New to FFXIV. How to start RPing?

Nekoni

Hi all,

Brand new to the game. Always been glimpsing at the MMO from afar... since it seemed like a huge time investment and kinda daunting (specially with the multiple expansions that it has at this point). Decided to give it a try, since I would love to dive into the Role Playing aspect of it. Still, even before starting I already encounter troubles.

Apparently not all serves are made equal?

You need to be invited into a specific house to RP?

Not all RP is the same in each server?

Some servers don't even have RPs?

So many questions...

Please feel free to answer any or all of them.

Would love to be educated on the subject.

Hello! I've moved this over to the Welcome Desk forum as the Town Square is for in-character posts. (Forum-based RP, journals, stories, etc).

12 minutes ago, Nekoni said:

Apparently not all serves are made equal?

Not all RP is the same in each server?

Some servers don't even have RPs?

Since these seem to all be regarding the same general question, most RP can be found on the Crystal Data Center, specifically concentrated on the worlds Balmung and Mateus. Before the Cross-World features were added, each world server was separate and the only way to interact with other characters on the same data center was through instanced content like dungeons and raids. Now that we have World Visit, you can easily access any world in your datacenter, although certain features like Free Companies, Linkshells, and Retainers are only available on your home server. For this reason, most RPers do still choose to get onto one of these worlds for ease of finding groups, but it's not strictly needed. As long as you're in the Crystal Data Center, you can just world-visit to wherever you want to be to roleplay.

In terms of other datacenters/worlds, you will find smaller groups of RP, but not to the same extent. Aether has some RP on Faerie, Jenova, and Siren, but I don't know how many people are active. Primal has RP on Hyperion, which can be found at the Lucky 7s and Tepe's Treasures FCs. Do note that some of their RP is more ERP focused. If you're in the EU, you'll find RP on Omega. And if you're on one of the Japanese data centers, I have not heard of many RPers there at all. 

13 minutes ago, Nekoni said:

You need to be invited into a specific house to RP?

After Free Company and Player Housing were introduced, many players began to use their houses as venues for RP. You'll still find a lot of open-world RP on the more RP-focused servers, especially in cities and settlements. There are some people who also RP out in the various fields and zones as well, but these are typically for planned events. 

If by "specific house" you meant a Free Company or Linkshell, those aren't necessary for RP, but can enhance your experience by finding groups of like-minded individuals.