Character Journals?

Question for y'all: do any of you keep any form of character journals? If yes, in what format and what platform do you use? How much time do you spend on it, on average?

If no, have you done it before? Why did you stop? Or if you've never done it, have you considered doing so?

I'm considering doing it, maybe short little entries on Tumblr or maybe on my World Anvil account, but I don't know how well I would keep up with it. Then again, practicing creative writing is always a good (and fun) thing to do I guess. Any thoughts? :) 

As it turns out there are many journals kept right here on this very site.

In the Town Square you will see many posts with the Journal tag. There is even a directory of those journals and you can also collect and peruse them by clicking on the Journal Tag itself.

If you are of a mind to do some recreational coding there is a popular wiki with character profiles and images and such, some of them are quite involved and most are persistent works in progress.

If you still prefer to keep your own pages then any site with which you feel comfortable will do and you can just link to it in your signature to give other people a chance to find and enjoy what you have written.

Edited by Avant

Ah yes, thank you, I've been eyeing those actually! Can't make up my mind if I want to invest time in it or not though, hence the questions! :D 

But thank you for the links and info, much appreciated!

I kept an IC journal on tumblr for a while! The only problem is on top of being lazy, oftentimes I barely have time to fit in RP as is, much less recap that RP in a journal, so I was pretty inconsistent and eventually fell off. I'd love to pick it up again sometime, though! (Also dealt with some OOC criticism for being "mean" for my character's written thoughts on other characters who were intentionally being antagonistic to her IC, so that's a thing to look out for, I guess?)

Edited by Faye
10 hours ago, Faye said:

I kept an IC journal on tumblr for a while! The only problem is on top of being lazy, oftentimes I barely have time to fit in RP as is, much less recap that RP in a journal, so I was pretty inconsistent and eventually fell off. I'd love to pick it up again sometime, though! (Also dealt with some OOC criticism for being "mean" for my character's written thoughts on other characters who were intentionally being antagonistic to her IC, so that's a thing to look out for, I guess?)

Huh, they were concerned with IC stuff like that? That's.. a bit weird? I mean, that would most likely break immersion for me. It's not like my characters' thoughts reflect my personal OOC thoughts!

But anyway, thanks for the reply! I think I would most likely end up getting not much journaling done, since I, too, lack the time for rp. But hm, now that I've been roleplaying through Discord, it's not that big of an issue anymore.... And I wouldn't really have to make such a big, consistent deal out of it....

*Keeps pondering* :'D

20 hours ago, Gospel Lightfaith said:

There are actually Blogs available right here on the RPC!  (You find them by clicking the "More" tab at the top and going down that menu to Blogs -- It's a weirdly hidden and highly underutilized feature!)

Oh wow, okay, cool, thank you! :D I had completely missed that feature haha! I'll give it a little look. :)