Happy Birthday, NES!

Today is the birthday of what could be, quite possibly, the most important video game system ever to exist; the Nintendo Entertainment System! Hell, without it, we might not have FFXIV today! So, happy NES day!

Here's a great article about how the NES turned the video game world upside:

Happy Birthday, NES!

I remember getting mine when I was four, and it started a love of video games that has lasted for 22 years, and is still going strong. The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy were amazing, and still are some of the greatest games ever made. Hours and hours and hours of entertainment there-- let alone Castlevania, Megaman, and more.

What are some of your fondest NES memories?

It's crazy to remember sometimes that the Famicom came out more than two years before the NES did in the west. I didn't realize that it's actually older than I am!

While the NES wasn't the first gaming experience I ever had, it certainly helped cement my lifelong love for games. My fondest NES memory is probably the original Super Mario Bros. Super-sharp controls, fun gameplay, and lots of secrets.

My fondest memories have to be passing around a controller with friends and cousins, playing things like Rampage, Legend of Zelda, and Megaman. :D

Of course, those early Megaman games also were the first games to introduce me to 'gamer rage' as it caused a few broken controllers back then.

I was a little late to the NES party getting mine (technically my brother's too) in 1988 after spending a lot of time at my friends/cousins playing video games at their homes. My first game (if you don't count SMB/DH) was Zelda II - The Adventure of Link. There were a lot of great games and a lot of wonderful memories from that era. I think some of those memories that cannot be forgotten are finding the warp in 1-2 for the first time in Super Mario Bros., shooting that annoying dog in Duck Hunt when he laughed at you (you know you tried to!!), and completing The Legend of Zelda for the first time only to find the underworlds redesigned for the second play-through.

Another NES game I remember fondly that probably wasn't as popular was Base Wars - robots with guns and swords playing baseball but having fights. For its time, it was a lot of fun, and I don't even really care much for baseball! ^_^

I was a little late to the NES party getting mine (technically my brother's too) in 1988 after spending a lot of time at my friends/cousins playing video games at their homes.  My first game (if you don't count SMB/DH) was Zelda II - The Adventure of Link.  There were a lot of great games and a lot of wonderful memories from that era.  I think some of those memories that cannot be forgotten are finding the warp in 1-2 for the first time in Super Mario Bros., shooting that annoying dog in Duck Hunt when he laughed at you (you know you tried to!!), and completing The Legend of Zelda for the first time only to find the underworlds redesigned for the second play-through.

Another NES game I remember fondly that probably wasn't as popular was Base Wars - robots with guns and swords playing baseball but having fights.  For its time, it was a lot of fun, and I don't even really care much for baseball!  ^_^

Ah, yes, the memories. I remember when my sister and I figured out that when playing track meet, you could stand off to the side of the pad and lift your foot to jump really far. And you didn't pick your feet up all the way, but tippy-toed like to run really fast. We cheated so much on that game....