Some Miqo'te questions

Kailia

Hi guys. I like to try an plan out every bit of my characters, right down to how old they are. But I been searching and haven't found any actual charts yet. So figure why not ask here.

Question 1: How long do Miqo'te live, like when does a child Miqo'te be considered an adult or even when an adult is considered and elder?

Question 2: Where would a Miqo'te be born and raised, namely where would a seeker of the sun been born and raised?

Question 3: What is their society like? I know they enjoy the sunlight and would most likely have basic human sleep cycles. I am more refering to their culture itself. Is there any references I can look to?

1- I have not found any references of how long they live. Or, for that matter, how long any of the races live. For the time being, I'd just apply human years to everyone while avoiding specific age topics when talking with other people. You know, just in case.

2- Technically anywhere. I think I've seen Miqo'te NPCs almost everywhere, so you can very easily say your character was born and raised in any of the city-states. I think there's also a specific location you can visit in-game that is a Seekers' village, but I haven't personally reached that place.

3-Check this Miqo'te Naming Conventions thread in the official lore forums. That should give you an idea of how tribal/traditional Miqo'te culture works.

Hope this helped a little bit, at least!

I don't think the lifespans have been mentioned anywhere, so I'd go with Ildur's suggestion there. :P

Miqo'te are pretty much everywhere, but the Seekers are mainly based around Limsa Lominsa and the Sagoli Desert whereas the Keepers are predominantly in the Black Shroud.  

I can't, however, seem to find anything that lists where the individual Seeker tribes are actually based.  From exploring in game there's an outpost in Southern Thanalan that seems to be home to the Drake (U) tribe of Miqo'te, but that's all I've been able to find.

There is no official lore on the age and life spans of any of the races. People speculate that Lalafell live longer but it isn't officially stated in any detail. Most people just assume normal human age ranges until we get some actual information on this from SE. For example, Manari is 23 cycles old. That's based off of real life ages, because we have nothing else to go on.

If you are wanting to RP a traditional Seeker of the Sun, you have a lot of freedom with where you can be born at. Typically speaking they come from the areas around Thanalan, namely the desert that we know of. But they are also known to populate La Nocsea as well. There is even a NPC Seeker tribe out in Thanalan you can go visit. Now if you wanted to be less traditional with your Seeker, then it can be from almost anywhere as long as you have a story to go along with it. Miqo'te Seekers are in literally every city state.

The naming convention lore that SE gave us is all we know for certain right now, hopefully quests and further lore bombs will help us in this area. The seekers have a very different culture from any other race, so it's a pretty interesting read.

1- I have not found any references of how long they live. Or, for that matter, how long any of the races live. For the time being, I'd just apply human years to everyone while avoiding specific age topics when talking with other people. You know, just in case.

2- Technically anywhere. I think I've seen Miqo'te NPCs almost everywhere, so you can very easily say your character was born and raised in any of the city-states. I think there's also a specific location you can visit in-game that is a Seekers' village, but I haven't personally reached that place.

3-Check this Miqo'te Naming Conventions thread in the official lore forums. That should give you an idea of how tribal/traditional Miqo'te culture works.

Hope this helped a little bit, at least!

Thanks for that information, it helps :)

There is no official lore on the age and life spans of any of the races.  People speculate that Lalafell live longer but it isn't officially stated in any detail.  Most people just assume normal human age ranges until we get some actual information on this from SE.  For example, Manari is 23 cycles old.  That's based off of real life ages, because we have nothing else to go on.  

If you are wanting to RP a traditional Seeker of the Sun, you have a lot of freedom with where you can be born at.  Typically speaking they come from the areas around Thanalan, namely the desert that we know of.  But they are also known to populate La Nocsea as well.  There is even a NPC Seeker tribe out in Thanalan you can go visit.  Now if you wanted to be less traditional with your Seeker, then it can be from almost anywhere as long as you have a story to go along with it.  Miqo'te Seekers are in literally every city state.  

The naming convention lore that SE gave us is all we know for certain right now, hopefully quests and further lore bombs will help us in this area. The seekers have a very different culture from any other race, so it's a pretty interesting read.

Well I know for my Seeker, she does enjoy nature and even green areas, including forests. Anywhere with trees and green grass, and farms. And googling images of La Nocsea, it looks to fit what I'd picture her being from. It definitely helps knowing that. I only got in on phase 3, so didn't have a chance to see any other area outside The Black Shroud. What are some villages/towns of La Nocsea?

Well I know for my Seeker, she does enjoy nature and even green areas, including forests. Anywhere with trees and green grass, and farms. And googling images of La Nocsea, it looks to fit what I'd picture her being from. It definitely helps knowing that. I only got in on phase 3, so didn't have a chance to see any other area outside The Black Shroud. What are some villages/towns of La Nocsea?

Immediately around Limsa Lominsa, there's a variety of small port towns, farming villages, dodo farms, and even a "fleet" of windmills on a coastal cliff that grind grains for the city's bakers. A number of these are populated by ex-pirates, some of whom are less keen on work than others. Most of the "civilized areas" of La Noscea are plains with rolling hills, but orchards do exist. You don't typically run into any significant forest until you get relatively far from the city (in Upper and Outer La Noscea).

I'm sorry I don't recall any actual names of places (I rely on in-game maps for that :) ), but of course, you can always come up with a village of your own as the world is certainly larger than what we see in game. For instance, my Seeker comes from a small and relatively poor coastal village where most of the commerce is fishing and limited tree felling and woodworking. It's something I envision being near the drydocks outside the city proper, as they'd have a need for both food and wood.

Immediately around Limsa Lominsa, there's a variety of small port towns, farming villages, dodo farms, and even a "fleet" of windmills on a coastal cliff that grind grains for the city's bakers. A number of these are populated by ex-pirates, some of whom are less keen on work than others. Most of the "civilized areas" of La Noscea are plains with rolling hills, but orchards do exist. You don't typically run into any significant forest until you get relatively far from the city (in Upper and Outer La Noscea).

I'm sorry I don't recall any actual names of places (I rely on in-game maps for that :) ), but of course, you can always come up with a village of your own as the world is certainly larger than what we see in game. For instance, my Seeker comes from a small and relatively poor coastal village where most of the commerce is fishing and limited tree felling and woodworking. It's something I envision being near the drydocks outside the city proper, as they'd have a need for both food and wood.

One of the farming villages sounds good. When the open beta starts, I will make her, but I will need to also make a character that would start in that major city. She definitely would come from humble beginnings. Maybe her love of nature is what prompted her to become a Conjurer, and saved up travel gil to visit Gridania to learn from the Conjurer's Guild there?

One of the farming villages sounds good. When the open beta starts, I will make her, but I will need to also make a character that would start in that major city. She definitely would come from humble beginnings. Maybe her love of nature is what prompted her to become a Conjurer, and saved up travel gil to visit Gridania to learn from the Conjurer's Guild there?

Well, there's always less than reputable crews who'd be willing to transport "live cargo" for a reasonable sum...

There's a lot of other possibilities as well, including stowing away on a ship, befriending someone who'd take you there (perhaps a wandering Conjurer saw in her a gift, and decided to take her along?), or connecting to a group that'd fund the trip (I have some ideas on that related to an LS/FC concept I have). Maybe she went with a tia who traveled there to create a new tribe, to secure hunting grounds and become a nunh within those grounds, or to gain experience and strength to eventually become nunh. Perhaps that whole part of the tribe moved for some reason?

It's also possible she made it there after the Calamity 5 years ago as part of a group of refugees from the devastation. There's also more mystical options, such as seemingly random manifestations of Aether (she touched an Aetheryte and was suddenly teleported to Gridania, mysteriously) or powerful magic (she got caught up in Louisoix's time warp).

Well, there's always less than reputable crews who'd be willing to transport "live cargo" for a reasonable sum...

There's a lot of other possibilities as well, including stowing away on a ship, befriending someone who'd take you there (perhaps a wandering Conjurer saw in her a gift, and decided to take her along?), or connecting to a group that'd fund the trip (I have some ideas on that related to an LS/FC concept I have). Maybe she went with a tia who traveled there to create a new tribe, to secure hunting grounds and become a nunh within those grounds, or to gain experience and strength to eventually become nunh. Perhaps that whole part of the tribe moved for some reason?

It's also possible she made it there after the Calamity 5 years ago as part of a group of refugees from the devastation. There's also more mystical options, such as seemingly random manifestations of Aether (she touched an Aetheryte and was suddenly teleported to Gridania, mysteriously) or powerful magic (she got caught up in Louisoix's time warp).

I have to say the befriending someone who'd take her there sounds pretty good. But so does the stowing away part. She's not going to be the mating type, kinda like an oddball of the clan. She prefers learning about her surroundings over following tribe nature.

Hi guys. I like to try an plan out every bit of my characters, right down to how old they are. But I been searching and haven't found any actual charts yet. So figure why not ask here.

Question 1: How long do Miqo'te live, like when does a child Miqo'te be considered an adult or even when an adult is considered and elder?

Question 2: Where would a Miqo'te be born and raised, namely where would a seeker of the sun been born and raised?

Question 3: What is their society like? I know they enjoy the sunlight and would most likely have basic human sleep cycles. I am more refering to their culture itself. Is there any references I can look to?

I asked the same questions when I was making my Miqo'te Thaumaturge's backstory.

1) After reading up a bit on them myself, I liken the lifespan to than of the Hyur, possibly a little less since you don't seen many aged Miqo'te running around.

2)As for where they are born and raised, the chronology said that they crossed  the frozen oceans during one of the Umbral Eras, so although they still are split into tribal units/families, I would assume by now they have integrated into modern society. Mine was born in Ishgard, and her family was exiled when excommunicated from the church (Ishgard is supposedly a Theocracy).

3)  Keepers of the Sun and Keepers of the Moon led different lives, one nocturnal, and the other diurnal.  I assume some of that is still latent in their genes, so I like to think that Keepers of the Moon would still prefer napping in the day and enjoying the night life.

Very little of this is confirmed canon, but the nice thing about it is being creative.  There is nothing saying that they havent been included in modern Eorzean society to the point they are just like anyone else, or you could be part of an orthodox sect that still obeys the tribal traditions and shuns magitek and modern technology.

After reading up a bit on them myself, I liken the lifespan to than of the Hyur, possibly a little less since you don't seen many aged Miqo'te running around.

The lack of elderly Miqo'te is probably an aesthetic choice made by Squeenix.

However, there's also the possibility that Miqo'te age much more gracefully than other races.

After reading up a bit on them myself, I liken the lifespan to than of the Hyur, possibly a little less since you don't seen many aged Miqo'te running around.

However, there's also the possibility that Miqo'te age much more gracefully than other races.

Which makes sense actually. Since they are part feline, one can hardly tell how old a cat is in real life. You just know they aren't a kitten no more. I think it goes hand in hand with their very youthful look in game. The females no matter what face you take, look like they are young girls you'd see in anime. While Hyur females can look more mature, even similar to Yuna or older.

So it could well be there are elderly Miqo'te, they just don't look it. Like how lotr elves stop physically aging after a certain period in their lives.

I think this is likely. 99% of Squeenix's character models in any Final Fantasy game are youthfully perfect, with lustrous skin and silky hair. The player models and the NPCs are no exception. It's annoying, but what can one do?

I think this is likely. 99% of Squeenix's character models in any Final Fantasy game are youthfully perfect, with lustrous skin and silky hair. The player models and the NPCs are no exception. It's annoying, but what can one do?

We hide the elderly where we used to hide the men, >_>.

Xha'li might or might not know where this is, he refuses to give ANY answer on the subject.

I just thought you should know, they're planning a revolution.

They want out too. > x>

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my stab at an older miqo'te using the character generator. HK1Eiz3.jpg

She serves her own purpose in my storyline, so it wasn't all just about making her look old. And the male miqo'te have the grizzled face option that makes it quite easy to pull off an old male miqo'te too.

One thing to add that was mentioned in  FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Player Feedback Status List was 

"The male Miqo'te markings are a special characteristic of the race, and aren't actually tattoos. They are born with these markings and they become deeper in color as they grow older, but similar to people who have thin and thick facial hair, there are individual differences. With that said, there are some female Miqo'te face types that do not have this, but all of the male face types do."

One thing to add that was mentioned in  FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Player Feedback Status List was 

"The male Miqo'te markings are a special characteristic of the race, and aren't actually tattoos. They are born with these markings and they become deeper in color as they grow older, but similar to people who have thin and thick facial hair, there are individual differences. With that said, there are some female Miqo'te face types that do not have this, but all of the male face types do."

thanks for that info, it actually put my mind at ease with those marks I had no idea :)