Any relief for the "pack rat"?

Okay, storage space is alright so far...but I can see it bulging sooner rather than later. The armoire in my rooms doesn't want to hold anything besides my Onion Helmet  :cry:

So, is there any other storage options in this game? A "Bank" or what have you? Access to bigger bags?

:ahriman::frustrated:

From what I know, retainers (which you can hire at the retainer desk at your local market in your city-state of choice) hold a lot of items as well.

As far as "banks" go, I do know that Free Companies will have their own storage as well. Sort of like a guild bank in WoW.

Have you gotten a retainer yet? You can have two of them at once and they hold a lot more than you can. You can get retainers from any of the main cities I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the NPC where you hire them is in the market area(s).

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd again!

From what I know, retainers (which you can hire at the retainer desk at your local market in your city-state of choice) hold a lot of items as well.

As far as "banks" go, I do know that Free Companies will have their own storage as well. Sort of like a guild bank in WoW.

Have you gotten a retainer yet? You can have two of them at once and they hold a lot more than you can. You can get retainers from any of the main cities I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the NPC where you hire them is in the market area(s).

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd again!

Yeah, but I am a bit concerned: They keep taking funds at a regular rate, right? I mean, you got to "pay them wages"? I know I had one in 1.0 but I am fuzzy. I think the first one was "free" right? Upon NPC-quest-help questioning, I didn't get that impression.

I sorta tend to be thrifty, especially since I am not rolling in Gil like "Scrooge McLallafel".  :P

:ahriman::dazed:

Retainers appear to be free at the moment, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that we'll need to pay for them in the future. They are intended to server as your character's bank as well as a sort of "fence" for your wares (they're the only way you can sell things on the market boards).

The only future plans I've seen mentioned for them were that you can customize their appearance (I believe as early as Phase 4), you'll be able to build a market stall at your home where you can set one up to work as a vendor, and it was even mentioned some time ago that they may at some point even be able to gather materials for you.

If what you're saying is right Ashran, then I'm very excited to check out the retainers. I got one character through the story enough in this beta that I could hire one, and went to do so. I stopped when it asked me to NAME the retainer. I happily walked away thinking how I could add this new retainer to my character's rp background in some way (which meant I needed a good name) and so I didn't hire them. The other thing that made me think was seeing a picture of several retainers of different races and when given the option to name one I didn't know which race I was going to be getting. If we can choose race or even customize them at a later date that would be fantastic.

Retainers are free, both in terms of Gil and in terms of real-world money, and you can have two of them at the moment. They have 175 inventory slots each(!) to hold all of your junk. The only expense that I can recall ever being associated with retainers was if you wanted to set them up in a stall in the market wards in 1.0, but those no longer exist.

When you start getting your class AF, holiday gear, CE extras, etc., your armoire will take all of those sorts of things, helping out your inventory situation quite a bit.

When you start getting your class AF, holiday gear, CE extras, etc., your armoire will take all of those sorts of things, helping out your inventory situation quite a bit.

They'll also hold any of the preorder or promo items, I have the gloves from FFXIII and the Garlond Goggles from preordering 1.0 and I can put those in there. I assume you'll also be able to store the Mog Hat, and likely the FFXIII gear from the Lightning event as well.

As far as using your retainers in the market ward, I believe that was the point of being able to create a stall in your home to replace the market ward. Though I don't see what the difference is between them selling things directly, or on the market boards.

I was enjoying lookin at the belongings in my 1.0 characters on hand inventory(discovering also this new armoury option) and then thought.. oooh where are my 2 wonderful faithful retainers i was trying to gather materials for and craft dream clothing and kabuto helms for)

I havent had a chance on pc or ps3 when poking around the current beta to find out, but what has become of our old 1.0 retainers?

I havent had a chance on pc or ps3 when poking around the current beta to find out' date=' but what has become of our old 1.0 retainers?[/quote']

They're still there, and they still have all of your stuff. They also have the same names and are of the same race/clan/gender as before, though you can choose to rename them the first time you visit them in ARR, and SE says that you should be able to pick a new race/gender/appearance for them if you want as well (I think either in phase 4, or at release).

I havent had a chance on pc or ps3 when poking around the current beta to find out' date=' but what has become of our old 1.0 retainers?[/quote']

They're still there, and they still have all of your stuff. They also have the same names and are of the same race/clan/gender as before, though you can choose to rename them the first time you visit them in ARR, and SE says that you should be able to pick a new race/gender/appearance for them if you want as well (I think either in phase 4, or at release).

Ah good to know, I liked the ones I picked. Will we still be limited to 2 initially once ARR launches? ive been pulling extra hours at work and have to come in quite early tomorrow morning as well so ive not been able to really jump into this weeks beta :/