Bar Fights/ General RP Confrontation

Ayleo

Hey all I'm fairly new to RP. Chose a Mercenary/Body Guard as my background. So I have been RPing that I'm currently employed by one of  my RL friends (who plays a female character). Her character is young and adventurous and clueless comes from a rich family and is carefree. 

Usually bar/speak easy scene is where we hang out she dances around and gets "tipsy" and makes friends while I loom in the shadows drinking and observing and checking in every so often to make sure she's doing fine.

So my question is here I had a confrontation last night of 1 person chatting with her i walked up and things where going fine. She waved me away and said yes everything's fine just having a nice chat. So I nodded and continued about my business. When I noticed this guy had 6-7 others with him his "crew" as he called them all run up and draw their weapons on me. Naturally i attempted to RP with them but they just stood there with weapons drawn. I asked if there was a problem or something wrong since I didn't really provoke any reason for this. They didn't leave me alone the rest of the night and kept following me around weapons drawn. The bartender told me to just ignore them they are just trolls and  I get that but if they wanted to RP a fight how do folks go about that? 

I read that there's usually two options (I'm sure there might be more):

1. Roll play it out which could take HOURS and only works if both parties are on board … but 1 vs 6 Lol come on that's stupid.

2. Random roll to see how the fight plays out (again 1v6...really)

I just ignored them the rest of the night and went about my business most of them ended up getting bored and left me alone but two followed me around and attempted to RP but where really terrible at it (not sure if they where new or just had god complexes).

Any feed back would be sweet since I'm learning this myself still.

-Ayleo

Edited by Ayleo

Hey man- welcome aboard to the RPC! o/

Based on what you've described for your specific circumstance, it sounds like you encountered a bunch of green roleplayers who didn't have any idea on how to proceed. At worst, they were trolling for some laughs potentially, at least up until the two that remained who actually made some effort, who might be toying with the idea of actually trying roleplay out for the first time. Sometimes that's how people get started! 

But on the larger topic... if it were a legit situation with genuine RP'ers?

Sometimes you're going to run into a situation where a character has friends nearby that will side with them in a showdown. That's just the nature of the dynamic situation of RP: it's not always going to be fair any more than the real world. The only real "fix" to even the odds is to bring some of your character's own friends (or forge some new connections so you have that option in the future), but obviously as more people are introduced to a conflict situation, it becomes more challenging to resolve beyond leaving it as a stalemate or talking the situation down. Regardless, OOC communication is vital when trying to resolve an IC conflict: everyone involved needs to decide if they want to simply RP it out, roll dice to determine the outcome, or opt for some other means to resolve it. If the situation rubs you the wrong way or it doesn't feel right or there's something else going on, the best option is simply to walk away. 

All that said, most RP'ers don't travel with a posse and, if conflict does happen, are generally happy to try and work it out amicably OOC for the sake of the IC portion proceeding smoothly. 

Hello there and welcome!

RP is a collaborative effort and so a lot things really just come down to communication and cooperation. It's really up to you decide if you want to freeform RP it (I wouldn't really recommend it with strangers), or rolling, or how many hits will mean a victory, or if you want to discuss who will be the victor beforehand OOC... it's all for you and the other RPer(s) to agree on OOC. And if you can't reach an agreement, just remember you have no obligation to interact with anyone IC or even OOC.