Class/city based start, 50/50 opinion so far

Its a nice idea, but im not sure I like it. Granted it probably is partially due to coming out of 1.0 and just grabbing whatever class and then choosing a city state accompanied by wonderful opening cinematic lol.

The new opening is cool too don't get me wrong but I was partial to Limsa Lominsa.

While its a bit 50/50 in terms of liking the new starting method now overall its not a huge issue since we can just get hold of whatever weapon for whatever class we'd prefer to 'start' as and just change up early on after beginning our new adventures.

In my case my old 1.0 character had several already on hand in my inventory so its minor.

Just a random bit of beta banter

The new opening is cool too don't get me wrong but I was partial to Limsa Lominsa.

While its a bit 50/50 in terms of liking the new starting method now overall its not a huge issue since we can just get hold of whatever weapon for whatever class we'd prefer to 'start' as and just change up early on after beginning our new adventures.

Except that you cannot. You must first complete up to level 10 story and class quests before you can unlock any other job except for the one you started at. And even then you must go to that classes guild HQ in order to get the initial weapon and "unlock" that specific class.

So level 10 being the earliest, and 15 being more reasonable once you have airship access. It's overall a pretty poor system, but prevents users from having to trek across the lands just to find their guild because they started in limsa as a lancer (for example).

This system is limiting, but a bit more friendly in terms of narrowing a focus for newer players.

Don't your story quests require you to stick around your starting area for the first 20 levels, as well?

Kind of limiting, that. (This is why I went Ul'dah for Phase 3 - since I'll be starting with Limsa, I wouldn't get to see any of that story content otherwise.)

Don't your story quests require you to stick around your starting area for the first 20 levels, as well?

Kind of limiting, that. (This is why I went Ul'dah for Phase 3 - since I'll be starting with Limsa, I wouldn't get to see any of that story content otherwise.)

So then.. wouldnt this mean that its going to be different then it is now in beta? I was on my 1.0 character who i thought was closer to lvl 15, but came out in beta at lvl 11, once i did the first couple of simple intro quests in Limsa with Baderon I was able to shift out of Marauder and to other classes as i had lvled other classes during 1.0 and had all my gear still on hand.

No. The main quest line converges into Ul'dah at the level 15 mark. This is similar to 1.0 where the storylines converged and a lot of it took place in ul'dah and it's territories.

Once you finish your airship quest, you then proceed to do dungeons, which end at copperbell mines, the story taking off after that continuing to be in ul'dah regardless of where you initially started.