When did the gates to ishgard close?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we were ever given an exact date. My best educated guess is around 1557. So 20 years ago from where the ARR story starts.

I'm basing this date off of the fact that Nidhogg was last seen in 1557 after being injured by the Azure Dragoon, Ser Alberic. Lore then follows up by saying that after Nidhogg's return to slumber there has been a rise in the frequency of dragon attacks. Whole villages burnt to the ground etc. So somewhere in this time period the Archbishop decides to close off its gates to all but the Holy Knights of Ishguard. So probably anywhere in between 1557~1560 is a good time frame.

Hope this helps!

Again if anyone sources the actual year that Ishguard closed its gates that'd be great!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we were ever given an exact date. My best educated guess is around 1557. So 20 years ago from where the ARR story starts.

I'm basing this date off of the fact that Nidhogg was last seen in 1557 after being injured by the Azure Dragoon, Ser Alberic. Lore then follows up by saying that after Nidhogg's return to slumber there has been a rise in the frequency of dragon attacks. Whole villages burnt to the ground etc. So somewhere in this time period the Archbishop decides to close off its gates to all but the Holy Knights of Ishguard. So probably anywhere in between 1557~1560 is a good time frame.

Hope this helps!

Again if anyone sources the actual year that Ishguard closed its gates that'd be great!

Thank you that really helps :D ! while I do want to stick to lore I think if push comes to shove and I want my way I can make my guys story work.

Hope this helps!

I'll throw my hat in with that. 

They may have also closed it around the time that the Garleans began pushing into Eorzea over Silvertear, which happened around 1562 when Midardsormr and other dragons did battle with the Agrius. Maybe they closed their gates out of fear of invasion or perhaps they didn't want to get involved. Ishgard even refused to come to the aid of the Eorzean Alliance when the call was made, so it only defends the idea that they want no part in the happenings in the rest of the realm. Regardless, I'd put it somewhere in between 1557-1562. We'll likely find out come ARR though. :)