Hello from a Shy Roleplayer!

Danica

Hi everyone!

I'm Danica Nepovim on Omega!

I've roleplayed outside of FFXIV for 20 years or so (over email and docs, original fantasy plotlines), so I have a lot of general roleplay experience.

I would love to dip into roleplay within FFXIV itself, but I'm very nervous about doing so. So far I've just been standing on the sidelines observing other roleplayers. I think most of my apprehension comes from being worried about not being entirely to grips with the lore, as I'm so used to writing original content where everything is as it exists in my own head! I've only been playing since mid-late 2020, and I've completed the main story quests, but I still feel like there's a great deal that I don't know. I'm already aware that my character's name is not very canon for a Xaela; I'm more interested in circumventing that than I am in changing it!

I'd also really like to make some in-game friends. I find it quite difficult to start up conversation with people and haven't spoken to anyone other than my IRL partner's guild friends, and only very barely. They're not interested in roleplay (and my guild tag is always changing to something silly, which doesn't help me being shy), so I'd probably be looking to move to another guild once I meet a group of people with similar interests. It's silly, but I feel a bit isolated in an MMO, of all places! Thankfully, Danica is much bolder than I am!

Please feel free to say hello if you see me, or I can often be found hiding around Ward 19, Plot 49 of the Lavender Beds (and feel free to look at my cosy little home! I'm paranoid I'm going to walk in there one day and the sliding door will pull back to reveal a stranger in my tub)! I'm not completely sure how linkshells work, but I'd be happy to be a part of one!

Hello there and welcome!

Good to see another roleplayer on Omega. I fully understand the shyness, I've been roleplaying for over 20 years and I still get nervous about approaching strangers. Omega has quite a vibrant roleplay community and the Chaos(formally Omega only but it expanded) discord is a great resource for finding and connecting with people; you and your partner may already be aware of it but here is a link just incase https://discord.gg/kRUcnGcj7e. I've been away from the game for a little while myself thanks to issues in the real world so I'm not sure on the roleplay linkshells atm but I recall some do exist(folks on the discord should hopefully be able to help with that).

Try not to be too worried by the lore, it can be a bit daunting, but applying a bit of sense and restraint to your character to begin with can help you to get through until you either learn more or find people you can ask. I find this Wiki is also really useful for looking things up, there may be better sources of lore but it's the best one I've found so far outside of the game. Feel free to drop me a DM if you want to ask me anything or exchange discords, as I said I'm not able to play at the moment but do hope to return soon and I'm always very happy to make more friends. 😄