Coeurl Tribe

I know of some people playing characters who are, or were, part of the "C" tribe, but I haven't seen any organized activity around branches of that tribe.

For what it's worth, you can't really step on toes with a tribal miqo'te, as "tribe" is probably best thought of as "nation;" every tribe is made up of many branches, each with their own territory, their own nunh, and their own variations on tribal life. So, as long as you don't assert that what you've got in mind is true for the entirety of the "C" tribe but only for your character's particular branch, you're golden. :)

Ah, excellent!  I was going to make the info I'd created public of course so folks could 'borrow' from it as they liked, but if there was organization along the lines of Hipparion going on (which is AWESOME) then I wanted to make sure I knew about it so I didn't mess anything up.

I'd rather figured they were a bit more like nations, or more like the native people of N. America where they all have a similarity (the Souix Nations for instance) but lots of individuality amongst the families.

Anyway, I suppose I should have said hello, too, this being my first thread and all.

Hello!:moogle:

Cool!

What I have been working on is basically going to be a Wikipedia-style entry for a subset of the tribe that folks can use for their backstories.  I'm not planning on creating a linkshell at the moment, I just like anthropological/sociological stuff so I've done a -lot- of research and put something together that I'll hopefully post up today or tomorrow so folks can look at it, give feedback, and if they like it maybe use it if they don't already have backstory or details about their character that they'd like to have filled in. :)

So, this is taking much longer than I expected. *laughs* My own darn fault, I like details.

Anyway, the Wiki entry for the Coeurl Tribe is UP.  

As mentioned before, this is something I've created so folks can use it, if they want, as a resource for backstory or just as a 'hey, that's neat'.  It's not meant to be an end-all, be-all for the Coeurl tribe (and that is actually mentioned in the wiki itself, that it's focused on a subset of the tribe).  It's the culmination of a great deal of research on various indigenous cultures world-wide with a focus on desert/plains dwelling people with modifications made for the sociobiology of more animalistic beings.

I hope people enjoy!

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Coeurl_Tribe

Edit: *falls over dead* Okay, the page is finished. It's not pretty yet and there are still some details and gaps and things but I think I need to work on something else for a bit.

My character's mother was part of the Coeurl tribe when she was younger but is no longer affiliated with them, as they disapproved of her choice in mates. However, Faustina has a tribal name C'leantha and it might be interesting later on down the line to have interactions between her and the full fledged members :3

Pugilist alt C'sahra here, as soon as Balmung decides to open again! Go coeurls!

"Due to their proximity and the harshness of the environment they have carved their villages out of, the Coeurl have developed highly subtle forms of silent and near-silent communication using facial expressions, ear placement, and tail and hand motions. They use this form of communication amongst each other and to recognize one another while out in the world at large. As this is their default form of communication, when Coeurl tribe members are in society at large they are often regarded as somewhat twitchy. "

Is someone a Kingkiller Chronicle fan? ;)

*laughs* No, I'd never heard of it actually!  Happily adding you folks to friends once ya'll get in game, give me a wave if you see me on the grid!

Weeeell, Koyu is the exact opposite of being a part of the 'C' tribe. He got kicked out of it! Essentially, he's got Narcolepsy and couldn't actually finish anything useful, failing his hunt, thus they sent him out. SO, I won't be part of the niche, but you're free to pick on him if you see him!

Hehe, I'm obviously part of the Coeurl Tribe. While I already have a pretty firm headcanon for what my character's offshoot of the tribe is like, I'll definitely have to give your article a read (probably won't happen until after beta 4 closes). Do feel free to add me on your friend list in-game, though! I play C'io Behkt, :).

Since this isn't the meant to be the canon for the tribe, maybe you could ask the wiki operators for a kind of tag to put at the top of it with that as an explicit disclaimer. I could not find the information that this was merely a portion of the Coeurl whole when skimming the article, so that's my big nitpick atm.

Nice to see more Coeurl around!

Since this isn't the meant to be the canon for the tribe, maybe you could ask the wiki operators for a kind of tag to put at the top of it with that as an explicit disclaimer. I could not find the information that this was merely a portion of the Coeurl whole when skimming the article, so that's my big nitpick atm.

I agree with this. I actually happened across the article before I did this thread and I was really confused as to whether it was something for a guild, actual lore, or whatever may have you. Now I know better, but someone may accidentally take it for something unintended without ever seeing this thread.

In any case, I thought it was interesting to say the least! It's decently written (which is why I wasn't completely sure if it was player-created or not at first). It would be really neat to see someone RPing a branch of the Coeurl tribe with those aesthetics.

My general rule of thumb, since the wiki doesn't (currently) have any "Player Lore" or "Fanon" categories or tag templates, is to assume everything in the "Literature" section of the wiki is player-created lore unless its has exact citations in it.

That said, yes, we need some sort of disclaimer tag template, and yes, it would probably be a good idea in the first sentence of the target for it to say, "This article discusses a particular offshoot of the Coeurl tribe". Part of not stepping on others' toes with player-created information is making sure to make clear that you're not asserting things about others.

I can write the aforementioned tag template. I just can't do it right this minute. :)

I can write the aforementioned tag template. I just can't do it right this minute. :)

Which is perfectly understandable! Even I'm only here briefly on my way back into the game, hehe. The tag seemed like a good idea overall with good general application (since literature category status is also only visible at the very bottom), so I wanted to suggest it for that reason also, :).

Thanks for taking the time (later) to write that up!

Apologies for the confusion!  I'll put a note at the beginning of the article.  The info's there, it's kind of buried at the end of the first paragraph at top of the page (can't remember the wording exactly but it's along the lines of 'three villages appear to be the oldest and will be the focus of this article/study' or something like that.  I'll make it more clear! :)

Thank you for the feedback!

If you want to use it, there's now a template for this: Template:Speculation. To use it, just type {{speculation}} at the top of the section or article to which it applies. I didn't stick a category tag in it since there is no category right now for this sort of thing, and there probably ought to be a community consensus on that.

The wording of the template is one I've used in the past for this sort of thing. I think it's pretty neutral, but of course, if anyone wants to adjust it, hey, it's a wiki. Be bold! :)