New but Old!

Hello guys!

Played FFXIV yeaaars and yeaars ago. Decided to recently get back into it so I'm preeetty much a noob again! That being said, I am a veteran roleplayer and I really enjoyed that aspect of the game when I played last. I'm not sure if this forum is still active - can anyone offer some tips? It seems Balmung is still the go to server for roleplayers? That being said, my new character is on the Odin server. 

I'm a woman irl, with female identifying characters - interested in m/f, f/f, poly. 

If anyone is interested in playing with me, please give me a shout! 

Welcome back!
Yes, Balmung and Mateus seem to be the go to servers mostly for RP.
World Visit is a thing so any server could be fine I suppose if getting to one of those servers is not possible.
There could also be an EU roleplay server but I know nothing about that because my EU friends stuck to balmung.

Hello, and welcome back!

As another recently returned player, I'd say Balmung may be best if you used to play there and want to reconnect with other veterans, while Mateus may be better if you want to start anew. Mateus is also more often open to new character creation, and it's currently a preferred server so new characters get an XP bonus. As Elaris said, since both servers are on the same datacenter, characters can visit the other server anyway.

I don't recall seeing much RP on Odin in the short time I spent there, but maybe that has changed. As far as I'm aware, Omega is the more popular EU RP server (although many pre-ARR EU players stayed on Balmung).

53 minutes ago, Elaris said:

Welcome back!
Yes, Balmung and Mateus seem to be the go to servers mostly for RP.
World Visit is a thing so any server could be fine I suppose if getting to one of those servers is not possible.
There could also be an EU roleplay server but I know nothing about that because my EU friends stuck to balmung.

Ooooh what's world visit, and how do you do it, if you don't mind me asking?

24 minutes ago, Neiev said:

Hello, and welcome back!

As another recently returned player, I'd say Balmung may be best if you used to play there and want to reconnect with other veterans, while Mateus may be better if you want to start anew. Mateus is also more often open to new character creation, and it's currently a preferred server so new characters get an XP bonus. As Elaris said, since both servers are on the same datacenter, characters can visit the other server anyway.

I don't recall seeing much RP on Odin in the short time I spent there, but maybe that has changed. As far as I'm aware, Omega is the more popular EU RP server (although many pre-ARR EU players stayed on Balmung).

Ahhh thank you so much for the information! Perhaps I'd better try Mateus, as I'm still trying to remember how to even play the game!

For World Visit, You can do this only from the 3 main city Aetherytes.
Interact with the Aetheryte, You will be given the option to Visit Another World that are located on your datacenter.
So I'm on balmung, if I go to Ul'dah and interact with the Aethryte, It would allow me to go visit Mateus for example.
I can do content over there, hang out, and RP. I can log out there and the like.

1 minute ago, Elaris said:

For World Visit, You can do this only from the 3 main city Aetherytes.
Interact with the Aetheryte, You will be given the option to Visit Another World that are located on your datacenter.
So I'm on balmung, if I go to Ul'dah and interact with the Aethryte, It would allow me to go visit Mateus for example.
I can do content over there, hang out, and RP. I can log out there and the like.

Ohhh how handy! Thank you so much for the info!

1 hour ago, Merai the Vixen said:

Is there an area that people meet up for roleplaying on any of those servers? Like...do people go to a tavern in Gridania, or...? 

If you're interested in tavern RP, you can definitely find it in the main cities. Of the three starting ones, Ul'dah seems to be the most popular. If your character likes gambling, the Gold Saucer would also (obviously) be a good place. Many Free Companies also have tavern-type settings and/or hold events in the various housing districts; you can find more information about that on here in the Upcoming Events and Club sections. Other than that, you can also flag yourself for RP in game by editing your search info to encourage people to interact with you.

Edited by Neiev