New comprehensive FFXIV-ARR character & demographic multi-site survey

Neon

Hey everyone! I noticed and participated in a demographic & character survey for FFXIV:ARR on another site, and was thinking it would be great to combine them and also distribute across multiple fansites/beta forums to get a separate idea of the more generalized community. If you're not planning on playing Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, you can still participate and it will only be about 3 quick questions. 

Some benefits to this would be that you could see what fan sites are attracting their members/lurkers to what servers, what the community overlap is, and being able to directly apply demographic information to character information/server selection. I’ve also included questions like previous FFXI servers (if applicable) and some other things like that. Each person will get a maximum of 27 questions based on their responses. I was hoping to keep it to 25 or under, but I failed. So I’m sorry if it’s a bit long, but I like to think it goes by pretty quickly. I’m hoping to see some interesting statistics.

I’m working on posting across more fansites, but feel free to link your friends/other gaming forum communities to the survey! 

Here’s the google survey link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18NYZp9g0jk2EzW4yHooao3ZEzUTSlzFpWbj_Y0ZDgjM/viewform

And the results-only link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18NYZp9g0jk2EzW4yHooao3ZEzUTSlzFpWbj_Y0ZDgjM/viewanalytics

Yep! I'm hoping it gets enough responses from various niche fansites so when I do more detailed graphs combining questions (LGBTQ roleplayer server selection, time-zone server selection, guys who make girl characters, etc.) they'll be more meaningful. Feel free to suggest anything you'd like to see that the default results don't show. :D

Very nice survey and covers many different grounds.

It seems almost ever poll I've seen from various sites Gilgamesh ends up with a colossal player count vs other servers . Gonna be one super packed server.

I'm shocked to see PvP so low compared to PvE also, but then again FF14 is attracting a lot of FF11/FF14 1.0 players where PvP wasn't a big focal point.

Most shocking to me is Bard isn't dead last in this poll (yet). :love: !!!

Do my eyes deceive me? So far most people are going to be playing a white mage? That is unheard of in MMOs, no more shouting for healers :D.

In mother Final Fantasy, white mage shouts for you.

I was on the fence between tank and healer, and that unicorn mount for WHM pushed me towards healer when I filled out the survey.

I would have thought there'd be more women playing; in my own experience, I know almost as many women as men who enjoy the Final Fantasy series, but I am not your typical gamer so my experience is probably skewed.

This game needs more female gamers on board. How do we get more women playing games? Do we need more sexy male gamers to attract the ladies? Free candy? Twilight references? Tell me! Lol

Are there any lady gamers type sites you can advertise on? I'm sure lots of them would be interested in playing a FF mmo.

This game needs more female gamers on board. How do we get more women playing games? Do we need more sexy male gamers to attract the ladies? Free candy? Twilight references? Tell me! Lol

Are there any lady gamers type sites you can advertise on? I'm sure lots of them would be interested in playing a FF mmo.

There is a female gamer reddit site, but as I jovially suggested, I'd need to know what aspects of the game, if any, would appeal to them. Also, I gave up graphic design for software engineering, so I think I'll pass on trying to make ads. To be honest, the numbers we have on the survey might be a little bit lower than what we'll see in game, since it is possible that some female gamers might not really consider themselves as such and thus wouldn't regularly visit gaming sites.

Edit: Actually, maybe it is due to the old stigma of video games being considered a guy thing? I know it's old, but the demographic for this game is mostly in their 20's, so many of them grew up in the 90's where we did have that stigma.

There is a female gamer reddit site, but as I jovially suggested, I'd need to know what aspects of the game, if any, would appeal to them. Also, I gave up graphic design for software engineering, so I think I'll pass on trying to make ads. To be honest, the numbers we have on the survey might be a little bit lower than what we'll see in game, since it is possible that some female gamers might not really consider themselves as such and thus wouldn't regularly visit gaming sites.

Edit: Actually, maybe it is due to the old stigma of video games being considered a guy thing? I know it's old, but the demographic for this game is mostly in their 20's, so many of them grew up in the 90's where we did have that stigma.

Actually, something like 40 percent of gamers are women; we just often play "casual" games and/or keep quiet to avoid sexual harassment.  In my opinion, what will attract women is building our reputation as a mature community welcoming to everyone.  Not just women, but parents, people of color, older gamers, LGBT gamers, etc--those who aren't the "stereotypical" gamer.

One thing men could do to help is to speak out against sexual harassment and other offensive comments.  That's something I appreciate about the Guild Wars 2 community; for every racist or sexist comment someone says in /map chat, three other people tell him to STFU.  I also appreciate it when people don't make a big deal about my gender.  When I get on Mumble and folks say, "oh it's nice girls are playing the game" they mean well, but don't need to draw attention to my gender to make me feel welcome, you know?

Basically, if I have a good time and feel welcome (but not put on a pedestal), I'll tell my friends to play and post on sites/blogs for female gamers telling them I've had a good time on FFXIV.

Some of the other things that will attract women are on SE through advertising.  They don't need to say "hey girls you'll love this game!" but just generally show various type of characters you can play.  I do appreciate that the armor that is skimpy on female characters is skimpy on male characters too (yay subligars!).  Some dancing male miqo'te in Ul'dah would be nice.