Leveling question

So this is kind of a newb question, but it's been something I've been curious about for a while. I didn't really play far enough into 1.0 to unlock any Jobs, so I never got to experience that aspect of gameplay, but I was wondering if Class and Job levels were independent, or linked? I know that you just equip an item to transform into said job but I've also seen mention of leveling jobs and what not. If I'm, for example, a level 50 Thaumaturge, and I equip to Black Mage soul stone am I also a level 50 Black Mage?

The reason this came to mind was actually because of Arcanist, Scholar, and Summoner. If we assume that Arcanist can become either Job, and not one or the other, and we assume that Scholar relies on Mind while Summoner relies on Intelligence, does that mean that you need to spec your attribute points a particular way based on which Job you really intend to play, thus sort of limiting your ability to play the other? That's assuming that the Jobs are linked to your Class level and use the same Attribute points, as I said I don't know which is the point of this thread!

In short, can someone please explain how Jobs work as far as levelin and attributes go?

So this is kind of a newb question, but it's been something I've been curious about for a while. I didn't really play far enough into 1.0 to unlock any Jobs, so I never got to experience that aspect of gameplay, but I was wondering if Class and Job levels were independent, or linked? I know that you just equip an item to transform into said job but I've also seen mention of leveling jobs and what not. If I'm, for example, a level 50 Thaumaturge, and I equip to Black Mage soul stone am I also a level 50 Black Mage?

The reason this came to mind was actually because of Arcanist, Scholar, and Summoner. If we assume that Arcanist can become either Job, and not one or the other, and we assume that Scholar relies on Mind while Summoner relies on Intelligence, does that mean that you need to spec your attribute points a particular way based on which Job you really intend to play, thus sort of limiting your ability to play the other? That's assuming that the Jobs are linked to your Class level and use the same Attribute points, as I said I don't know which is the point of this thread!

In short, can someone please explain how Jobs work as far as levelin and attributes go?

I do believe that jobs take the level of your class, so yes, a level 50 Thaum is a level 50 Black Mage. I'm not sure how Arcanist works, but I'm sure that it'll be, for example, a level 50 Arcanist is both a level 50 Summoner and level 50 Scholar.

What about regarding attribute points, do Jobs have their own attribute points or do they use the distribution from your Class?

I don't know that, sorry. I'd imagine they get their own distribution because of how the branching jobs will work in the future, but that's just me making a guess.

Each job you have leveled gets their own set of attribute points. I believe its 30 points for a level 50 job. So for my monk, I stuck all 30 in STR. Then when I switched to black mage, I stuck all 30 in INT. Hope this helps. And hope I placed my points right ^_^

What about regarding attribute points, do Jobs have their own attribute points or do they use the distribution from your Class?

I don't know that, sorry. I'd imagine they get their own distribution because of how the branching jobs will work in the future, but that's just me making a guess.

That's exactly what I was hoping for, mainly because I assume Scholar won't benefit very much from Intelligence, and Summoner won't benefit from Mind so if you were forced to spec one way or the other to be the best at your role you'd be lacking in the other and make it almost useless to level the second Job.

An interesting point about Arcanist is that, if the pets are doing the work, your stats may not matter that much for certain tasks. One of the major problems we have with ACN right now is that we really have no idea how it'll work. :) Dataminers claim that it's a DD/debuff class, but there's design reasons why I'm not convinced of that.