight type but with an arrogance or bravado to him that another race of that archetype probably wouldn't have.