Most active RP server?

Hi all,

I played at release until Squeenix said everyone plays free until we fix the game.  As well I expected that the game was going to die at that point.  And life game up and I really haven't done any gaming since.  Fast forward to now, I have time and want to do some gaming again.  I'm not interested in any new games, and since I never got much of a chance to play XIV (And it seems to be in the best shape out of the games I'm looking at).... I've decided to come back.

I've been reading around and keep on seeing Balmung and Mateus servers mentioned, but I'm pretty sure those posts are at least a year old.  Are those two still the most active servers for RP?  Looks like Balmung is the only one of the two you can make a new character on though.

If Balmung is the way to go and someone on the server wants to get some bonuses for the recruit a friend thing, I'd be interested as the XP item looks rather useful.  I'm making a new account since I'd have to buy all the expansions and game time so just getting the complete collection seems to make more sense.

Thanks!

Hey there! So yes, Balmung and Mateus are still the de facto active RP servers for open-world RP. That being said, here's a few more tips to consider:

• Most open-world (i.e. "random walk-up") RP on Balmung and Mateus happens within Ul'dah. In my experience, most people look for RP inside or outside the Quicksand on either server, and the Gold Court on Balmung
  • If you don't care about joining a Free Company on a particular server, as long as you create a character on the Crystal data center, you can visit any server on that data center by going to any of the Aetheryte Plazas in the three major city-states (Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa, Gridania)
  • The ability to visit other servers is great because that means you can attend RP events like the ones you see on the forum calendar. If you're looking for RP, I highly recommend going to one of these events since you know everyone who attends is looking for RP too (as opposed to open-world, where sometimes people are just sitting around idly)

Hope this helps!

Yes, Balmung and Mateus are still the most active RP servers. Zehpyr summarized it all quite nicely. As long as you are on the Crystal Data Center, you won't be hurting for RP. So long as you don't have any qualms with having to world travel for RP or aren't looking for more RP FC's to choose from, any server on the data center will suffice. But if Balmung or Mateus are currently open, it may not be a bad idea to make a character there. :)

Thank you both!

Tthe cross server thing is pretty neat.  It really seems tailor made for RP, but I doubt that was the intention of it.  That said, I imagine there are more active RP FC's on the servers with more people RPing so I'll try and get a character on one of those first.

Shame everyone hangs out in Ul'dah, it was my least favorite city.  Though I do quite enjoy impromptu open world RP so thank you for the tip on where to go!

Events are great ways to meet everyone and some of my best memories from EQ2 are from events our guild hosted so I'm looking forward to attending some!

Welcome back to FFXIV, VagabondExplorer!   

Balmung and Mateus are sometimes open for new character creation during slower activity in the day. So from about 4am EST onwards you could check the Server Status page to see if those servers are accepting new characters. 

Another option is after server maintenance, such as today. When the servers come back up the game population will be low, so it's possible new character creation will be available on Balmung and Mateus. 

19 hours ago, Moon Type said:

Welcome back to FFXIV, VagabondExplorer!   

Balmung and Mateus are sometimes open for new character creation during slower activity in the day. So from about 4am EST onwards you could check the Server Status page to see if those servers are accepting new characters. 

Another option is after server maintenance, such as today. When the servers come back up the game population will be low, so it's possible new character creation will be available on Balmung and Mateus. 

Thanks for the tips, though at least yesterday Balmung was open for new characters as of when I got out of work.  I'm sure I could just create a character when I first wake up or on lunch to avoid peak hours as well.

Going by what I see in the FC listing and event listing, it almost seems like Balmung may be the slightly more active server?

11 hours ago, VagabondExplorer said:

Thanks for the tips, though at least yesterday Balmung was open for new characters as of when I got out of work.  I'm sure I could just create a character when I first wake up or on lunch to avoid peak hours as well.

Going by what I see in the FC listing and event listing, it almost seems like Balmung may be the slightly more active server?

I believe so.  ^_^

Also, I apologize for not being clearer with my reply. My suggestion was intended to help in the event that you wish to create additional RP characters.  

On 4/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, Moon Type said:

Adding onto this, it seem to be open pretty consistently in the morning. I have no issue making a new character.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:41 PM, VagabondExplorer said:

I wouldn't say the listings here are the best indicators for how active Balmung or Mateus are since most people use Discord far more to advertise. From what I've seen they are both pretty neck and neck with activity levels and events. Honestly with World visiting finding roleplay usually isn't an issue so long as you pick a server on the Crystal Data center.

Best of luck getting on to whichever server you ultimately decide on!