New player dipping toes into RP

Hi! I just started FF a few months ago, and I love it.  I was a die hard WoW player, and Role player.  I'd like to try out RP in FF, but I'm absolutely clueless where to start, how much lore goes into it, etc.

Looking for conversations about RP, RP contacts, etc!

Hi! Thanks or the responses!  I think the first question I have for everyone is....is there a gathering hub for RP?  I was told the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah on Balmung, but when I got there I was also told that was primarily for ERP :|  So now I'm very confused if there's pop up RP, or if it's primarily events?

If you want a fulltime open world hub, Ul'dah on Balmung is your best bet. There are people at the Quicksand (Adventurer's Guild) looking for totally ordinary RP. However, where people looking for RP go, so do people looking for ERP. Whether it's non-RPers who think that all RP is ERP, or RPers themselves frustrated with some experiences they've had, "the Quicksand is full of ERP!" became the rumor, which other people took as the gospel and spread themselves, and it... became a self-fulfilling prophecy where anyone looking for ERP had heard all the talk and flooded to the Quicksand lol. So it did used to be the RP hub, but now to avoid all the ERPers, a lot of the other RPers have moved right outside the Quicksand into Pearl Lane to look for RP. I recommend looking there in the Lane instead! Please don't let any naysayers dissuade you from looking for RP around there. There is pop-up RP, but a lot of people do primarily stick to events, RP with friends and FC mates, or planned RP meetings. So I recommend looking into all those avenues!

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except on Malboro. I've been trying to dip into random events and such, but it seems like it's a lot easier if one finds an active FC. I am considering making a second character on a more rp populated server to use for rp purposes, but since I have a house and such on my main, I'm not sure I want to go through the getting a character established process again either. 

Making friends is hard. Solidarity. 

That's  good advice!  I'd gone to the Quicksand (I couldn't remember the name for the life of me!) a few times, and nothing happened the first two times, then I had two people in quick succession ask me about some pretty graphic scenes!  But I think I'll pop over to the lane sometime and see what's good there!

Definitely avoid leaning on or standing near banisters in the quicksand.  Those rpers mostly, have a specific flavor that they fulfill for people.  You'll find a lot of the general rpers either at the bar or sitting at the tables in the middle of the building.  I could also direct you to a linkshell I'm in with some pretty awesome people that can get you set up with rp, if you're just looking for the general variety.

Welcome welcome! Hope you've been enjoying your time thus far!

I wouldn't say the Quicksand is full of ERPers -- but boy, the sheer amount of people really is overwhelming. My first time in there, attempting to RP, caused me to nearly insta-log. But I had a much easier time in the Pearl Lane of Ul'dah, located in the Steps of Thal. A lot less people means a lot less chat spam. Also, I feel like the RP started out of there is usually a little more interesting than that of the Quicksand (personal opinion, of course!)

As far as lore, one resource I always find myself hoping back to is Mirke's Menagerie! https://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/167534982764/mirkemenagerie-update I appreciate that they often quote things found directly in-game as their sources. If I were you, I'd research just a bit about whatever interests you, as a basis for your character. But simply put, not every character is a genius! Lots of characters aren't learned and can be ignorant of many things. Even I abuse that fact sometimes, as an excuse of my simply not knowing things OOC either. But from my experience, other players are often forgiving about lore, so long as you (and your character) aren't making obscenely incorrect proclamations in earnest.

I'm not new to rp but, rather moved from rp on imvu to rp on ffxiv. First is finding a rp server that doesn't often lock up almost 24/7. Vieled I believe you told me Balmung is #1, and Mateus a No.2, I guess i'll try to make my fc on Mateus see if how hard it is to find people to join it :P

I made my character's rp profile but haven't gotten feedback on it yet lol.

When you guys talk about going to the lane, I'm sorry but i'm not getting where that is lolz/

Edited by ParanoiaOrigins
On 11/8/2020 at 3:23 PM, ParanoiaOrigins said:

I'm not new to rp but, rather moved from rp on imvu to rp on ffxiv. First is finding a rp server that doesn't often lock up almost 24/7. Vieled I believe you told me Balmung is #1, and Mateus a No.2, I guess i'll try to make my fc on Mateus see if how hard it is to find people to join it :P

I made my character's rp profile but haven't gotten feedback on it yet lol.

When you guys talk about going to the lane, I'm sorry but i'm not getting where that is lolz/

Pearl Lane, it's in Ul'dah, outside the Quicksand (Adventurer's Guild). It's marked on the map.

If you really struggle with finding it:

The quicksand is in the top right in the Nald area

790px-Ul'dah_-_Steps_of_Nald_cropped.png

The Lane is here by the flag, in the east of the Thal area

tumblr_inline_ohc2ftdily1szycnw_500.png

Essentially, when you are on a street full of shopping stalls, go one lane to the west and you are on Pearl Lane

50 minutes ago, MangoMoony said:

If you really struggle with finding it:

The quicksand is in the top right in the Nald area

790px-Ul'dah_-_Steps_of_Nald_cropped.png

The Lane is here by the flag, in the east of the Thal area

tumblr_inline_ohc2ftdily1szycnw_500.png

Essentially, when you are on a street full of shopping stalls, go one lane to the west and you are on Pearl Lane

all this time i never know that o.o ok thanks you guys