G'day, I'm Duck a returning player looking to try his hand at RP

Duck

I've been playing FFXIV on/off for about a year now. I'm still new as far as most things, such as lore, but I'm competent enough to have a couple level 80s and have finished the MSQ at least.
I've always been a pretty heavy Rper since I was a wee lad, mostly in text and pen/paper formats so starting in an MMO has me pretty excited. I'll admit that same excitement to get started has me jumping the gun a bit, and I don't really have much in the way of character ideas. So far I'd love to work my crafting classes into it, but I haven't really put much thought in beyond there. I pretty much woke up today, felt cute idk and googled 'ffxiv RP' which lead me here.

I'd appreciate the chance to talk with a few people first and bounce some ideas off them before settling in on what I want my character to be. It'd help save my goblin brain from getting married to an idea that just isn't realistic.

I dig pretty much everything, horror to romance, EDM to R&B, FFXIV to Titanfall2 so leave a reply either way coz I'd love to meet ya, cutie x

Edited by Duck

Your timezone intrigues me. XD Only 3 hours behind me is a rarity here.

I have a main char at 80 and finished ShB, but I have some alts further back and one languishing around 30 until I can find someone to RP MSQ with me (she may be there forever). I'm used to RPing in a game that was IC 24/7, so I find it hard to take a class that my char wouldn't have IC (hence so many alts), so I have my crafting and gathering classes incorporated into my RP.

Happy to talk about anything.

Edited by Charity322

To intrigue you further my timezone is actually +9:30, but the site wouldn't allow such frivolity lmao

Thanks for the good advice, it's gotten me thinking of a few more questions to add to the mounting pile in my hollow brain. If you've got the time and energy I'd be grateful :)
Are there any classes I should avoid RPing as a first timer, or all-together?
What's the consensus on multi-classing in character?
Are there any races that can only originate from one location?
Is there any class that is locked to, or locked from a race lore-wise?

Edited by Duck
Clarity
40 minutes ago, Duck said:

Are there any classes I should avoid RPing as a first timer, or all-together?
What's the consensus on multi-classing in character?
Are there any races that can only originate from one location?
Is there any class that is locked to, or locked from a race lore-wise?

I'm not an expert, but I think that White and Black Mage are usually considered really rare and unlikely to be obtained by someone who isn't the WoL. Doesn't mean that you can't RP as Thaumaturge or Conjurer though.

You can't multiclass in FF so I'm not sure what you mean?

There are places that certain races are more likely to originate from, like the Xaela from the Azim Steppe or Sea Wolf Roegadyn from La Noscea, but if you can make up a story as to why your char's family went somewhere else then you should be sweet.

Again, some races might be more well known for a certain class, but they'll teach anyone these days. :P

Edited by Charity322

Awesome info, thanks a lot :) Managed to answer a couple minor questions I had brewing while you were at it, too.

25 minutes ago, Charity322 said:

You can't multiclass in FF so I'm not sure what you mean?

I used odd wording there, as an example could someone's character be both a SAM and a NIN? (not at the same time) I don't quite know if the class switching/job stones are available to all, some or just the WoL. I'm more-so trying to figure out if making my character be multi-crafter IC would be considered reasonable or a mary-sue d**k move, but figured extending the question to include combat classes wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Duck
12 minutes ago, Duck said:

Awesome info, thanks a lot :) Managed to answer a couple minor questions I had brewing while you were at it, too.

I used odd wording there, as an example could someone's character be both a SAM and a NIN? (not at the same time) I don't quite know if the class switching/job stones are available to all, some or just the WoL. I'm more-so trying to figure out if making my character be multi-crafter IC would be considered reasonable or a mary-sue d**k move, but figured extending the question to include combat classes wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure if it's the usual thing, but I consider my chars to have studied each class that they have. I think three combat classes and a couple of crafting classes are the max that any one char of mine has.

Well you seem to have a good head on your shoulders so I'll take that as my guideline. Thanks for all this, mate, it's really helped me start forming her identity.

Samurai and Ninjas have traditionally been depicted as being diametrically opposed to one another. You rarely see instances where the two join hands. Their philosophies are different and it may not be a natural fit to have a character who is both—or at the very least, masterful at both.

Hello there, Duck, welcome! :D

As for the questions about jobs--your character does not necessarily have to be canonically a certain job IC to use specific weapons or fighting styles. Samurai and ninja may be opposite side of a spectrum as Kero noted, but there is no reason that, for example, a ninja could not pick up a katana and learn how to use like any person in the world could.

Yeah, I have a char who only recently picked up Bard because she only wanted to be an archer (but can't really do any higher level content without taking your job). So she's just pretending that she is still just an archer.