Lore Discrepancies between 1.x and ARR

Should stories set in the 1.x timeline adhere to 1.x lore?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should stories set in the 1.x timeline adhere to 1.x lore?

• Yes. This is a continuation of the 1.x timeline.
    • No, this is a reboot. Any stories set in that timeline are free to ignore 1.x lore.

I think that if the memory-wipe only obscured the Warriors' faces and nothing else, then people would have made memorials with their names or, on a meta level, it would have been mentioned in the introduction. It's more likely that the spell made people forget about their individual features. They know the Warriors existed, but can't tell anything specific about them.

We'll have to wait until we play through the storyline to know all the details, I guess.

During my play through on one of the beta weekends.. The one where they introduced the duty finder, I believe.. I was doing the primary chain through Ul'dah, and just before you're sent off to the other capitals, whatshisface - Big black dude - tells you the story of the Warriors of Light.

I'm almost postive he says exactly what Ildur said.. That all they remember about the Warriors of Light is that they existed. They can't remember the face, or name, or anything about them.. Just that they were alive, and they saved Eorzea. 

He described it as looking up at a hilltop, and seeing a silhouetted figure.

Personally, I think this leaves ARR open to interpretation. We can read that as saying WE are the Warriors of Light returned, or we can read that as saying SE will eventually bring in some NPC's who are the 'official' Warriors of Light.

Personally, I think this leaves ARR open to interpretation. We can read that as saying WE are the Warriors of Light returned, or we can read that as saying SE will eventually bring in some NPC's who are the 'official' Warriors of Light.

I recall Yoshida at one point referring directly to the player characters as the Warriors of Light, and it really wouldn't make sense that everyone only forgot the Warriors of Light but yet they still forgot us returning characters as well? That implies VERY strongly that we are said Warriors of Light. While not exactly proof, it can further be justified by the fact that the CE Helmet this time around is the Warrior of Light helmet.

It's not just implied. If your character had completed the Seventh Umbral Era storyline, you get slightly tweaked cutscenes where occasionally NPCs who have the Echo will state they remember you and know what you did for them at the battle.

It's not just implied. If your character had completed the Seventh Umbral Era storyline, you get slightly tweaked cutscenes where occasionally NPCs who have the Echo will state they remember you and know what you did for them at the battle.

Now that is really cool! All the more reason I wish my old account was Legacy.

The biggest confirmation it was a bug was that it was accepted as a big in the beta forums, though the devs never came in and said "Yeah it's a bug"

As for the topics: Coming into ARR after playing 1.0 for a very short time makes it really easy for me and my guildies to just pretend Male Miqote and the Female Roe's and Highlanders were always there - a few of us are even retconning our characters to those races. We're just kind pretending that we weren't friends with a lot of them for whatever reason and now we'll be seeing more.

On Foggy Memory Syndrome: My guild is going right with the canon on this, that everyone who knew the WoL lost their memories. They didn't lose the memories of situations, or the memories of familiarity, but they lost the memories of that person specifically. Our resident "I don't remember shit" character Stanzie knew everyone in 1.0 and was left behind, meaning she knows no one now. She remembers things that happened and she remembered situations, but she doesn't remember the person they were attached too. She knows something is wrong with her memory, but after five years she figures it doesn't much matter.

We recently started roleplaying again and the only way Stanzie even beleives Loki and Siben (Her closest friends, Siben was her best friend) are who they say they are is because she has a notebook with their names attached to memories she had and they proved they are who they said they are. She has really familiar feelings with the two, especially Siben, which makes her uncomfortable since at the same time he feels like a stranger.

We're playing at as the people's marks on history aren't gone, Stanzie's journal didn't up and change their names or anything, just the memories are foggy.

I know Stanzie's player IRL and I think we talked about her problems for DAYS trying to get this all worked out xD

The biggest confirmation it was a bug was that it was accepted as a big in the beta forums, though the devs never came in and said "Yeah it's a bug"

As for the topics: Coming into ARR after playing 1.0 for a very short time makes it really easy for me and my guildies to just pretend Male Miqote and the Female Roe's and Highlanders were always there - a few of us are even retconning our characters to those races. We're just kind pretending that we weren't friends with a lot of them for whatever reason and now we'll be seeing more.

On Foggy Memory Syndrome: My guild is going right with the canon on this, that everyone who knew the WoL lost their memories. They didn't lose the memories of situations, or the memories of familiarity, but they lost the memories of that person specifically. Our resident "I don't remember shit" character Stanzie knew everyone in 1.0 and was left behind, meaning she knows no one now. She remembers things that happened and she remembered situations, but she doesn't remember the person they were attached too. She knows something is wrong with her memory, but after five years she figures it doesn't much matter.

We recently started roleplaying again and the only way Stanzie even beleives Loki and Siben (Her closest friends, Siben was her best friend) are who they say they are is because she has a notebook with their names attached to memories she had and they proved they are who they said they are. She has really familiar feelings with the two, especially Siben, which makes her uncomfortable since at the same time he feels like a stranger.

We're playing at as the people's marks on history aren't gone, Stanzie's journal didn't up and change their names or anything, just the memories are foggy.

I know Stanzie's player IRL and I think we talked about her problems for DAYS trying to get this all worked out xD

I think this is one of the best sources I've seen regarding the amnesia issue. I'd upvote if this forum had that option. xD