Potential Character Overhaul

Nox

Alright, I've been debating this in my head for a while now... As much as I love the Seekers and their lore and design and... I love everything about the race, basically. I'm at this point where I just don't know if Miqo'te is what I should go for. Basically, I'm debating overhauling W'Dekan and making him into an Elezen(Wildwood, of course) instead of a Miqo'te.  Luckily, I could carry over most of his personality and the general ideas behind his history, but I'd be taking a hit in pretty much every other location. I'd take a slight hit to stats and have to rewrite/relearn quite a lot. 

I could just be freaking out because of my humanly "strive to be different" which is in everyone to some degree, and I'm happy to admit that. I figured I'd throw this idea out there for a community of people, who's opinion I respect, to either tell me to calm down or that it might be interesting to see the other character. At this point, I'm not really sure what I want to do, so I figured "Hey! Maybe they can help me."

Well, I'd just think you need to "calm down" a bit.

The stat thing isn't to big a deal, if that bothers you, especially as you gain higher levels.

Heck, you could even start an alt and have that take over if it grows on you. Maybe someone with the same story, but some details/name change?

I would suggest thinking about what is best for you and the character. I admit, I like being different and that may have influenced my choice of race, but if I look back, I doubt it. I just like the race and knew they were different from most others analog-races I see in this and other games (Roegaydn).

While I also admit to liking that it is a less chosen race and I have always grown less enthused as more fans come to something, sometimes you just have to put that aside and feel out what other things there are. Maybe you have a long-term view of the character and it fits Miq'ote nicely.

I feel like you may've put enough work into it and it should not change, but take a look at Elezen history and see if you generally like it.

:ahriman:

I've actually been feeling a bit like this as well, as there are just... Miqo'te everywhere!  I'm personally trying to ignore that, because in the end, even if there are cats roaming everywhere you look, I'll know that's what I wanted to begin with (and will feel dissatisfied having been pushed away from what I wanted due to numbers alone).  This game doesn't seem terribly alt friendly, but I'm probably going to have a little Lala girl for those times I need to not be Miqo'te number 809 (not that Lalas are rare either).

That said, I think it's worth hearing the other character if you'd feel just as happy in Elezen skin.  Now's the time for the overhaul.  But personally, I'd advise playing what you want, regardless of what others are doing around you.

Augh, why do you sound just like ME?!

The way this guy talks, when I read his little 100 Q's list, he strikes me as a Miqo'te. You love the lore, the design, you've made the guy and you've gotten to know him. All that's bothering you is the number of other Miqo'te at the moment?

If that's the case, I really wouldn't bother adjusting him. If, oh, he doesn't fit the lore how you want him to somehow, or you just feel the other race suits him better, then it would be good to consider this carefully. However if it's originality you're worried about?

A character is more than their race. It's the personality and history that make them interesting. Your character will stand out in people's minds because of his actions, not whether or not his ears were furry.

I understand your apprehension, believe me. I'm going through it right now. But I say give this guy a chance. We have five days of beta coming up for you to really settle into him. Let him prove to you just what he can do. I'll bet you you'll forget about his race entirely.

Hang in there Nox 3

I'm struggling a little with the same dilemma.  On one hand, I have my old Miqo'te from version 1.0 with a well thought out storyline and a few levels in some of the classes.  On the other, I've had a really cool idea for a Roegadyn and enjoy the look and feel of the character in-game.

My plan is to create and play both for a little bit and run with the one that strikes my fancy more.  The way I see it, as long as I'm getting good RP, either concept is gold, so give them both a try.  In a few weeks of RPing, the dilemma should work itself out.

This is a lot like the "What class should I play" questions that come up, and the best answer is almost always play what you enjoy the most.  Picking a class just because it's rare is almost always a bad idea.  Perhaps if you liked both races equally it might be a decent deciding factor.

I certainly felt the whole -too many Miqo'te- near the end of 1.0 and would have been tempted to race change... but at least there will be catboys to go along with the legion of catgirls now.  Wait, now that I think about it, maybe I should change to Midlander so I stand out more...  wait now you've got me doing it too...

In my intro post I mentioned that I've been working on a lalafell character. He was the very first semblance of an oc that I've thought up while acquainting myself with the game's lore. Their race immediately caught my attention and when I got in beta phase 3 (and ofc spent hours in the character creator) I slowly built him up. I even went ahead and drew up character sheets for him complete with expressions, just to get to know him a bit more. He was pretty much set to be rp'd at that point and... I don't know why exactly but I wanted to try out a different race last week and it only took that new character a couple of hours to grow on me. Most of the ideas I had for my lalafell got transferred to this new guy instead. xD

Point is, being meticulous with your character can't be helped as we naturally want a good, solid character to roleplay as well as something we're comfortable in and if you really aren't feeling that miqo'te vibe for your character then go ahead with the necessary adjustments. If you are just bothered by how many miqo'tes there are at present, think of it this way--the things you have in common is just race and maybe appearance too, but peel those outer layers away to reveal that each one is quite different. Choosing to be one won't make your character any less original. :]

I've actually been feeling a bit like this as well, as there are just... Miqo'te everywhere!  I'm personally trying to ignore that, because in the end, even if there are cats roaming everywhere you look, I'll know that's what I wanted to begin with (and will feel dissatisfied having been pushed away from what I wanted due to numbers alone).  This game doesn't seem terribly alt friendly, but I'm probably going to have a little Lala girl for those times I need to not be Miqo'te number 809 (not that Lalas are rare either).

That said, I think it's worth hearing the other character if you'd feel just as happy in Elezen skin.  Now's the time for the overhaul.  But personally, I'd advise playing what you want, regardless of what others are doing around you.

Yeah, I think I'm just having the "too many Miqo'tes" shock, I suppose. I think I'm going to create the Elezen character tomorrow and run him for a bit, just to see which I prefer and go from there. Who knows, I might make the Elezen and have a completely fresh and interesting idea for his character. I suppose we'll see. Thank you all for the replies.

Yea, I wanted to just throw my two pies worth in on this. It's a common rp'er dilemma. I know me personally, I always tend towards the more lesser races when I make characters, or the ones that people look at and are like "Er?" Heck, I have a buddy that will literally go through three characters before he settles.. And this is both in MMO's and in table top games :geek:

In the end though, it's all about what makes you ultimately happy. What you could always do is make a character like your Miqo'te as an elzen (but not erase your Miqo'te) and run around with him for a bit, see if you like him. Maybe he'll grow on you. If not, you can just send the extra coin to your Miqo'te, and delete the extra character :lol:

Always remember though, even if there ARE a herd of cat people running around: Your is special because it's your Miqo'te. It's your game. Play how you want and what you want.

I definitely can empathize. I usually use beta as a time to really dial in on my character and I can be pretty obsessive. I can spend a lot of time in the character gen just trying out different settings. "60 or 70, 60 or 70?"

But I seem to often get to a point where either I become too overwhelmed with my obsessiveness and crash or that the character basically comes into their own so that any changes start to feel like it goes against "who they are". This becomes especially true when I really start to get their story down.

So, certainly try another "version" of your character, but I think when you sit in the character gen and there are no other player-characters around but yours, you may find that what you wanted in the first place was "right" all along. 

I also love Miqo'te and would play one too, but I managed to curb that desire pretty quickly in ARR when I saw how much that darn tail clips the animated clothes and weapons... :frustrated:

But now my Hyur has kinda come into her own and I really want to see how her story progresses.