linkshell interest guage - repeatable content as IC canon...

So, rather than jumping the gun and deciding I'll be creating a linkshell all on my own, I'm here to see if there's an interest in what I'd like to do.  

I was thinking of creating a linkshell for repeat content (specifically looking at things like dungeons for now, but as more of the game applies it could encompass that as well).  All runs would be done IC, with the premise that those in the shell are aware that they've run the dungeon before (after they've run it once of course).  I know some roleplayers prefer to treat dungeons as OOC, and I respect that completely as in game mechanics and RP don't always work well together  (I'm looking at you superfast day/night cycle!).  However, with things like the Echo and even the opening cutscene new players are treated to, there seems to be some wiggle room to explore this concept within lore.  Part of the point is letting people come up with IC ways to try to explain how such a thing could be.

Probably just looking for a small group to start (at least enough to do runs at first, though who knows, if others are interested maybe we'll look larger).  But it would function somewhat as a secret society (in part to keep from conflicting with the stories of those who keep dungeon runs as OOC).  First rule of... well ok, Fight Club refs are old. x]

If no one is interested no problem.  But if this sounds appealing to anyone let me know (here, via PM, whatever. =))

ETA: I should have posted this originally, but even though I'm not legacy, I am planning to start up on Balmung.

Wow. Talk about timing. I just posted a thread asking a question about repeated content. I'd love to join another linkshell for this (if I can, that is. I forget how many you can join). It's a good idea and I'd be happy to help you with it if you need.

Wow. Talk about timing. I just posted a thread asking a question about repeated content. I'd love to join another linkshell for this (if I can, that is. I forget how many you can join). It's a good idea and I'd be happy to help you with it if you need.

Hahaha, I know.  xD  Too amusing.  I had to post in your thread, too.

But awesome!  I'd be very happy to have you along (I was worried no one would really go for the idea).  I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer to help.

IC dungeons can be awesome fun, though sometimes it's inappropriate for some of my characters (a lot of whom tend to be non-combat types, or folk who wouldn't willingly go into a combat situation).

However, I think I would be interested in joining a linkshell like this on at least a few of my characters!

IC dungeons can be awesome fun, though sometimes it's inappropriate for some of my characters (a lot of whom tend to be non-combat types, or folk who wouldn't willingly go into a combat situation).

However, I think I would be interested in joining a linkshell like this on at least a few of my characters!

Makes sense. n__n I'd be happy to see your more combat willing characters join up. I'll be sure to keep you posted on any progress I make with the shell.

I am already commited to a Free Company but LOVE this idea. This is exactly the kind of thing that will get me out of RP lull, seeing groups like this. To me this is the heart of RP. 

Will you guys also be completing quests and such together in an IC fashion as well?

Once and adventurer always an adventurer. I did repeatable content dungeons and primal fights IC in 1.0 and enjoyed it quite a lot. Hope that I can find my way into a LS that will do things like that in ARR when Aysun gets her shit together. :roll:

Happy to hear the interest in this!

To answer a few questions:

Dungeons would be the focus, but IC questing would be fun, too.  This isn't meant to be 'hardcore' or anything, so there would certainly be time for questing together.

I edited the first post to state that I plan to roll on Balmung so long as there's room.  I'm not legacy, but this is where I plan to be.

For those who are interested, I'll work to actually set up the linkshell post so that the idea behind this shell/society is more clear.

I have a question, I have a question!

Does this mean if you talk to other people who aren't in your linkshell it will mean you will act like to beat so and so dungeon? What about end game? If you end up doing Bahamut, would you run around saying you were the group that beat Bahamut?

I think it would have to be treated lighter than that. You really can't go around IC claiming to be the one person/group to have perma-killed a certain boss, but you can vaguely allude to having had to "deal with those damn pirates causing trouble in Sastasha again."

Interested in seeing what Imsey says though, since this was their idea in the first place. I kind of got the vibe from the OP that the dungeons would be repeated IC, meaning that the characters have been there before IC and are having to go back IC to deal with them again, loosely ignoring the fact that game mechanics make the dungeon exactly the same each time.

Does this mean if you talk to other people who aren't in your linkshell it will mean you will act like to beat so and so dungeon? What about end game? If you end up doing Bahamut, would you run around saying you were the group that beat Bahamut?

No no no no. I would highly advise against that, actually. I had made a thread about repeat content not too long ago and everyone seemed to be on the same page about that question. I'll just quote someone who put it way better than I think I can.

Historically, I've either rewritten and "genericized" the encounter (we fought a powerful creature in the Deepcroft, not the named boss, or we weren't in the Deepcroft, but a similar nameless dungeon) or come up with some lore-supported reason why the fight can be done repeatedly (which works great for Primals, actually, for reasons I'll not spoil here :) ). At least in XIV, we have the Raise mechanic that can be used as a convenient excuse -- we thought we killed the bad guy, but in reality, he escaped/was dragged off/just looked dead and got patched up.

I have to do these because I do dungeon runs IC unless the rest of the group is OOC. So, I have to have some explanation why I'm there, why the last run didn't eliminate the threat, and why the state of the world hasn't changed.

I'm with Ryaadi that you definitely can't ever go around saying IC that you permanently eliminated a particular boss, no matter what the quest might say. Beyond this spoiling the plot and clashing badly with game mechanics, it also makes an assertion that other RPers can't get around -- and that severely snarls RP.

This sounds like something I and others have done in MMOs before, where we pretty much  presume one of a number of roleplay-friendly scenarios:

1.) We're mercenaries who are clearing out certain parts of a dungeon so that bigger groups can get a foothold and go after the big boss. (We sorta ignore the fact that we killed the big boss at the end.)

2.) It's a dungeon that never gets "conquered" in-story, so much as the enemies that are causing trouble inside of it are driven back. Eventually they re-group, build up their numbers, and become a problem again. Then we go back.

3.) The dungeon or quest might be able to be considered a common or recurring regional problem and the tasks we're completing/enemies we're defeating aren't part of the actual dungeon or quest, but a similar one. It's kinda like option two.

4.) The story/expansion/patch has moved past the dungeon, and in the lore the big boss is dead. We go back into the dungeon to hunt for treasure or to help local authorities finish off the rest of the minions inhabiting the place.

It never seemed too hard to run most dungeons IC before. Is it more difficult in FFXIV because of how dungeons work?

In any case, I totally support this idea, and I would consider joining just to run content with a bunch of dungeon-delving adventurers or something.

Thanks for asking! The quick answer is no.

Longer answer is that everyone chooses to treat dungeons and content differently, and it would be very taboo to force our ideas onto an entire server of roleplayers.

I'd mentioned that the group would function as a secret society of sorts for the purpose of further working to keep from stepping on the toes of other roleplayers. Outside of the linkshell, we don't talk about what we do, about repeating the dungeons. It ties into the idea I'd been toying with (that I didn't really go into too well in the first post), but that I'll explain now!

In a nutshell, I was thinking that dungeons would be treated as literally repeating. As in, for some unknown reason, when certain individuals return to certain locations, the exact event is repeating. I think the Echo got me sort of going in weird speculations, and a group trying to figure out why these little loops keep occuring for them would be interesting.

That said, however, I want to hear the feedback from those interested. I'm not dead set on the idea, and would also be very happy to have a linkshell following some of the previous suggestions/methods listed before.

I'd mentioned that the group would function as a secret society of sorts for the purpose of further working to keep from stepping on the toes of other roleplayers.  Outside of the linkshell, we don't talk about what we do, about repeating the dungeons.  It ties into the idea I'd been toying with (that I didn't really go into too well in the first post), but that I'll explain now!

In a nutshell, I was thinking that dungeons would be treated as literally repeating.  As in, for some unknown reason, when certain individuals return to certain locations, the exact event is repeating.  I think the Echo got me sort of going in weird speculations, and a group trying to figure out why these little loops keep occuring for them would be interesting.

That's a pretty cool idea. I like it. No suggestions, sadly.

Another reason we utilized in repeating things like primals was an easy one: the damn things just kept getting re-summoned by the beast tribes. We hoped that everytime we took one down it would be like a thorn in the beast tribes' side that the would have to re-summon them.

As for the dungeons and such that were repeatable.. that was more of a treasure-hunting/exploration type situation. The big beastie at the end was always the same, so obviously we never managed to kill it, and it was ready for another fight if we ran into it again.

Just ideas if anyone else needs any for how you can handle some content in game.

All of the dungeon repeating RP concepts so far are awesome. *hands out cookies*

...the primal hook works in 2.0 too. In fact, the main storyline quest more or less comes right out and says that's a big problem to which a real, final solution needs to be found.

Another that's worked for me in the past is that some external group sends the PCs on a mission into the dungeon to retrieve some item or accomplish some goal, such as defeating some monster that's taken up residence inside (the big boss, naturally :) ). This has a nice added bonus of giving characters that don't know each other an IC reason to meet up at the dungeon entrance -- they were all sent there independently by the same agency and told to look for each other. Hilarity ensues.

All of the dungeon repeating RP concepts so far are awesome. *hands out cookies*

...the primal hook works in 2.0 too. In fact, the main storyline quest more or less comes right out and says that's a big problem to which a real, final solution needs to be found.

Another that's worked for me in the past is that some external group sends the PCs on a mission into the dungeon to retrieve some item or accomplish some goal, such as defeating some monster that's taken up residence inside (the big boss, naturally :) ). This has a nice added bonus of giving characters that don't know each other an IC reason to meet up at the dungeon entrance -- they were all sent there independently by the same agency and told to look for each other. Hilarity ensues.

Hah. xD I like that!

Hahaha, nice!

There are a lot of great ideas here, I wonder if we can't find a way to use multiple ones. Some ideas may suit some dungeons better than others possibly (I'll have to look into that).

But I really need to work on the linkshell post!

Oh... and name suggestions would be nice... because I will likely leave us with something stupid like the Repetition Society (well ok not THAT bad, but help please!) :blush:

Love the idea. That's awesome and I can definitely see where the hilarity would come in. I can already see some fun events in the future (if everything comes together, of course).

As far as names go... I would normally go with something Latin, but Latin holds no meaning in Eorzea. Mayhaps something to do with insanity? It'd be a clever use of the definition of "insanity" (doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result), though that would only be clever and amusing OOCly. Hm... I will have to think on this.

I definitely do plan to create this shell.  It's just a matter of finding the wording and nailing down the nature of it.

I'd like this to be more of an organic group, less of a massive organization and more a band of characters who 1: enjoy exploring ( both the world in general and dungeons), and 2: have noticed the strangely repetetive nature of these places.

I don't want to shove my idea down everyone's throats but if people are willing I'd like to work with the dungeons actually seeming to literally repeat (though having some runs where other similar groups have popped up instead could add to the mystery).  That's not to say we can't have runs either where perhaps a couple of mysterious figures tell us that 'hey, if you go here at this time, you'll experience an adventure'.  Might be fun to even have a sort of off screen character tugging us around.

But no matter what, I want this linkshell more focused on experiencing content with your character, and less on large story set ups.  So maybe I'm overthinking it a bit.

Hmmm, both those suggestions help on the naming.  Sometimes I think it's the hardest part.