Where?

Xeon

Right first i applogise if this is in the wrong section or a silly question.

So i was wandering around the past weekend both during European and american primetimes, and i couldn't find anyone rping. So i was wondering, Where is people? What is the rp hotspots and at what times? Do people only rp in linkshells or party chats or something? Expected to atleast see some kind of conversation when wandering. :3

Thanks ahead of time.

-Xeon

Edit: Should've probably added this, but it slipped my mind. Im on Balmung

Ha ha :lol: Funny you guys ask this, as I was wondering the same thing. I had asked my mentor about "open world rp"... You know, rp that is just happening around, and he had said that most of it happens on the linkshells.

I was actually going to make a thread in regards to open world rp, so that people like us (that are just coming into arr) at least have an idea of were to start for rp.

Friend me, Amaare Margolis when you get into the game this weekend. I will admit that I am prone to being around Ul'dah a lot but I do all of my rp open world and not in Linkshells If I'm on just hit me up if you want to rp. Chances are aside from if I am in an instanced quest or dungeon I will come right along.

One thing to remember is that this is still beta. Characters are being wiped after beta 3 ends on the 15th, a lot of people don't have their final concepts yet, and many people aren't RPing in favor of testing. Additionally, a lot of people are on Gilgamesh right now for testing, since Balmung was locked to new characters during the first tests of beta 3.

So, don't despair! RP will increase once we get into beta 4 (where characters are unlikely to be wiped) and launch.

I saw a gaggle of roleplayers inside one of the buildings at that larger town west of Horizon. It was far too crowded to really do much, however, so my friends and I trecked across Eorzea and found a nice place to do some beta no-strings-attached RP in a town in the Eastern Shroud.

I saw quite a few open world RP groups on Gilgamesh this weekend.  For those of us who joined the beta weeks ago before the Legacy servers were available, we rolled temporary characters on Gilgamesh because Balmung was not an option.  At the end of Phase 3 (which may have already happened), those characters will be wiped.  Starting with Phase 4, all beta characters will be retained for launch (kinda like a headstart for us beta players).  The majority of RPers who will be playing on Balmung have been playing on Gilgamesh and will switch to Balmung in the next phase of beta.

Gona ask a second question then, Anyone planning to be rping publicly on balmung in the upcoming beta? In ul'dah, since my character can't really leave that area as of yet. Even if the "closed" beta's aren't seen as "real"rp? I don't see a problem with socializing with your character to others, Always good to know people and have rped with them already for the open beta / release.

-Xeon

I plan on doing open-world RP as much as possible post-launch, however I've been tied up trying to get my character out of shock from the Calamity crap thus far. xD

The OOC linkshell, Intermission/Backstage/whatever it is going to be called, will be very helpful for you if you are on Balmung in finding RP if you haven't run into any. :) I think since the owner is moving to Balmung for P4 (P3 has seen most of us split between Gilgamesh and Balmung which has been very confusing!) it might get going finally. If not, the pearl will be made and distributed at launch I am sure.

The OOC linkshell, Intermission/Backstage/whatever it is going to be called, will be very helpful for you if you are on Balmung in finding RP if you haven't run into any. :) I think since the owner is moving to Balmung for P4, it might get going finally. If not, the pearl will be made and distributed at launch I am sure.

Yup! The Intermission OOC hub will definitely be on Balmung starting Phase 4 & on into launch (though, there are some talks right now of having it be cross-server so we can all share the love). For beta phase 3, I created a temporary iteration of Intermission on Gilgamesh, since a lot of us ended up RPing there so as not to leave out the newer players that couldn't make it to Balmung the first few weeks. I haven't spent a lot of time on Balmung this phase, tbh, so I can't speak for the amount of rp there, but if you're starved for it, we can definitely hook you up with an Intermission pearl on Gilgamesh. Blue Skies is also hosting a public event there this weekend (though that shell will also eventually be on Balmung): http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2695

I'm 100% okay with open world role playing as long as other people are. I'm not going to go around trying to initiate it though because I don't want to be rude or bother someone who might not be a role player. If it's someone I know and they are okay with it I will though. Otherwise someone has to be the one to start because I'm just not the type of person to start something up with someone I don't know.

The OOC linkshell, Intermission/Backstage/whatever it is going to be called, will be very helpful for you if you are on Balmung in finding RP if you haven't run into any.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the heads up.

I switched over from Cactuar to Gilgamesh and was pleasantly surprised to find Rp'ing going on here and there. I didn't join in because I didn't want to be rude. Seems like it's equivalent to jumping into a private conversation irl.

If it's not happening in /p or whatever, it's fair game for getting involved in, IMO.

I switched over from Cactuar to Gilgamesh and was pleasantly surprised to find Rp'ing going on here and there. I didn't join in because I didn't want to be rude. Seems like it's equivalent to jumping into a private conversation irl.

If it's not happening in /p or whatever, it's fair game for getting involved in, IMO.

This is true, but I also feel a bit trepadatious (sp?). like Desmond does. I can and do overcome it, but can't help I am interfering with something at times. When I start to get to know folks and be introduced, it should be better, but until then...well, my manners can be a wee bit too polite for my own good in such cases.

:ahriman:

The toughest part is contriving a sustainable reason to interject yourself, but after that it's pretty easy. I say sustainable reason because some reasons, such as asking for directions, don't have much long term pull; they give you directions, and you leave!

Usually what I do is I listen in for a while and find a point where I can go, "Excuse me, but did you say X,Y,Z...?" which I suppose in FFXIV's more archaic language would probably look more like "Pardon the intrusion, but I couldn't help but overhear you mention X,Y,Z..." Anything that initiates a talking point and enables sharing, both from the group and from yourself, does the job well, :). In caring about what they are already talking about, you gain an inroad that is still polite! (So even if you are well mannered, you can feel good about doing it, haha.)

Try it sometime. I've never regretted introducing my characters into RP I've seen in the open. The rewards are well worth the initial anxiety.

I will be on Balmung and would be more than happy to RP with anyone who wants to.

Just send me a /t in game or drop me a friend request, or message/friend me on here and we could even come up with a little plot or story to play out or something.

I can be extremely shy and apprehensive as well, which makes it difficult to just jump in to a conversation as you walk by, but I am trying my hardest to overcome this and be able to just have fun and enjoy myself.

So please lets be friends and rp and have fun!