Very new to this game!

Riposte

Heya!  Long time roleplayer, but very new to this game.  It's kind of exciting learning about a whole new world.  I like to be lore abiding, so I probably won't go into a lot of RP just yet, but I'd love to find some hubs to get my toes wet at some point.  So far the game feels very story driven, which I enjoy.

As for my style of RP, I prefer plots where characters grow and tend to take on a more supporting role to other's stories.  Not sure why, but my character is there to push your character forward!  I mirror emotes, though I can sometimes get a little wordy.  I try to keep my emotes within the character limit to be courteous.

I'm also an artist!  I've done some character portraits for people here in the past.  Well, not HERE exactly.  It was over on tumblr.  I may make a post with all that old art just to see if those people are still active and around and just to say hey again!  I did those pieces years ago but they're still some of my best and favorites!

I'll attach an example of the kind of art I do now.

I rolled on Mateus, so hopefully I'll see some of you guys around!

IMG_0481 (1).JPG

Welcome to Mateus!! Your style sounds amazing. I'd love to touch base and swap notes sometime ^^

Let me know if you have any questions about game and lore (especially crafting. Crafting and rp are my favorite focuses in the game).

I hope you enjoy your journey!

Oh well definitely!  Is crafting in this game more important than other MMOs have their crafting system?  I also just recently found out that our starting class evolves into jobs, so that'll be interesting to decide my direction.  I like that though, but I'm afraid of picking the "wrong" job.  Does the game comprehensively break down the mechanics of each job before you choose?  Also, how do you guys roleplay the transition from class to job (some of them at a glance seem different than the base class)?  Or should I avoid roleplaying until I get my job?  I likely will anyway so I can have a solid understanding of the world, but casual RP doesn't really need a whole backstory.

Crafting can be! It's great for earning gil, making your own mogs and furniture (You can get your own house/apartment and decorate it!! :D ), and making your own best in slot (BiS) gear if you are into content. But your gaming experience won't suffer without it if it isn't your cup of tea. 

And here is the great thing: You don't have to stick with your starting class! You can go to the capitals and pick up extra classes and professions from the guilds! 
One of my friends is an Omni - someone who has maxed leveled and mastered gameplay of every class and job!
I'm an Omni-crafter myself - I mastered all the crafting and gathering professions, along with the masterrecipes. :)

You can practice the classes on training dummies, and the Guildhests will teach you the classes basic functions like healing, dps, avoiding status effects, etc.

Whoops! I forgot a couple there: 
You CAN rp out your character as their class and job, and their learning as they level up. I generally don't, being I see content and rp as separtate animals. Being lore appropriate and experience appropriate easily trumps the stats and in-game stuff. I recommend doing the class quest more to know the lore- such as fact only warrior of light got a special pass to learn white magic.

You can totally rp! Just let peeps know you are learning lore and welcome constructive feedback. Just keep in mind you might need to tweak your character background or experience here and there to catch lore bits. 

Whoa I had no idea you can pick up extra classes!  That's so cool!  I'll have to look into that at some point.

Crafting is something that in some games I do to get the cool exclusive stuff.  I'm still very new to the game to know what content I'll be interested in pursuing, or if this'll be mainly RP.  Are there RP hubs, or is this one of those games where you have to know people to get the RP?

Yes! You can unlock and play every class and job. Some have prerequisites and quest chains to unlock. But they are all attainable by anyone. You aren't expected to be the classes you level- just the lore for the one(s) that fit your chara's backstory :D

There are several hubs and community finders all over. In fact, in game you'll see a community finder icon, where you can look up linkshells, free companies, and clubs in game. My friend and I just got to a point where we are expanding outside our FC (free company- a guild of players to rp and content with.). If your future character likes teaching and philanthropic efforts to help people move forward, our FC focuses on those kind of things. Feel free to reach out if you want any info later on.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to help with crafting, basic gameplay, and rp related questions. My friend Eirene is a guru on combat and dungeons/raid. They know all the classes and effective combat strategies for each class-- and lore! I am getting there, but they are huge lore-fountains if you want to know details about races, classes, and world.

Edited by MystLastleaf
added details about community finder