Story Gatherers..thoughts and input please

How would you like to be involved?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to be involved?

So, I've been toying with this idea. I am going to be playing on both servers and probably would do this idea on both if I go through with it.

I want to make a simple event to try and bring the community closer. One that I could start and semi run yet it wouldn't require tons and tons of dedication to keep going. Naturally I thought of a simple story circle or meet and greet.

My original idea was of a carnival, something akin to the darkmoon faire in wow but that...would just be going way outside of my limits of interest so I would need a lot of help with that (brought this up so you know of the other idea I have so far). Then I came to this idea of story gatherers.

The story gatherers:

Premise:

A group called the story gatherers are collecting the stories from adventurers, citizens, etc. Each one goes by the name gatherer or story gatherer not acknowledging the existence of the rest of the gathers. The point of the group is to purely collect stories in hopes that by having all these chronicles from people that it will some how help prevent or lessen the damage of another 5 year episode of amnesia and to help those affected recover their memory.

Being a Gatherer:

To create a character all you need to do is make a gatherer that should have a nondescript personality that's only purpose was to lead a story telling group/circle. This character could be a pre-existing character that is disguised but they are there to only make sure the group goes in the right direction with the stories and not stagnate. A more involved story about them writing this down and meeting could take place but it would only be in the background and not necessarily rp'd out unless we got enough people interested to do so.

I am going to leave it up to each individual (given the nature of the group) to run the events how they see fit however I would like you to notify me of it and to follow some simple OOC rules like be respectful, patient, etc. I will be running the group OOCly and ICly with making the lead character but he will not be an entity that guides the others but more of one that will collect the information and permit people to use the gatherer identity.

Being a Storyteller:

The stories presented could be fact or fiction, they are indeed looking to preserve the history of the world but also its cultures and personality. So they would take anything presented and categorize it as what they believed it to fall under. So that means at these events people could present anything they would want to. No story should be shamed or be told to stop unless it gets to the point of being so long no one else would participate.

I imagine we would need to keep stories down a 15 minute length at maximum so as many people could participate as wanted. I would not put a length on how long the event goes though, just a starting point.

OOC Purpose and stuff:

The OOC purpose of this would be to create an event that would bounce between cities every week and on night a week hold a gathering for people to meet and tell stories at. However, you could also socialize and just get to know each other as well at the meetings just be respectful of the story tellers. You do not need to be a story teller or a gather to participate in the events. I am just laying down the ideas for such roles and being just an observer doesn't need rules besides be respectful. :chocobo:

:EDIT: Please ignore the poll, I just wanted to see how you would go about adding one and what it entailed. I didn't mean to actually include it :blush:

You know, when I first envisioned Isobeau, the one thing I thought that would be a driving factor in her character is she wanted to observe instances where Nymeia's wheel of fate would spin one way or another for the participants. Like the proverbial crossroads, where events could go either way, and fates were decided at that particular pivotal point in time. Her background story was entirely like that; at the instant of her Clan's greatest moment, the Calamity struck and took everything away. There is a purpose within herself for wanting to collect those experiences.

These experiences, of course, would be stories, and stories are meant to be told. To what purpose? Perhaps to ponder the road not taken :). Establishing forums for the continuation of verbal storytelling and the passing on of oral tradition is a good thing, I think, and I might desire to partake in such activities as a part of my character's growth.

Interesting idea and I'd be interested to participate.

This thread I whipped up recently might also be relevent to your interests, but would be more of a seasonal thing rather than weekly since I think the interest in such a thing tends to wane a bit as there are other avenues for RP and such.  I know what you're proposing isn't the same thing, but similar so I thought I would just call your attention to that.  Also that would be specific to Balmung server as I have no real intention of playing on Gilgamesh, and it would be great if there was some kind of corresponding event.

But yes, the concept sounds a bit more elaborate than what I was proposing in the other thread and I'm certainly intrigued and looking forward to hearing more.  :)

So, I've been toying with this idea. I am going to be playing on both servers and probably would do this idea on both if I go through with it.

I want to make a simple event to try and bring the community closer. One that I could start and semi run yet it wouldn't require tons and tons of dedication to keep going. Naturally I thought of a simple story circle or meet and greet.

My original idea was of a carnival, something akin to the darkmoon faire in wow but that...would just be going way outside of my limits of interest so I would need a lot of help with that (brought this up so you know of the other idea I have so far). Then I came to this idea of story gatherers.

The story gatherers:

Premise:

A group called the story gatherers are collecting the stories from adventurers, citizens, etc. Each one goes by the name gatherer or story gatherer not acknowledging the existence of the rest of the gathers. The point of the group is to purely collect stories in hopes that by having all these chronicles from people that it will some how help prevent or lessen the damage of another 5 year episode of amnesia and to help those affected recover their memory.

Being a Gatherer:

To create a character all you need to do is make a gatherer that should have a nondescript personality that's only purpose was to lead a story telling group/circle. This character could be a pre-existing character that is disguised but they are there to only make sure the group goes in the right direction with the stories and not stagnate. A more involved story about them writing this down and meeting could take place but it would only be in the background and not necessarily rp'd out unless we got enough people interested to do so.

I am going to leave it up to each individual (given the nature of the group) to run the events how they see fit however I would like you to notify me of it and to follow some simple OOC rules like be respectful, patient, etc. I will be running the group OOCly and ICly with making the lead character but he will not be an entity that guides the others but more of one that will collect the information and permit people to use the gatherer identity.

Being a Storyteller:

The stories presented could be fact or fiction, they are indeed looking to preserve the history of the world but also its cultures and personality. So they would take anything presented and categorize it as what they believed it to fall under. So that means at these events people could present anything they would want to. No story should be shamed or be told to stop unless it gets to the point of being so long no one else would participate.

I imagine we would need to keep stories down a 15 minute length at maximum so as many people could participate as wanted. I would not put a length on how long the event goes though, just a starting point.

OOC Purpose and stuff:

The OOC purpose of this would be to create an event that would bounce between cities every week and on night a week hold a gathering for people to meet and tell stories at. However, you could also socialize and just get to know each other as well at the meetings just be respectful of the story tellers. You do not need to be a story teller or a gather to participate in the events. I am just laying down the ideas for such roles and being just an observer doesn't need rules besides be respectful. :chocobo:

:EDIT: Please ignore the poll, I just wanted to see how you would go about adding one and what it entailed. I didn't mean to actually include it :blush:

I am some-what interested in this, as I am going to be roleplaying a Bard. I was going to have him tell stories and figured I could just make some up on spot depending on my inspiration but it would be much better if they were based on other people and actually happened. Of course, he would put his spin on it or it would come out through his voice rather than a script or book reading.

The only thing is that I don't think my character would disguise himself or hide his face to do so, as I had originally intended on having him be some-what of a story teller.

So, perhaps I could tell some of the stories the gathers..gather, while not directly being in that group? Who knows!

Oh! That gives me an idea. I think it would be interesting to have a thread where people can post stories of their characters or events that happened to them that story tellers could..story tell with. Maybe that is kind of meta-gaming? But I think the forums would be easier to collect that information..and somehow we could find a way to have it translate into Roleplay without meta-gaming the knowledge of the story into our characters through us, the players. Who knows!

Great idea.

Can't see my DW standing up and telling stories, and can't say if she'd sit about collecting them either (but likely not, though she'd definitely listen)... but a very good idea!

Soliloquy hosting one of these every so often would be great- maybe if the other major cities have a RP tavern like place, it could rotate?

Oh! That gives me an idea. I think it would be interesting to have a thread where people can post stories of their characters or events that happened to them that story tellers could..story tell with. Maybe that is kind of meta-gaming? But I think the forums would be easier to collect that information..and somehow we could find a way to have it translate into Roleplay without meta-gaming the knowledge of the story into our characters through us, the players. Who knows!

Well I was thinking the gatherers would tell stories themselves so maybe create a sub forum that was stories sent to the gatherers instead of told to them?

For storytellers I was thinking of purely that they would come up with their own stories or tell stories that they heard.

I am glad this is getting so much interest and I really appreciate that people are taking to this idea.

Soliloquy hosting one of these every so often would be great- maybe if the other major cities have a RP tavern like place, it could rotate?

And the plan was to use it trading between cities and not in the same city but once every two weeks or so to make rp be spread out among the world and not centralized in one place. Don't know if I forgot to add that.

Well I was thinking the gatherers would tell stories themselves so maybe create a sub forum that was stories sent to the gatherers instead of told to them?

For storytellers I was thinking of purely that they would come up with their own stories or tell stories that they heard.

I am glad this is getting so much interest and I really appreciate that people are taking to this idea.

Yeah, the story-teller part is what my character would do.. But I don't think ICly he would join in on some kind of organization to do it, it would mostly be OOCly organized.

I guess what I was thinking is that.. Okay. Think of all the stories we know IRL. Jack and Jill. The Gingerbread man. Maybe those are bad examples. Hansel and Gretel. You know what I am getting at. IRL we have stories we've heard about people, even if they aren't quite famous, that people tell stories about. Usually they are for kids, but I think if we made a sub-forum or forum thread for a collection of stories people could make up, that don't go against lore, story tellers or people planning on telling stories could use some in their roleplays.

Maybe it would kinda be redundant, or maybe we should make it membership-based, so if you are a story teller you have access to the library of stories to use, that way the stories can't get ruined by reading them all on the thread before you hear them ICly. 

I think it would be really interesting if we could do this, or something like it. Although I suppose I am more attracted to an OOC organized effort rather than my character being a part of an unoffical "guild of storytellers" sort of thing. But then again, that could always change.

Sorry if that was kinda wordy, sometimes I have trouble explaining whats running through this noggin' of mine.

I suppose what I mean is all those "Brother's Grim" stories, King Arthur and the knights of the round table, Robin Hood.

Stuff like that.. I think if we made new stories for Final Fantasy's universe, or at least lore-abiding or following to be semi-believable. Or maybe they could even be made up fantasy stories just for entertainment, but either way.

If we had a huge library of stories like this written by other players that we could say our characters know ICly by being story tellers (we can think deeper for an IC reason as to how they came to knowledge of them if this idea takes), such as a forum or something that is need-to-know based, so only story-tellers could access the library, it would be amazing for us story tellers. 

I think if everyone can go see the stories it would ruin the chance for them to hear it ICly, and just as all telephone games go, our characters would be telling the story with their own 'voice', so that is where the different versions of the stories would come into play ( we all know how many different movies there are for King Arthur and Robin Hood).

Yeah, the story-teller part is what my character would do.. But I don't think ICly he would join in on some kind of organization to do it, it would mostly be OOCly organized.

I guess what I was thinking is that.. Okay. Think of all the stories we know IRL. Jack and Jill. The Gingerbread man. Maybe those are bad examples. Hansel and Gretel. You know what I am getting at. IRL we have stories we've heard about people, even if they aren't quite famous, that people tell stories about. Usually they are for kids, but I think if we made a sub-forum or forum thread for a collection of stories people could make up, that don't go against lore, story tellers or people planning on telling stories could use some in their roleplays.

Maybe it would kinda be redundant, or maybe we should make it membership-based, so if you are a story teller you have access to the library of stories to use, that way the stories can't get ruined by reading them all on the thread before you hear them ICly.

I think it would be really interesting if we could do this, or something like it. Although I suppose I am more attracted to an OOC organized effort rather than my character being a part of an unoffical "guild of storytellers" sort of thing. But then again, that could always change.

Sorry if that was kinda wordy, sometimes I have trouble explaining whats running through this noggin' of mine.

I suppose what I mean is all those "Brother's Grim" stories, King Arthur and the knights of the round table, Robin Hood.

Stuff like that.. I think if we made new stories for Final Fantasy's universe, or at least lore-abiding or following to be semi-believable. Or maybe they could even be made up fantasy stories just for entertainment, but either way.

If we had a huge library of stories like this written by other players that we could say our characters know ICly by being story tellers (we can think deeper for an IC reason as to how they came to knowledge of them if this idea takes), such as a forum or something that is need-to-know based, so only story-tellers could access the library, it would be amazing for us story tellers.

I think if everyone can go see the stories it would ruin the chance for them to hear it ICly, and just as all telephone games go, our characters would be telling the story with their own 'voice', so that is where the different versions of the stories would come into play ( we all know how many different movies there are for King Arthur and Robin Hood).

No no no no no, sorry for the confusion. Story tellers aren't part of anything. They are just random people telling stories at the events. That's it. They are not associated at the gathers at all.

What's going on is simply gathers gathering the people in a city together and to share stories with everyone while gathering the stories down at the same time. Storytellers and observers are the same thing. They are the attendee's of the event. I don't think we should be creating a repository for everyone since this is supposed to be a simple thing that is really only meant oocly to get people together and to show off people's talents for writing stories and what not.

Its not that I don't like your idea its just going way past what I intend with this project.

No no no no no, sorry for the confusion. Story tellers aren't part of anything. They are just random people telling stories at the events. That's it. They are not associated at the gathers at all.

What's going on is simply gathers gathering the people in a city together and to share stories with everyone while gathering the stories down at the same time. Storytellers and observers are the same thing. They are the attendee's of the event. I don't think we should be creating a repository for everyone since this is supposed to be a simple thing that is really only meant oocly to get people together and to show off people's talents for writing stories and what not.

Its not that I don't like your idea its just going way past what I intend with this project.

Yeah my idea was mostly just a side-thought which was birthed from your idea. xD

Either way.. I think it would be cool if we could gather together all of the stories people have so story tellers such as myself can tell those stories in role play.

Are you talking mostly event-based stuff? So.. like gathers would go out and basically advertise that there is a story telling going on, and then story tellers would tell the story and the gathers would record the story as well?

xD Sorry, sometimes I can be slow on the uptake.

EDIT: Re-read your original post, must have missed the "OOC and stuff" part of it, I see what you mean now. It would be pretty cool to see that. Kind of like a Psychic fair kind of thing.. except for story telling. Well, I suppose psychics could be a form of that but you get my point :P