Sooo...Pokemon X/Y

I think I will stick to my time-tested favourites: Espeon, Poliwrath, Blaziken, Absol, and it's been so long I forget the rest.

That's not a bad spread though. I'm just sad when people who haven't played since, say, Red and Blue, just go on and on about how awful the new Pokemon are and only the original 150 are good. I'm not really upset. More like... dejected. Because I hate the fact there are elitists in Pokemon of all things.

I think I will stick to my time-tested favourites: Espeon, Poliwrath, Blaziken, Absol, and it's been so long I forget the rest.

That's not a bad spread though. I'm just sad when people who haven't played since, say, Red and Blue, just go on and on about how awful the new Pokemon are and only the original 150 are good. I'm not really upset. More like... dejected. Because I hate the fact there are elitists in Pokemon of all things.

Okay I have just one problem with that.. when they started making pokemon that were god damn snowflakes,trash and people who died long ago. Only problem with pokemon now ( I don't mind Mega evolution being a ripoff of digimon).. Pokemon back in the day were frickin' based on animals and mythical creatures. :S Otherwise I have NO beef with pokemon atm.

>_> I'm not even gonna bother making a team before hand just so I can witness the new pokemon out there.. I'll still choose Arcanite if I can get him.. He's my loyal friend.

I chose Y because.. It looks awesome and I'm not a fan of the purdy type pokemon.. Plus Luiga is AWESOME. Downside to Y is that they have a horsea relative that looks like it went out and did a TON of drugs. X for sure has better exclusive pokemon so far.. (Except the dragon charizard.. Looks dumb as heck... But its a dragon type.. Charizard got what he should have had since the beginning.) 

Btw. Everyone in here getting X and Y... We need to drag friend codes and just add each other and run into each other in the game and just have fun newbie battles. :D Inbox me with your friend codes.

Pokemon back in the day were frickin' based on animals and mythical creatures. :S Otherwise I have NO beef with pokemon atm.

Voltorb.gifmagnemite.gifMuk.gifmrmime.gif

And that's why the 'Pokemon designs are getting worse' argument is dumb. There were always inanimate objects, or non-objects in muk's case. Some are good, some are bad, as it has always been.

I admit I hated the dorky looking Ice Cream Pokemon too, until I got stuck with it. After playing with him for a while he grew on me. Even 'bad' designs have their own charm.

Agreed. Pokemon are practically anything and everything, and that's okay. It's just the sheer number of them that kind of makes my brain go:

cARauLRYX2g

Can anyone help me? Please? Anyone? I'm a MegaTen fan, I know the basis and understand the whole "Attack the Weakness for Maximum Damage" type bit. But I am going in blind.

I'm getting both Pokemon, mind you.

Do you just mean like, how types work? Because here's a handy little chart.

typechart.png

Of course there are also dual-type Pokemon, so weaknesses and resistances are reduces or doubled based on those. A Pokemon that is Water/Ground will take 4x as much damage from a grass type, instead of 2x. The same pokemon will be totally immune to electric attacks instead of weak against them because of the Ground typing.

Attacks have types as well, not just Pokemon. A Water-type Pokemon can use the Normal-type Headbutt or Ice-type Ice Beam. You do however get a Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) if your Pokemon's type is the same as its move.

Attacks are also modified by stats based on a division of 'Physical' or 'Special'. Physical corresponds to Defense while Special Attack corresponds to Special Defense. Most Pokemon are going to fit into one of four categories; Physical Attacker, Special Attacker, Physical Wall, or Special Wall. There's also some that are good at either, and are usually referred to as 'mixed sweepers'. That's really getting into more competitive jargon though.

There's also EVs, IVs, Natures, and Abilities that make each individual Pokemon unique. Essentially, if you catch two identical Pokemon, the same level, in the same place, they'll have different stats, and a different maximum cap of what those stats can be. For such a simple game, it's actually a rather complex math game under it all.

Really, the best way to play is just to find the ones you like best and play to their strengths.

Ampharos.full.1491150.jpg

This guy is one of my favorite Pokemon ever, and he has an amazing Special Attack stat. But he's slow, his typing isn't very strong, and his movepool isn't vast. I use him anyway because I like him. And also because one-shotting a DD Gyarados is funny as hell.

Agreed. Pokemon are practically anything and everything, and that's okay. It's just the sheer number of them that kind of makes my brain go:

cARauLRYX2g

How many pokemon: 700ish.

How many animal species exist in reality?: 8.7 million

I think 700 is fine.

...very good point.