Family members who went away but you stayed behind.

Hey all, quick question for you with regards to the characters who have been teleported away, hows is it working with family members.  

For example I am new to ffxiv and don't have a 1.0 character so Khaze'to is someone who was never at the fight and never got telepoted, makes sense right.  However he had family who were at the fight and were moved through time (elder brother and sister).  I get that we forget who the warriors of light are and we can't recall names/faces so does that mean that;

A, He forgot he had a brother and sister who went away. 

B, He remembers that he had a brother and sister but for the life of him can not recall any details about them other than they exist. (This seems the most likely to me)

C, He knows his brother and sister from an early age and remembers them as such but any more recent knowledge of them, from a certain cut of point is now null and void so he would not recognise them or know them in any way. (this seems unlikely to me but it is an option I have seen before)

I can work with any of the above ideas but its messing with my head how I should proceed with the last fifteen years of his life as I don't want to set on something and then have to retcon it later.  I know that there is not a lot of information about this but hey, this is what we do right?

People's memories (and not just those whoever was there, but EVERYONE... this mean the innkeepers in the main towns too!) of what exactly happened and who the Warriors of Light were are all confused and hazy and, essentially, not there.

I'm pretty sure everyone's memories of everything else (anything not related to Dalamud or the WoL) is alright.

The Warriors of Light however are those NPC guys in the intro, not the PC's, I think.

Could be wrong, but that's what I gather from what little beta I managed to play last Friday.

This is a really good question and I really wish I could help answer it. Wart had a lot of friends that fought at the battle. The only reason he didn't go was because of a broken leg. So I'm wondering the same thing. Sorry I can't help, but I can at least bump the thread a little.

People's memories (and not just those whoever was there, but EVERYONE... this mean the innkeepers in the main towns too!) of what exactly happened and who the Warriors of Light were are all confused and hazy and, essentially, not there.

I'm pretty sure everyone's memories of everything else (anything not related to Dalamud or the WoL) is alright.

Could be wrong, but that's what I gather from what little beta I managed to play last Friday.

You think it could be closer to C then? I mean that would give him an extra reason to leave the twelves wood when hes finished there to go look for his wandering siblings,  

But then would he remember what they looked like? He could be searching a long time.  ahh this is hurting my head and its far to early in the morning for this.. :D

Didn't see the bit about the PC's not being the warriors of light, sadly they are which is what makes it so confusing to me.

The Warriors of Light however are those NPC guys in the intro, not the PC's, I think.

Anyone that participated in the battle and subsequently transported through time are dubbed "Warriors of Light" due to people not being able to remember the various adventurers (not just the stereotypical FMV adventurers), various claiming all they can see are silhouettes, unable to see the faces or remember the names of those who became lost to time.

I would submit that everyone remembers their family and friends. If you had a sister/brother that went into battle, you remember them, but you don't necessarily remember they went into battle (and from in-game convos, they would be unsure if they went as well).

It is not really A,B, or C. It is basically (IMO) we all have a moment in time that has been suppressed/forgotten.

To complicate matters, I would even think that many people who participated in the battle remember they were in it (and also the loved ones remember them going to battle) but as the battle started/raged...no memories.

I don't think the world sees that everyone who went into battle were/are the "warriors of light": Only a select few are that but that "few" can be implied to be "Player Characters". So, the army cooks and the guys who polished spears and toted water? Yeah, they were at the battle and are not "WoL": They know they were in a battle, but not the details. Even who won or ultimately lost because "memory gap". Same with the generals on the sidelines who led things.

"WoL" is pretty vague and ambiguous; anyone could be one, even some NPCs. Heck, people could lie about being one and not many would know (unless someone remembered he was hiding).

Basically, all people remember their lives before/after the battle/calamity but not during the epic/finale.

I dunno, the Warriors of Light was the name given to the 4 heroes in Final Fantasy, it's a pretty iconic name for an adventuring party.

Couldn't find anything about it for FF XIV though, aside from how CE owners get a Warrior of Light hat or something. :P

I'd still say it sounds more like C, though. KKhaze'to would know his sibblings and recognize them but wouldn't know they were actually at the battle and would wonder wtf they were doing for the past 5 years. :P

One of my secondary characters is an Elezen, and while he stayed behind (he was too young to participate in the battle of Cartenau, or be an adventurer entirely), his older brother was brought into the future. So I'm going to RP him not remembering his brother's face or name. He is however aware of having had an older brother, and remembers his presence in the past, like words he may have said or things he may have done. He just can't come up with who he was exactly.

I would submit that everyone remembers their family and friends. If you had a sister/brother that went into battle, you remember them, but you don't necessarily remember they went into battle (and from in-game convos, they would be unsure if they went as well).

It is not really A,B, or C. It is basically (IMO) we all have a moment in time that has been suppressed/forgotten.

To complicate matters, I would even think that many people who participated in the battle remember they were in it (and also the loved ones remember them going to battle) but as the battle started/raged...no memories.

I don't think the world sees that everyone who went into battle were/are the "warriors of light": Only a select few are that but that "few" can be implied to be "Player Characters". So, the army cooks and the guys who polished spears and toted water? Yeah, they were at the battle and are not "WoL": They know they were in a battle, but not the details. Even who won or ultimately lost because "memory gap". Same with the generals on the sidelines who led things.

"WoL" is pretty vague and ambiguous; anyone could be one, even some NPCs. Heck, people could lie about being one and not many would know (unless someone remembered he was hiding).

Basically, all people remember their lives before/after the battle/calamity but not during the epic/finale.

That makes a certain amount of sense to me and definitely would allow me to move past my writers block when it comes to this subject.

As I said I haven't got a 1.0 version character and I don't know what the cut scene that some of them get reveals about it, are you saying they don't really remember what happened either then?

So in your opinion I can talk to my family, know they are my family and all that good stuff and its just a case that no one would know they were some of the warriors of light (If i chose to make them that way at least).

So many different opinions, I guess like many things its really open to interpretation until we get a definite answer one way or another. Is anyone with a registered account able to ask this on the lodestone, I can't but we might be able to get an answer from the lore people there.

One of my secondary characters is an Elezen, and while he stayed behind (he was too young to participate in the battle of Cartenau, or be an adventurer entirely), his older brother was brought into the future. So I'm going to RP him not remembering his brother's face or name. He is however aware of having had an older brother, and remembers his presence in the past, like words he may have said or things he may have done. He just can't come up with who he was exactly.

I'm in the boat as well. JJ has two children. Twins. Alex didn't time skip, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with Grace. Oh yeah, JJ time skipped. 

Until we get more lore, I'm playing the "I forgot my father's (and sister's) name(s) and face(s)!"

I'm in the boat as well. JJ has two children. Twins. Alex didn't time skip, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with Grace. Oh yeah, JJ time skipped. 

Until we get more lore, I'm playing the "I forgot my father's (and sister's) name(s) and face(s)!"

This was how I was originally going to play it but I thought I would ask here and get you good peoples opinions on the matter.

I dunno, the Warriors of Light was the name given to the 4 heroes in Final Fantasy, it's a pretty iconic name for an adventuring party.

Couldn't find anything about it for FF XIV though, aside from how CE owners get a Warrior of Light hat or something. :P

Well, from my perspective, it is pretty obvious that all Player Characters are the Warriors of Light. Of course, an RPer is free to ignore that, but the game cinematics and some missions seem to hint at that. I've also seen cinematics of certain NPCs in charge, but not directly involved in fighting. I am pretty sure those cinematics are solely for the benefit of the player (not their character) to remember/fill-in details. It is mostly for the "benefit of the viewing audience". It is unclear if the NPCs remember these events or not, possibly not, although I can see some "fuzzy memory if they should ever run into a certain masked black-clad antagonist.

The mantra about most MMOs is that *you*, the *player* are important and "the hero" so from that perspective, it would be natural to envelope all players in this blanket that they could be a "Warrior of Light"; the FF series re-uses concepts and in different forms, so the "group of 4" could definitely expand. Also, look at the last cinematic: The Iconic people in that fight that got saved by Louisix (sp) are more than 4 and could definitely be considered "Warriors of Light". By the same nature, those Iconics should represent "us". That's just how these cinematics on these MMOs work.

Hmmm.. most MMO's work that way but most MMO's also don't have an iconic adventurer party who's directly involved in everything major going on in the story.

Still, everything Black said makes sense so I'm gonna abide but his opinion unless in-game stuffs says otherwise.

I'd still say it sounds more like C, though. KKhaze'to would know his sibblings and recognize them but wouldn't know they were actually at the battle and would wonder wtf they were doing for the past 5 years. :P

Just because the term was used for a small band of adventurers in the original Final Fantasy does not mean it is the same here. We still have the iconic summons, the moogles, the chocobos, and lots of shout-outs to prebious games, but the details of what they are and how we interact with them are unique to this game.

For instance, in earlier games Ifrit was just a bit of magic, it had no detailed origins or reasons for existing, it was just there. In FFX it was a collection of human souls coalescing into a physical form for a summoner to use. And here in FFXIV, it is a dark "god" that requires the faith of its beastmen (and the people they convert) in order to stay on the physical plane without returning to the Aether.

The characters in the openings are merely "mascots," not real characters (unless one of you has seen that specific group as NPCs, in which case I will bake you a nice batch of cookies) because the player is meant to be the protagonist of the game.

From what I've read in the game while playing it, here's what I know about the Warriors of Light and the issues surrounding them:

• The Warriors of Light are implied to be the people with the Echo (a.k.a. 1.0 characters) who fought in the final battle and were transported through time by Louisoix. This is used in game to explain why all 1.0 characters still exist from an out of game perspective. All 1.0 characters have also been "marked" on their backs by the experience, which you can see in screenshots of 1.0 characters. All 1.0 characters also experience the story differently as if they were transported through time, as stated by Yoshi P. himself. If that doesn't qualify them as the Warriors of Light, then I don't know what else possibly could.
  • People (NPCs) who were not at the battle but had experiences with the WoL still remember that they existed and that they did things, but their memories of what happened during and immediately after the battle are fuzzy and while they remember the Warriors of Light as people that affected their lives, they cannot remember their names or faces. It's kind of like remembering someone you knew when you were a small child, you know they were there and the basics of what kind of relationship you had with them, but the details have been lost.
  • People who were at the battle (the Grand Company leaders) but were not teleported still remember the battle itself, they just cannot remember the details of who the brave warriors were, in the same vein as the other NPCs.
  • With the amount of story we have been given in phase 3, we haven't yet seen what happens with anyone who was related to one of the Warriors by blood or friendship, which is why this is a conundrum.

Personally, I don't have an answer because Square Enix has not given us one. We just don't know how strong "the power of love" is in Eorzea, so we can't say for certainty what would and would not be remembered by people who were closely related to one of the Warriors.

If it were me, I would play it as they have amnesia+. They still can't remember the specific details (like exactly how they looked, or how their name was spelled) but they can remember what kind of relation they had to them and how they interacted with them up until they disappeared/died. If they ever met them again, they could fill in the gaps they don't have and regain that closeness with them, but because of the time distortion it will always feel a little different.

Anyway, my two cents.

EDIT: Herp derp Black beat me to the punch. WHY DO I TYPE SO MUCH.