Scratching an Itch

MMORPG background

I started to play MMO's in HS with EQ and Anarchy Online.  I continued the past time through college I bounced between a few MMO's such as Starwars Galaxies, Matrix online and D&D Online.  I even volunteered time for a community of Shout-casters where we ran a number of internet radio stations tailored to MMO's.  We would often hold in game events and parties with in game...  While I may not be new to MMO's and in game RP I am definitely rusty.  After an extended Hiatus from MMO's I had an itch that needs to be scratched.

RP experience

My first exposure to proper RP in MMO was withing Matrix Online.  I also got involved we a group in College were we played D&D 1.5 (LONG LIVE THE FROGS OF DOOM!!).  About 2 years ago some old friends from my D&D Online days started to run D&D 5e on Roll 20.  Out little group is slowly growing into a community where we are now running various games twice a week.  We are currently running games for D&D, Dresden Files accelerated and Cuthulu online.

Character ideas/info

Kangus Skyblade Hyur Highland Adventurer who was trained by his uncle with use of a lance.  I plan to work my way up to a Dragoon at this time but that is the extent of development at this time.  I am still working on making my way through the lore before I start invest in writhing a background.

How did you learn about the coalition?

I was consulting the google for FFXIV Servers when i came across this community.

What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? (e.g. Light, medium, or heavy)

medium

Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc.)

I am a father of two, a bit of a work aholic, and wish there was more hours in the day to contribute to hobbies.  I am also horrible with grammar\spelling so i typically RP a drunk or someone who is less educated to make up for it :)

Thank you for the welcomes.  I am curious what everyone thoughts are about applying to join a FC\LS while at a low level and learning the game.  Would it be better to play through the story quest first before getting invested into RP so i have a stronger grasp of the lore?

That's the real question, isn't it? Playing through the entire thing could easily take a month or more. At the same time, a lot of the current geopolitical status of the game world is included with the storyline and is necessary for RP, some of which you might run into as spoilers during RP anyway. Long story short: it depends. It'd be better to wait, but realistically, you could be waiting a long time. I'd say getting up past Stormblood is probably the minimum. 

19 hours ago, lordofchance said:

Thank you for the welcomes.  I am curious what everyone thoughts are about applying to join a FC\LS while at a low level and learning the game.  Would it be better to play through the story quest first before getting invested into RP so i have a stronger grasp of the lore?

You're very welcome! Ultimately it's whatever you're more comfortable with. As long as you've got the basics of the world down and don't RP anything that's delving too deep into the lore just yet, you're plenty ready to start RPing with anyone who can have some patience that you're just getting started. It can take a while to play through the entire MSQ, and FC's and LS's are usually glad to help teach about lore as well as help you with content as you level.