On the fence - Lala or Miqo

Imsey

ETA - Please don't forget to comment on the character herself! =) It hasn't become that, but I don't want this to only be a Lala vs Miqo thread. =]

So, I'm a bit on the fence as far as what to finally settle on for my main. I'd like to settle before phase 4 starts, and thought I'd feel out some opinions here. =)

I'd originally planned on a Miqo'te (Zha'li's wiki is here!), but spent some time also running around on a Lalafell during phase 3. Sitting around and thinking since I have no beta to play, I came up with a character idea for that Lala that could be fun.

Lala-girl behind the cut:

Nenemi Nemi (name from phase 3 at any rate) is a young Dunesfolk Lalafell raised in the La Noscea region.  Her mother died when she was very young, leaving her father to raise her and her older siblings on his own.  Not considered the brightest of Lalafells, her father had on more than one occasion in his life been ridiculed for his choice to become a blacksmith when his own siblings had followed scholarly pursuits.  Lacking the size and strength of some of the larger races didn't deter him from his goals either, and his determination was something he passed on to all of his children.

"Nenemi," he would tell her on those nights where funds were tight, often when she was patching up small wounds from his day at work.   "Never let others tell you who you should be. If you want to do something, be something, you do it.  Don't just let people toss you around to suit their designs."

Now, part of it was no doubt her father tiring of getting tossed across broken bridges one too many times, but the message was true. Blacksmithing wasn't a path he'd been encouraged to follow, but it was what he wanted, and it'd brought him happiness.  Learning from her father's example, Nenemi swore to only follow a path in life that would bring happiness, even if it didn't bring wealth or luxury. Leaving home and traveling, Nenemi spent quite a bit of her time as a jack of all trades, wishing to someday become master of at least one.

The Calamity occurred while she was studying botany in Gridania, the young Lalafell caught out in the Shroud at the time.  Wounded and rescued by one of the Wood Wailers, she was at least spared the full experience of the tragedy, bedridden and protected with other wounded by the Conjurer's of the Twelveswood.  Once the danger had passed and she was able to travel, Nenemi went immediately home.  Her father had sustained and injury that would leave him unable to continue his trade, and while her siblings vowed to take care of him, Nenemi decided what she wished to do.

Returning to Gridania, she decided to focus on the healing arts of the Conjurers, learning from those who'd preserved her life in the hopes that she might mend her father's injury further. She's still keeping an eye out for that discipline that will scream 'life's dream' at her, but is happy in her choice for now.

Traits:

- opportunistic

- stubborn

- curious

- adventurous

- loyal

My questions to all of you:

1. Do you have any feedback for her? She's just in the start stages of planning, so she's pretty bare bones.

2. Which of the two would your character possibly have more fun/a more interesting encounter with?

I'm not asking you to tell me which to pick, and I'll certainly be picking the one I like best as a main when the time comes.  Either of them sound fun to me. =) The class will probably be a CNJ either way.

Nenemi's upbringing makes me think that although she is a CNJ, her blacksmithing father would shine through in her personality. The idea of a plain spoken little Lala telling others to "shake it off, be a man!" sounds delightful. She would be the gruff, tough love outwardly but a softie at heart.

That's just my take from your background.

For what it's worth I seem to have more fun when there's a Lala in the group. :P

I'm sure most of us would be happy to RP with you regardless of the choice you make.  I read in a couple polls that around 33% of the populace plans to play Miqo'te versus 20% planning to play Lalafell.  You can decide for yourself whether that has any influence.  I think the general perception of Lalafell is that they are more comical than Miqo'te, but that's no reason you can't have a dark, serious Lalafell or a Miqo'te that's a clown.

Probably the best suggestion I got was to try RPing both characters and see how it goes.  I tried to come up with stuff for a Roegadyn, but just couldn't get her off the ground.  Went back to my original concept for a Miqo'te and it fell right into place.  Do that, and I doubt you'll have any regrets, and if they both click for you, you can have twice the fun!

Good luck in your choice :D

Nenemi's upbringing makes me think that although she is a CNJ, her blacksmithing father would shine through in her personality...

Yeah, that's pretty much the sort of take I was looking at for her! =) And thanks! I have to admit I enjoy having a Lala around myself.

I'm sure most of us would be happy to RP with you regardless of the choice you make...

Thanks for the advice! For a while the high Miqo'te numbers did bother me, but honestly at the moment I feel like I may connect to the Lala more. I haven't really RP'd either of them yet of course, so we shall see. =) Just testing the waters until I can back in the game.

Without beating around the bush, I'll just give you my opinions. No one get offended by this. There are way too damn many miqo'te. If it's the route you really want to go, go for it. Play your little kitten heart out. I won't stop you, I won't even discourage you. I won't avoid you, talk under my breath about you, or belittle you. I'm all about people playing what they want. That being said, if you're on the fence about it, the rest of us could use the population boost. As someone who also RPs a lalafell (alt), I can say we're in dire need of lala who aren't clowns, as well. A lot of them lack depth and are simply as cute as they can be. Not to say cute lalafell can't have depth, but it's rare. There are plenty of lalafell RPers who have wonderful character ideas. I'm just trying to break some lalafell stereotypes.

Play whatever you want. The game is here for you to enjoy, and we'll all respect your choice. But those are some important things (in my opinion) to keep in mind if you're undecided.

tl;dr

There are a ton of miqo'te.

Lalafell are rarely taken seriously.

Without beating around the bush...

I came here seeking opinions, and appreciate yours. I was not offended at any rate.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know that my character seems like she could fill a bit of a niche that's under used. =)

I'm all in favor of people playing serious Lalafell (in much the same way I want to see more serious miqo'te, and tribal miqo'te). Since we have so many miqo'te right now -- a problem to which I'm contributing, I realize -- I would recommend going Lalafell.

And, hey, as L'yhri could use more people to talk with about magic, my vote is of course going to be for a fellow spellslinger. :)

(in much the same way I want to see more serious miqo'te, and tribal miqo'te). 

This is one thing that kind of bums me out. I like the idea of Miqo'te but I hate the execution. It's no one's fault. It's more the character creator than anything. I just never get a tribal feel when I see even the most primitive looking Miqo'te because of the fact that they all have boyish faces and "good guy scars". I know it's not fair to judge people on the game's limitations, but I would be all over that race if they were just a little more feral. They're just ...more kitten than lion.

Off-topic, sorry.

Also, byaaayyyy more serious Lalafell!

(in much the same way I want to see more serious miqo'te, and tribal miqo'te). 

This is one thing that kind of bums me out. I like the idea of Miqo'te but I hate the execution. It's no one's fault. It's more the character creator than anything. I just never get a tribal feel when I see even the most primitive looking Miqo'te because of the fact that they all have boyish faces and "good guy scars". I know it's not fair to judge people on the game's limitations, but I would be all over that race if they were just a little more feral. They're just ...more kitten than lion.

Off-topic, sorry.

Also, byaaayyyy more serious Lalafell!

I'd generally have to agree. Making a serious feral/tribal looking Miqo'te is kinda tough when they look like J-Pop Stars. I do think that serious Miqo'te characters are awesome and do-able though. I mean, I think my character is pretty serious and I'm thoroughly enjoying everything I write for him. 

Anyway, back to topic. Lalas are always awesome.

I'd generally have to agree. Making a serious feral/tribal looking Miqo'te is kinda tough when they look like J-Pop Stars. I do think that serious Miqo'te characters are awesome and do-able though. I mean, I think my character is pretty serious and I'm thoroughly enjoying everything I write for him. 

71PCMoH.jpg

This is as good as I could do in phase 3.

...That's supposed to be a blind eye, if you can't tell from the scar, btw.

Nothing says "I'm a serious Miqo'te" more than an eyepatch. Sadly, I think they are always on the left eye. Or at least the two models I saw during the Beta.

With that said, what I do when undecided about characters is make them all and try to roleplay them (this ussually means hunting around for fellow roleplayers). Backstory is not that important at this point, in case you are worried about that. Think of it as a 'test run'. The ensuing roleplay might even force you to come up with details about your characters you didn't even think. But, more importantly, it will grant you practical experience with them. Since you will be playing them a lot (or so I guess, anyway), it's quite important to try them both and decide based on this practical experience instead of the theory behind the character.

That's pretty much how I settled which one of my characters would be my main for roleplaying in ARR, really.

Without beating around the bush, I'll just give you my opinions. No one get offended by this. There are way too damn many miqo'te. If it's the route you really want to go, go for it. Play your little kitten heart out. I won't stop you, I won't even discourage you. I won't avoid you, talk under my breath about you, or belittle you. I'm all about people playing what they want. That being said, if you're on the fence about it, the rest of us could use the population boost. As someone who also RPs a lalafell (alt), I can say we're in dire need of lala who aren't clowns, as well. A lot of them lack depth and are simply as cute as they can be. Not to say cute lalafell can't have depth, but it's rare. There are plenty of lalafell RPers who have wonderful character ideas. I'm just trying to break some lalafell stereotypes.

Play whatever you want. The game is here for you to enjoy, and we'll all respect your choice. But those are some important things (in my opinion) to keep in mind if you're undecided.

tl;dr

There are a ton of miqo'te.

Lalafell are rarely taken seriously.

I would have to agree with all points here. Personally I'm going to be playing my Lalafell as a funny but cute sarcastic bastard, he will also be my main lore associated character that I will be -fully- following the lore with in a traditional manner. (Amaare is not your typical Hyur being not from Ala Mhigo at all and knowing really nothing about it he is my mmo mascot character that I tend to use across mmos and serves a role of icebreaker for new roleplayers.). So I agree with the playing a more serious Lalafell. So yes I will be using the cuteness buuut again he will also be quite sarcastic at times and incredibly intelligent. Not to mention he will use that cuteness to his advantage whenever he is able if you underestimate him.

And yes I love Miquo's too but I wish they did overall have a slightly more feral look or the possibility of a more feral look *shrugs* but such is what you get when you play an mmo like this.

Your Lalafell sounds amazing! I'll be RPing a serious Lala come phase 4/launch. His wiki is in my signature if you'd like to see. Your Miqo'te seems cool, but I'm going to say I like your Lala better. Unbiased opinion I swear! Maybe...

Thanks! Yours does, too. Definitely someone I'll keep an eye out for to RP with. ;D

This thread is becoming something I didn't mean to start, bad thread naming probably. xD But thanks everyone for your opinions/advice! Definitely gives me more to think on as I work out who my main will be. Hoping to get in and get some test RP soon on both.

To go off topic in my own thread, the way some feel the Miqo'te aren't feral enough is similar to how I feel the femRoes are too small. I'm absolutely not surprised, but I'd hoped they'd be bigger than they ended up. =/ Oh well, their running animation killed my desire to play one anyway.

But again, thanks all.