Garlean question(s)

1.) Exactly how far does the Garlean Empire stretch- both before 1.0 and after Calamity? One source says they were knocking on Gridania's doorstep before suddenly turning around and heading back north... (which makes me think nearly all of the eastern half/"peninsula" of Xelphatol was conquered (area of not only Ala Mhingo but Gyn Albania)... another specifically states Gyn Albania and Ala Mhingo, but doesn't go further- making me think only those areas far north-east, but not so far as north of Gridania...

How far west, i guess, is my question were the conquered lands? Do we know? Seems most of that area of Xelphatol is uninhabited...

2.) Ceruleum... can only be found in Northern Thanalan? Waaaaaay down there near Ul'dah? That is really far for 'enemy' scouts and Ceruleum hunters from Garlamand to be traveling. Especially if you're passing through the Shroud. Now granted, not sure how airships work, being a newbie to FFXIV, but seems if they were floating over enemy skies, they'd be shot down. Most definitely would be attacked by a force upon landing...

Are there any other places Ceruleum would be found or... was there another way to get Aether to power the Magitek?

I can't answer 1, but I can answer 2. Or...a part of it.

During the story-line mission that opens up Airship travel, it is stated that Airship travel is tightly controlled and kept to a minimum because of fear that the Garlean shoot them down. This, to me, implies that the Garleans are able to send airships without being shot down or being detected by the Grand Companies. Consider that they do not have the same access to magitek the Empire has (though that might change), and airships are actually quite hard to detect (or even see) without modern radars. So the Eorzean military groups could 'probably' catch it when it's landing, but by the time they get a patrol or squad there, the garleans might already be gone or be on their way by foot.

Airships seem to work on 'spaceship' or maybe 'helicopter' physics in ARR's world, judging by one of the cinematic trailers and the in-game cinematic you are shown when using the Airship passes.

About Ceruleum: the wiki says it's obtained by refining elemental crystals, so it's likely that there's quite a lot of places where you can get them. On the other hand, it then mentions it's only found in Thanalan. That would explain (in part) why the Empire is trying to invade Eorzea: their magitek is powered by huge ammount of it, so they will need it to mantain their power.

I'd assume it means Ceruleum can be found in 'raw' form only in Thanalan, but that you can obtain it by processing normal elemental crystals, too.

1.) Exactly how far does the Garlean Empire stretch- both before 1.0 and after Calamity? One source says they were knocking on Gridania's doorstep before suddenly turning around and heading back north... (which makes me think nearly all of the eastern half/"peninsula" of Xelphatol was conquered (area of not only Ala Mhingo but Gyn Albania)... another specifically states Gyn Albania and Ala Mhingo, but doesn't go further- making me think only those areas far north-east, but not so far as north of Gridania...

How far west, i guess, is my question were the conquered lands? Do we know? Seems most of that area of Xelphatol is uninhabited...

2.) Ceruleum... can only be found in Northern Thanalan? Waaaaaay down there near Ul'dah? That is really far for 'enemy' scouts and Ceruleum hunters from Garlamand to be traveling. Especially if you're passing through the Shroud. Now granted, not sure how airships work, being a newbie to FFXIV, but seems if they were floating over enemy skies, they'd be shot down. Most definitely would be attacked by a force upon landing...

Are there any other places Ceruleum would be found or... was there another way to get Aether to power the Magitek?

1. In terms of actual conquered territory, all we know of at this point is the Empire controls Ala Mihgo and the the surrounding area, as well as having a fairly large presence and base in Mor Dhona. That would be as of 1.0. Post calamity there is a Castrum (Imperial base) in the area surrounding each of the three main city-states. How much of the physical territory (past the area immediately surrounding the Castrums) they control in those areas is up for debate. It is probably best to assume that they physical zones they have placed that contain the Castrums are disputed and heavily skirmished in territory. Mileage may vary as more develops. For instance we do not know if Coerthas contains a Castrum or two yet. The base in Mor Dhona does seem to have expanded significantly, as well. It is safe to say at this point that the Empire is knocking on everyone's doors. At least, the XIVth Legion is.

2. As far as we know Thanalan is the only place in Eorzea that Ceruleum has been found in large quantities and is being pumped and refined. There are possible much smaller pockets in other areas, but we have seen nothing on the scale of the instillation in Thanalan. It is stated that there are Ceruleum deposits on the northern continent in the Empire proper. We also know that Ul'dah used to pump and refine the Ceruleum and trade it with the Empire. The Empire has it's own Ceruleum, but that does not mean it does not want more. They have a pretty massive war of conquest going on, after all.

Consider that they do not have the same access to magitek the Empire has (though that might change), and airships are actually quite hard to detect (or even see) without modern radars.

So.... I should probably keep quiet about the fact that Runa would have been one of those people designing advanced stealth airships for the empire? >.>

*hides*

So.... I should probably keep quiet about the fact that Runa would have been one of those people designing advanced stealth airships for the empire? >.>

*hides*

". . . until one day a man clad in all black showed up at her doorstep, saying he was a representative from Garlond Ironworks, wanting to make a few inquiries or some-such.  Haven't seen Runa since then, come to think of it...  can't say I'm suprised with the stories she used to tell." ~ conversation overheard on Pearl Lane.

Yea, might wanna keep that tidbit to yourself ^_^

*hides*

". . . until one day a man clad in all black showed up at her doorstep, saying he was a representative from Garlond Ironworks, wanting to make a few inquiries or some-such.  Haven't seen Runa since then, come to think of it...  can't say I'm suprised with the stories she used to tell." ~ conversation overheard on Pearl Lane.

Yea, might wanna keep that tidbit to yourself ^_^

Hahahahahaha! ;)

Blech. Can't figure out how to double quote...

Anyway...

So, if I'm understanding you guys correctly: Aether/Ceruleum can be obtained from elemental crystal processing (from crystals found all over Eorzea), but the motherload is in Thanalan at that Aether Processing Plant?

Also... so, according to the timeline assembled in the RPC library, Garlamand was making a hard push towards Gridania up 1562- any idea what all they conquered? As far west as Ishgard area? Or did they kinda skirt the 'uninhabited mountains' to focus south to Gridania only? (who'd wanna mess with devout dragon-slayers anyway??!!!)

Blech. Can't figure out how to double quote...

Anyway...

So, if I'm understanding you guys correctly: Aether/Ceruleum can be obtained from elemental crystal processing (from crystals found all over Eorzea), but the motherload is in Thanalan at that Aether Processing Plant?

Also... so, according to the timeline assembled in the RPC library, Garlamand was making a hard push towards Gridania up 1562- any idea what all they conquered? As far west as Ishgard area? Or did they kinda skirt the 'uninhabited mountains' to focus south to Gridania only? (who'd wanna mess with devout dragon-slayers anyway??!!!)

I was wondering this too. Would scout parties have been found in Coerthas shortly before the calamity as well?

Kyatai: yes, the main and only Eorzean deposit is in Thanalan. At least, it seems it's the only one that has been discovered as of time of speaking.

I think Ishgard is locked up in their own little holy war with dragons, currently, and the garleans had a very nasty battle against them (the dragons, I mean. There's a cutscene in the game and all). I'd say it's likely the Empire isn't focusing on Ishgard because they aren't particularly helping the rest of Eorzea and maybe because the dragons are actually a bigger problem.

Besides, I'm sure once Ishgard wins/stabilizes their war effort against the dragons, the Empire will lunge in and take advantage of their weakened state.

Surprised I missed this thread. Everything and anything Garlemald/Magitek related is sooo my forte. Everyone else has nailed your questions more or less, but I figure I'd tack on to elaborate on some things.

Ceruleum is basically a heavily refined and purified form of liquid "aether" as it were. It's an incredibly potent energy source, and also extremely volatile. It is, obviously, the main fuel source for all Magitek technology. It can be drained from crystals (which leaves an un-aspected husk of a crystal in it's place), and can also be mined from the earth itself. As was mentioned, the only known deposit of Ceruleum is in northern Thanalan, and has been monopolized by the Sultunate. The Garlond Ironworks likely has a large part in this operation as well.

This deposit is due in part to the close proximity of Silvertear lake, which is sort of the aetherical center of Eorzea. All aether flows to that one point, and the northern mountains of Thanalan happen to sit directly over one of the streams that connects to Silvertear.

Now, before I get off on a Magitek tangent, the empire currently only holds Gyr Abania and Ala Mhigo under their control as far as Eorzean territory is concerned. They do, however, have many Castrums situated throughout Eorzea as of ARR. They have a large base in Mor Dhona, two in Thanalan, an absolutely massive Castrum set up in Gridania, and one in La Noscea that we've seen so far. Suffice it to say, they've spread out quite a bit.

Xelphatol actually isn't entirely uninhabited. This region is home to the Ixali, and they likely have the majority of it under their control. The Xelphatol Mountains are primarily barren and full of windy, jagged ravines. It's a fairly unfriendly place, and it's unlikely that the empire would bother much with it at this point in time. Outside of that, Garlemald holds almost all (if not the entirety) of the continent of Ilsabard, as well as a majority of the continent of Othard (which lies on Ilsabard's eastern border).