Well... not all of us can be pretty

uglyparade

Hi everyone, I'm looking forward to meeting many of you! Thanks in advance for reading all the crap I'm about to post.

--MMORPG background

Sadly, I don't have a ton. I've played a little bit of Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 (not sure if that even counts?). My biggest problem has been that I usually don't spend a set amount of time on a game every day, which made it really hard for me to meet people. That, and I don't have a ton of friends who share this interest with me.

--RP experience

I have a little more background in this than MMOs in general, but maybe not to the extent many of you have. I have been part of more text-based RPs but it was more of us writing 1000+ word chapters than it was interacting with other folks. I actually enjoyed the experience a lot and met some cool people through that avenue. I'm hoping this is a lot like that in terms of community, if not in execution.

--Character ideas/info

I think I'll have a better idea of this once I see this posted and am forced to go through with it. I'm planning on playing a Highlander who was adopted by a Midlander couple through a string of somewhat unfortunate events. My character will be "adventuring" as an excuse to get away from all the ass-hat Midland kids he grew up with. I'm planning on having his attitude be mostly lackadaisical with the exception of when he has to deal with his Midland brethren.

--How did you learn about the coalition?

One of the first things I ever did online was join a Final Fantasy forum (back in the day). I figured I'd get myself involved in that again and stumbled upon this little gem.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

Honestly, I'm going to go with light. I'm pretty serious when writing a compelling story, but I like to talk OOC way too often to be considered anything more than that. I also don't want to have my advancement in the actual game stalled due to me being in character. RPing for me is more of an extra thing I can do in my free time when I'm not in a hurry to get things done. Sorry if this isn't the place for that.

--Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

I work in advertising and like to play volleyball, basketball, and football (American). Obviously, I'm into video games as well, but I guess you could say I'm kind of closeted. Many of my friends are of the mindset of "Don't talk about that 'nerd shit' to me", so there's that--haha.

I live on the east coast (US), and will probably be on mostly later on in the days. Again, I'm excited to hopefully meet many of you!

Welcome~! 

And nooooo, embrace the inner nerd! Besides, it's like, 2013. Nerd is a compliment now compared to the 90s.

I think you'll find that a lot of RPers share that mindset. A lot of us tend to be OOC way more than IC. Bouncing around cities and just chatting about nothing, and then we pivot and write up some masterpiece story that squeezes hearts and sears wounds.

...Don't look at me, I can't write for crap. :sleepy:

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a couple of questions regarding RPing here. How often do people update the stories of their characters? And do you write the stories after they have occurred in-game, or do you write them out and then act upon them while you play? I also saw that you guys have RP mentors here as well--do I have to RP a certain amount in order to qualify as a mentee?

I'm sure this is all posted somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance!