Questions from an RP Nub

Edda

Well, now that I get to have convenient break from power-leveling thanks to good ol' Error 3102, I figured now would be chance to ask the RP vets on this site a few very entry-level questions. I've been doing a lot of reading up on the do's and don'ts of RP, but I'm still kind of unsure as to what RP um... looks like. Like, in-game. ...Okay, I'm getting kind of embarrassed just from writing this so I'm just going to list my questions and go drink a bottle of wine.

1. What chat channels do most RPers constantly use? Say/Party/Tell? Or do most people switch it up depending on where they are and/or who they are with?

2. How are custom emotes used? Are they used to express a simple action (i.e.: Nald'thal looks down upon Uldah.), or do people tend to be more wordy and reveal inner thoughts (i.e.: Nald'thal looks down upon Uldah, wondering where all the puny people went. Surely the city was full just moments ago!)?

3. Exactly how often are emotes used? Are they more scarce in a simple conversation between friends, and seen more in like, a scene... or something?

4. Is it commonplace for RP to be planned, or is 'freestyle' RP more popular?

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with? :lol:

(Optional) 6. Does your character prefer sweet, sour or spicy food?

This KINDA turned into a rant. I APOLOGIZE. - BE WARNED, HIGHLY OPINIONATED. Dun yell at me.

1. Ranges from person to person, but normally in public RP it's kept to Say and emotes (/em), which allows other people to join in. However if the location is suuper crowded, be it with other RPers or just random people, some people go into party chat, or tells (If it's 1 on 1). Again, it ranges from person to person. I for one, try to keep most, if not -all- my RP to Say and Emote, due to the aspect of having other people join in. 

2. Usually Custom emotes are used to depict an action, and most RPers draw it out with flowery words (More description = Paints a prettier picture). As for thoughts, it depends on RP style really. Personal preference and what not. Some people will say their thoughts, while others (Myself included) hold back on the thoughts, because the other person can't read minds! However, sometimes people incorperate thoughts into action. For example: "Koyu's eyes lull and glance elsewhere, oozing with his express lack of interest in the topic at hand."  - The thought is incorperated with the action. Yet it's not like saying; "Koyu eyes the nearby plant. Oh how he hates plants, so so much." - The emote itself never actually says he even remotely looks like he hates plants. To the other person, he's just staring at it. LONG STORY SHORT: Ranges from person to person, but usually emotes are used to express actions with looong winded descriptions. Emotes drag on for paragraphs sometimes.

3. Again, depends on the RPer. Some people (Meee) use emotes nearly for everything, because it allows you the freedom of movement and action, adding more 'life' to the character. RP is about painting a picture with words, if I walk up and say "Hey.. Nice to see you again." - Well dats dat, but you can take it so much further and add so many layers of action with emotes. Example; (I'll make it short I promise) "Koyu elevates a palm to gently rest upon the crux of his shoulder. Rolling it within the confines of it's socket before tilting his skull off to a minute angle. Tossing a lethargic brow skywards. "Hey.... Nice to see you again."

SEE WHAT YOU CAN CREATE?! OH IT'S GLORIO-  Moving on.

4. Once more, depends on the person. Usually people who are part of Free Companies and Linkshells stick to formulated, and planned meetings and events. However, during the free time between them they'll ring up their friends and meet and 'freestyle' if you will. People without those connections, tend to constantly freestyle. Wandering around the areas and cities, searching for the bait to grab at the end of the hook so they can 'freestyle' RP, sometimes with people they've never seen or met!

5. Random walk ups! Walk around and search for those RPers. Or, if you're too shy (I know them feels) wait until you see an event. I know Gilgamesh is having an event.. Tomorrow I think? In Gridania, and on the 31st there's a big event on Balmung! And events are great for meeting new people and making those connections for more RP. And once you start making connections, all it takes is to seek out those people and hunt them down. 

6. BLAND, but probably sweet the most. 

AGAIN, Apologies for the ranting and highly opinionated synopsis!

I don't believe there are wrong answers here, just preferences so

I'll share my view;

1. What chat channels do most RPers constantly use? Say/Party/Tell? Or do most people switch it up depending on where they are and/or who they are with?

I kinda just use was makes sense. I like to be mindful of the /say channel, if it's seeing a lot of non RP traffic, then I would use a private chat. Other than that, use what is convenient.

2. How are custom emotes used? Are they used to express a simple action (i.e.: Nald'thal looks down upon Uldah.), or do people tend to be more wordy and reveal inner thoughts (i.e.: Nald'thal looks down upon Uldah, wondering where all the puny people went. Surely the city was full just moments ago!)?

This depends on your style. An introvert (writer or avatar) will need more description. Scene set-up might need a touch of elaboration to start. Personally, I keep stuff that isn't directly about my character short.

3. Exactly how often are emotes used? Are they more scarce in a simple conversation between friends, and seen more in like, a scene... or something?

Similar to #2. If it works, do it. Depends on you. For instance, say your character is a person of few words, it would make sense to use emotes and descriptions more. Also once you know someone well you might use emotes less as they'll be able to respond to your personality because they "know" you.

Usually I only plan big deal things. And even then just the "bullet points". The fun is getting there in ways you didn't anticipate but everyone is different.

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with? laugh.gif

Right here. lol Or just walk up to someone in game. (you know, after you've been stalking them for a while.

Desmond grew up in Ul'Dah so he's all about the spices. (I'm calling Ul'Dah as having spicy food btw  :P )

I'm pretty much a noob to FFXIV myself, so I can only give you generalized answers based on the multitude of MMOs I've RPed in. Ahem.

Say is for your general open world RP. Taverns, hanging out on the side of the street, and all that. Party is both for private RP and when you may not always be in range, so as not to leave anyone out, which I assume in this game is made possible with linkpearls. Tells are for conversations between two people via the linkpearls, of course.

Linkshells, this game's equivalent of custom chat channels, can be IC. They're either set in a specific area, such as a tavern, or as a sort of global communications network for people to chat while they're in their respective corners of Eorzea.

Ah, well, I haven't actually gotten around to that figuring out exactly how they're used. /Emote or /em should do the trick, since that's pretty much the industry standard. But speaking from experience, you should do what you're comfortable with. When I'm lazy, I'll just use it for the occasional smirk or chuckle, but I'm also just as likely to be verbose.

Use them whenever and however you want. If your character's not particularly animated, don't worry about it. Just smile at the appropriate parts and have them look toward the person they're speaking to. That sorta thing.

It goes either way honestly. You can look through people's profiles in the directories to see which way they swing on styles of RP.

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with?

Your best bet is to take a look at the Free Companies and Linkshells in the appropriate category, and find one (or more) that fits. They'll help you ease your way into the RP. As you get more comfortable, you'll know where to go to get your RP fix.

That would require me to pick a character. I'm still working on that.

Let me toss in my two gil. :)

In my experience, RPers are typically always, or almost always, IC in /say. Beyond that, it varies. I'm IC in party and tell unless otherwise marked -- and in tell, I always specify how it's IC (*whispered*, *via linkpearl*, etc.).

Linkshell and Free Company channels can be IC or OOC at the discretion of the group. Mysterium's IC channel is an LS; once we get the FC formed, we'll transition our OOC channel (which is also an LS) to FC chat. Other groups take different approaches to this.

You'll get a variety of opinions on this. I personally don't put thoughts in emotes, since other characters aren't psychic and have no way of knowing my character's thoughts or reacting to them without metagaming. I often combine emotes with text, rather than putting the speech and the emote on separate lines; it's just a more natural style for me, having come originally (long ago) from MUSHes where that's standard procedure.

Constantly! :) Emotes are a key way to express your character outside of what they say. A wink, a nudge, a smile, a smirk, or even a raspberry add a great deal of depth and subtext to RP.

This (of course) varies from person to person. Some people prefer planned events and storylines. Others prefer their RP to happen spontaneously. It's not uncommon for LSs and FCs to plan events, but leave what happens at them to the discretion of the players and their RP. Likewise, it's not uncommon for players to plan OOC to RP with one or more people at a particular time (even if it's just as simple as, "hey, let's meet up at a tavern"), but leave the content completely unplanned.

Fully planned RP, where the end result and possibly some of the parts played and actions taken are planned out in advance among players, is quite rare in my experience and usually done (or, at least, should be done) in private.

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with? :lol:

Might I recommend the RPC mentor program? In addition to picking a mentor, all of us mentors are open to being grabbed for random RP. Friend us and poke us if you want to meet, or just strike up a conversation if you see us in the world!

You can also often identify an RPer by their use of walking. It's sort of an implicit signal that someone's IC and open for RP. Starting a conversation here is a bit trickier (since you're basically talking to some random person on the street :) ), but it's a viable option. Perhaps you need directions, or perhaps you think they're wearing a cute outfit?

Finally, you can connect with an LS or FC that fits your concept. They'll bring you into RP quite effectively.

L'yhta's a huge fan of sweets, as evidenced by her ever-present bag of candied fruits. :)

As several people here have already mentioned, many of these answers can vary a bit. Here are some suggestions to consider when starting out.

As a beginner Say and Emote should be your best friends. Most RPers use them as their default in character chat, and RPing in /Say gives any nearby RPer's a chance to respond.

Tell on the other hand is very situational. It's most frequent IC use is when your character is whispering to someone nearby. However as a beginner, I found it far more useful for OOC questions which should be double bracketed ((like so)).

The use of party chat for RP is typically reserved for scheduled events among an established RP group. It allows players to set up an elaborate scene with no interruptions, but prevents other Rpers from joining. So you will probably not see much of this at first.  :)

The length of your emotes varies from person to person, although it is generally considered best to avoid thoughts whenever possible due to the 'mind reading conundrum'. One good use for emotes is to describe any notable things about your character that can't be seen on your avatar.

For example... /em greets the group, with a soft "Hello", speaking with a slight tribal accent. 

Or.... /em looks down upon Uldah, with her dusty clothes bearing the signs of long travel.

This is situational again. When RPing with a one or two other characters, it is generally best to include lots of emotes, which are typically tied in with the converation like my first example above. Some people will throw in an emote every two or three sentences, while others will use nothing but emotes which can grow up to a paragraph in length. As a beginner, it may seem very hard to keep up at first. So just try to use them as often as you can.

In larger groups you will see people leaning more towards simple Say and the occasional short emote, which helps keep things easier to follow. If you find yourself in this situation, as a new RPer it can be daunting at first but also a great chance to watch and learn. One strategy is not to participate in the conversation, and instead take your time formulating a few emotes to describe your character and their reactions to whatever has been said (facial expression, shaking their head, ect..). This gives you more time to think, and also more time to observe. :thumbsup:

The extent of planning for most RPers is "we will meet here at x time and grab a drink/kill some pesky fungar/practice sparring ect... " Some FCs or Linkshells will hold more focused events, with one party member setting up a challenge for the group similar to DnD (this is usually where Party chat is used). In general it is important to have some ideas and direction for your character, but to wait until RP brings them out naturally. At it's heart RP is all about improvisation and flexibility.

Random RP is a term generally used to refer to RP that takes place when your character meets a stranger on the road and strikes up a conversation. Most RPers love this although some can be wary. If in doubt use Tell to ask the player if they are IC and open to some quick RP.

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with? laugh.gif

Linkshells, FC's and the mentorship program are all excellent options. A mentorship in particular can help you to develop your character and decide which sort of FC or linkshell is best for them. Random RP is another good way to get started. The best way to identify a RPer is by their clothes (generally matching and sometimes low level), a character who is walking around is another dead giveaway. A quick OOC Tell is usually the best way to start, point out that you're new, ask if they want to RP, and then have some fun. :lol:  If you happen to stumble upon RP in progress, take a moment to formulate your first emote. It should give a basic impression of your character, and include some things of note for others to respond to.

/em walks over and smiles at everyone.

Is not nearly as interesting as.... / em walks over with her brown head bent seriously over a city map. Clearly absorbed, she blunders into the center of the small group, before looking up with a weak smile.

However being interesting is not the same as stealing the show. So try to avoid... /em walks into the center of the group, with a pained smile and collapses to the roadway. Blood oozes from multiple lacerations and she appears on the brink of death.

Klinzahr like a true old salt loves her sour pickles. Cucumbers, eggs, herring, cabbage, if it's pickled she'll enjoy it.

Let me toss in my two gil. :)

In my experience, RPers are typically always, or almost always, IC in /say. Beyond that, it varies. I'm IC in party and tell unless otherwise marked -- and in tell, I always specify how it's IC (*whispered*, *via linkpearl*, etc.).

Linkshell and Free Company channels can be IC or OOC at the discretion of the group. Mysterium's IC channel is an LS; once we get the FC formed, we'll transition our OOC channel (which is also an LS) to FC chat. Other groups take different approaches to this.

You'll get a variety of opinions on this. I personally don't put thoughts in emotes, since other characters aren't psychic and have no way of knowing my character's thoughts or reacting to them without metagaming. I often combine emotes with text, rather than putting the speech and the emote on separate lines; it's just a more natural style for me, having come originally (long ago) from MUSHes where that's standard procedure.

Constantly! :) Emotes are a key way to express your character outside of what they say. A wink, a nudge, a smile, a smirk, or even a raspberry add a great deal of depth and subtext to RP.

This (of course) varies from person to person. Some people prefer planned events and storylines. Others prefer their RP to happen spontaneously. It's not uncommon for LSs and FCs to plan events, but leave what happens at them to the discretion of the players and their RP. Likewise, it's not uncommon for players to plan OOC to RP with one or more people at a particular time (even if it's just as simple as, "hey, let's meet up at a tavern"), but leave the content completely unplanned.

Fully planned RP, where the end result and possibly some of the parts played and actions taken are planned out in advance among players, is quite rare in my experience and usually done (or, at least, should be done) in private.

Might I recommend the RPC mentor program? In addition to picking a mentor, all of us mentors are open to being grabbed for random RP. Friend us and poke us if you want to meet, or just strike up a conversation if you see us in the world!

You can also often identify an RPer by their use of walking. It's sort of an implicit signal that someone's IC and open for RP. Starting a conversation here is a bit trickier (since you're basically talking to some random person on the street :) ), but it's a viable option. Perhaps you need directions, or perhaps you think they're wearing a cute outfit?

Finally, you can connect with an LS or FC that fits your concept. They'll bring you into RP quite effectively.

L'yhta's a huge fan of sweets, as evidenced by her ever-present bag of candied fruits. :)

Ah Freelance answered? Well hell I have nothing to add then, lol

Honestly you couldn't ask for a better mentor. Freelance is the Rolls Royce of rpers and of rp etiquette, like seriously.

Reading the responses here, I've got a question of my own. I'm used to rather fast paced RP. If I spend time typing a long emote, it will often be superseded by someone else's actions or not even noticed at all in the flurry of speech scrolling past. My emotes therefore tend to be less detailed and to the point, instead using dialogue to bring life to my characters. However, this doesn't seem to be the case with many people here on the RPC.

Should I try to use more detailed emotes in this game? I'm rather out of practise to be honest after years of keeping them short and sweet but I don't want anyone to write me off as "less of an RPer" because I don't do lengthy emotes. Not that I think most people from the RPC will do that of course, as you all seem quite friendly and open, but it's an attitude I've come across from some RPers in other games before.

Reading the responses here, I've got a question of my own. I'm used to rather fast paced RP. If I spend time typing a long emote, it will often be superseded by someone else's actions or not even noticed at all in the flurry of speech scrolling past. My emotes therefore tend to be less detailed and to the point, instead using dialogue to bring life to my characters. However, this doesn't seem to be the case with many people here on the RPC.

Should I try to use more detailed emotes in this game? I'm rather out of practise to be honest after years of keeping them short and sweet but I don't want anyone to write me off as "less of an RPer" because I don't do lengthy emotes. Not that I think most people from the RPC will do that of course, as you all seem quite friendly and open, but it's an attitude I've come across from some RPers in other games before.

I think it's more of a 'situation calls for' thing. I tend to favour long winded emotes, but if it's a fast paced back and forth, I'll stick to shorter responces to keep up with the flow. That said, I'm also a rather fast typer, so usually I can push out a paragraph before people can push out a sentence. 

I'd say stick to what you're comfortable with! No one is going to think of you as 'less of an RPer' it's all about quality, not quantity.... I just try to execute both. I'M SO GREEDY~

Ah Freelance answered? Well hell I have nothing to add then, lol

Honestly you couldn't ask for a better mentor. Freelance is the Rolls Royce of rpers and of rp etiquette, like seriously.

Geez, you're inflating my ego. :blush:

I'd just go with what you prefer. A good RPer isn't going to take offense or write someone off because their emote style differs -- in much the same way that one wouldn't write someone off because they're a poor speller, a slow typist, or an inept grammarian. Basically, someone who would assume you're a poor or less capable RPer based on your style of emote is a jerk and a bad RPer, and you wouldn't want to play with them anyway. :)

That said, yes, if the action is flying fast and furious, I'll usually switch to a "quicker" emote style using standard emotes in between short lines of text. I usually use this style at events where there's a lot of participants to keep the scene moving quickly.

Wow, these are some very helpful replies... Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate it, I'm getting a much better idea of what to do now. I still have a few more questions if you guys don't mind! m(_ _)m

1. What's the best way to respond if someone meta-games?

2. For planned RP sessions, I've seen some of you said they're usually just simple "Let's go x and do y," but how exactly are more storyline RP scenes planned out?

3. This isn't so much my concern, but something I would like some clarification on. If someone plays a character who is inept at combat, are they likely to purposely perform poorly in-game? I've heard stories about this happening, but I always figured it was a rare thing. Thoughts?

4. How are spells like Raise and the like treated in RP? This is a pretty broad question I know, but if someone's character gets K.O.'d in like RP combat, I wouldn't want to do something that's immersion breaking and ruins it for someone. :cry:

(Optional) 5. What is your characters sleeping posture like?

Wow, these are some very helpful replies... Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate it, I'm getting a much better idea of what to do now. I still have a few more questions if you guys don't mind! m(_ _)m

2. For planned RP sessions, I've seen some of you said they're usually just simple "Let's go x and do y," but how exactly are more storyline RP scenes planned out?

3. This isn't so much my concern, but something I would like some clarification on. If someone plays a character who is inept at combat, are they likely to purposely perform poorly in-game? I've heard stories about this happening, but I always figured it was a rare thing. Thoughts?

4. How are spells like Raise and the like treated in RP? This is a pretty broad question I know, but if someone's character gets K.O.'d in like RP combat, I wouldn't want to do something that's immersion breaking and ruins it for someone. :cry:

1. Uhhmm, difficult to say... Usually because I'm a doormat of a person I let them get away with it, because I don't really care. Unless it's something -big- then I'll probably poke them about it.

2. Storyline RP scenes are usually the exact same thing. The great thing about RP is you have a -direction- not a goal. So you essentially conjure an idea, toss it around to the people involved, and then run with it. If you plan out everything, (Especially the ending) WELL, I say you might as well go write a book.

3. Unsure of what you mean... If someone is ICly 'bad' at fighting, will they be purposefully be 'bad' at fighting OOCly? That's... totally up to the player, but I don't see the point of crossing the streams. I can be a badass lancer OOCly and be a horrible Conjurer ICly if I wish. (I could totally be reading the question wrong, I apologize!)

4. Now that, is a hard one. This ranges from person to person, some people view 'Resurrection' as taboo in RP. Even if we -can- do it with the game's mechanics, it seems silly to just bring someone back from the dead, That would make ALL the wars in lore pointless as well as all IC battles. However, in my opinion it should be avoided at all costs, and I never do it (Mainly because I never get into situations where my character dies!) But if you must, or want to. I'd say, take a penalty for it to make it a bit more impactful. Maybe, the person casting Raise is completely drained for a week and has to recover!

5. Standing up... Don't ask.

It kinda depends on the severity, I suppose. If it's minor, you can attempt to correct them in a tell OOCly. It could be they're just a new RPer, they're tired and made a mistake, or something along those lines. If that doesn't work, or if they're doing it intentionally/can't be reasoned with, you're probably left with just accepting it.

Storylines are can be planned out in advance by saying making an outline for people to follow. It gives some reasonable room to maneuver within those bounds but with certain plot lines to adhere to, and quite likely a predetermined ending.

But there are less strict ways to do it, such as simply giving people a place to start and seeing where they go with it. Like GMing a tabletop game, you just have to change things to suit the actions of the players participating in your SL.

Eh... I couldn't see that happening. It's one thing to say they're a mage and can't fight worth a damn, but it's another to say they're useless in combat altogether. The character would only exist for RP in taverns and such, since nobody would ever invite them on proper parties since they'd end up bringing the team down.

Raise and such are, to my knowledge, recognized IC. I think Freelance mentioned once that Raise and such are a good way to explain fighting the same mob over and over again, "Who keeps Raising this guy anyway?"

I figure that so long as your character "dies" in combat, you can RP that he/she's been Raised and everyone accepts it in-character.

Again, too many alts.

In response, I have another wall of text for you. :)

There's a whole bunch of options here depending on how invested you are in the RP. For minor things -- knowing your name before being introduced, identifying your class when you've no visible indication of it, and the like -- my recommendation is to come up with an IC way they could have known that and roll with it. These sorts of minor infractions usually come from newer RPers and aren't really worth a great deal of concern. If you like, at the end of the scene, you might send the player a tell OOC thanking them for the RP and commenting that, as a bit of advice, they may want to avoid taking that sort of OOC knowledge IC.

For more serious infractions -- such as knowing private background information off your wiki page or your 100 Questions, for instance -- I think the best first step is to immediately send the player a tell OOC and, being friendly (naturally), ask them how they came across that information ICly. If you don't really mind them knowing it, you can offer some IC options by which they could have come across it, but make it clear that you'd prefer they find that information out ICly in the future. If it bothers you, or if you want to draw a line in the sand, you can offer a quick retcon of that part of the scene. That's one of the reasons why you have to react quickly; it's a lot easier for someone to say, "Okay, ignore that last thing I said," than to say, "Okay, ignore that whole last conversation we had."

If the player ends up being belligerent about it, or if the infraction is egregious (such as the player writing themselves into your background or knowing a deep secret of yours), just walk away. You always have the option of taking your ball and going home, so to speak. Respectfully tell the player OOCly why you're doing this, then inform them that you don't feel comfortable continuing the scene. If you and the other player share an IC LS or FC, you should also let the leadership know what happened; many such groups have policies about metagaming and may want to have a word with the player in question, especially if they're being awful about it.

This varies from person to person and from group to group. Some groups like to have a sequence of "closed" (i.e., not open to other RPers) scenes planned out, including how the scene is "supposed" to flow. Other groups prefer to have some major events and endgames in mind, then let the story build as players react to that event. I prefer this latter, "LARP-like" style as it gives players more freedom and lets players involve themselves with the story as desired.

I think this is an urban legend. :) I hear non-RPers throw this out from time to time, but I've never seen any evidence of it in my many years RPing in MMOs.

What heavy RPers will typically do if their character is inept in a particular area -- let's say combat -- is to not level their character in that area, or never demonstrate faculty in that area ICly. L'yhta, for instance, has all the melee prowess of a wet noodle right now, so she's not going to have any levels in those classes and, being aware of her lack of ability, won't go out looking for trouble as a melee class. Some people who are OOCly playing non-combatants or characters without the Echo are going to just not do combat content ICly.

In the end, there's commitment to your character, and there's friendliness and care for fellow players. Since level is a proxy for ability, being low level in something your character's not good at but still playing that to the best of your ability OOCly is a fair way to represent someone who's not accomplished in that Discipline while not being a jerk to your fellow players. :)

In game, Raise and its ilk are described as restoring a person from unconsciousness. So, we can assume that when a character keels over, they're knocked out (and probably quite injured); Raise spells rouse them and heal many of their injuries. In IC PvE content, people pretty much have to assume that's how these work unless they want to spend hours on medical treatment RP instead of completing the content. :)

There's a few threads on these forums where people have discussed how healing magic can be handled in a world where medical treatments (alchemical and otherwise) exist in lore; Medicine in Eorzea is the most recent one. To sum up my stance on it, healing works however the players involved want it to work, with the proviso that neither side should godmode. That means the recipient of healing shouldn't refuse to allow magical healing to have any effect, but neither should the provider of healing assume that magical healing is a perfect solution without the consent of the person being healed.

L'yhta usually sleeps on her stomach, sprawled out. Sometimes -- when she's worried about something or sad -- she'll curl up in a ball on her side, with her tail tucked between her legs.

I'm sure this has already been answered, but just for completions' sake, I always use /say or /em when roleplaying, unless I happen to be doing a scene that is supposed to be inside some private building (like a home, or a secret base, or whatever). Then I use /p. I am a huge proponent of keeping roleplay as public as possible, as much as possible.

I try to steer clear of explicitly stating a character's thoughts in an emote, as emotes are supposed to be providing information to other players that they would be able to glean from observing my character. Rather than stating what your character is thinking, try to describe their expression or body language in a way that would communicate - or not communicate (depending on how expressive the character is) - their thoughts/emotions.

3. Exactly how often are emotes used? Are they more scarce in a simple conversation between friends, and seen more in like, a scene... or something?

All the damn time! If there's RP going on, there are bound to be emotes!

4. Is it commonplace for RP to be planned, or is 'freestyle' RP more popular?

For me, it's a mix of the two. I might go into a scene with an idea of "Characters X, Y, and Z are meeting for _____" or whathaveyou, but I'm not going to be pre-planning the results for the most part. Other times it's pure free-form, such as in tavern RP or whatever.

5. How does one with a crippling sense of inadequacy find people to RP with? 

I can relate to this. It is difficult, but having supportive friends helps. :)

(Optional) 6. Does your character prefer sweet, sour or spicy food?

Antimony is shaping up to be a rather food-loving character (or at least, someone who enjoys creativity in their food), so probably a mix of all three!

1. What's the best way to respond if someone meta-games?

A gentle OOC reminder of what their character should or should not know about another character/situation/scene/whatever is appropriate. Depending on the information in question, it's possible to construct a soft excuse of sorts to explain away why/how their character learned what they did. For bigger things (such as very seekrit plot points that come to light OOCly but not ICly), it may be necessary to just pause the RP, rewind, and then pick up prior to the oopsie. A retcon, basically.

2. For planned RP sessions, I've seen some of you said they're usually just simple "Let's go x and do y," but how exactly are more storyline RP scenes planned out?

I've done kind of an insane amount of story in my TERA roleplay, but almost none of it was actually pre-planned. Most of the "planning" we did was meta discussions regarding certain mechanics we were playing with - OOC talks about the nature of the Dream, how mana works in bodies, what that other dimension that you travel through via waygates is actually like, the metaphysics behind souls, teleportation, blood magic and its capabilities and limitations, the finer points of building an evil magic construct and the consequences of dreaming that construct to life only to have its connection with the original body severed... and more! So basically, we talked a lot about the "world building" details surrounding the plot we developed, but not so much about "My character will do X and this character will react Y and blahblahblah".

3. This isn't so much my concern, but something I would like some clarification on. If someone plays a character who is inept at combat, are they likely to purposely perform poorly in-game? I've heard stories about this happening, but I always figured it was a rare thing. Thoughts?

Ah, this is especially relevant to me, as I tend to roleplay characters who are more "normal" in their abilities. I love the concept of an average civilian getting involved in things that are probably way over their head.

I'm also an avid end-game player, however, so I just divorce the concept of my character OOCly from what she/he is ICly. For Antimony, I wholly intend to level just about every class on her and will be entering into extremely competitive end game with her. But that's certainly not reflective of her IC abilities. While she has some magical aptitude, she is not a fighter by any means. I will very deliberately limit her capabilities if she ever gets involved in IC fights.

I would, of course, never do this when I was actually playing the game, though.

4. How are spells like Raise and the like treated in RP? This is a pretty broad question I know, but if someone's character gets K.O.'d in like RP combat, I wouldn't want to do something that's immersion breaking and ruins it for someone. 

Your character cannot die unless you say so. If you get K.O.'d in combat, it's best to play it off as simply grievously injured (or otherwise taken out - such as knocked unconscious). Spells like Raise are not really meant to bring people back from the dead - rather, they can bring people back from the brink of death.

5. What is your characters sleeping posture like?

Either on her side or on her back - she rolls about in her sleep quite a lot.

As others have expressed there isn't really any Good or Bad answer. However there are certainly General Tendencies, which you can determine for yourself by reading on people's personal answers.

Here's mine!

Say is nearly always In Character. Party and Tell can both be used for more private conversations (more likely Party, considering the game's default channel thing and the annoyingly high mistell chance). However Party is rarely used IC during dungeon runs, unless all party members are RPers and want to do the run in character.

In any case, linkpearls allow for lore-friendly long-distance in-character communication, unlike most other fantasy MMO's.

Most people frown upon revealing direct inner thoughts on RP, advising instead the use of facial expressions and other behaviors to let other players figure out by themselves what the character is thinking.

(Warning:, getting wordy here, feel free to skip)

There are two schools of thought about what Role-playing really is.

A) Role-playing is acting. This means that RP, even using a read/write medium such as a MMO or even a RP chatroom, should only use spoken words and visible actions and expressions, rationalizing that unless one is a telepath, it's impossible to know another character's actual thoughts. Of course, if a character *is* a telepath, the player can always ask in Tells for those thoughts. ;)

B) Role-playing is writing a story. When you write a story, it's customary to give a character's thoughts to the reader, whether it's written in 3rd or 1st person. In RP, that means doing exactly the 2nd example you gave above.

The majority of people seem to be in group A. I am in group B and have always found it difficult to adapt (but I'm getting there). don't let anyone tell you that either is wrong. They're both perfectly fine and anyone trying to "teach" you otherwise is simply believing a bit too hard in their own way.

Still, it pays to adapt to the majority to avoid conflict.

That said, many in group A (in my experience, anyway) agree that revealing inner thoughts can be sometimes appropriate in a small, private RP, like between two people whose characters know each other well.

I have no idea. Personally, I use some of them like wave and greet and laugh and such whenever they feel appropriate, without abuse. After all, I spent at least 5 minutes picking the most fitting voice for my characters so I better /laugh every now and then to let people witness my clever choices. O_O

Again, no idea. I know both are done, but I don't know to what degree. What I can tell you is personally favor freestyle, but sometimes I plan for something to happen and simply let the how be discovered as I RP. And sometimes something else ends up happening!

You know, I wonder about that every time I get into a new MMO. ^^;

A few things I've tried....

- Get a Mentor

- Find a Linkshell or Free Company (whatever you do I highly recommend joining your chosen server's OOC Linkshell)

- Ask here!

- However difficult it seems to be and even if it seems like it would be strange, try joining into RP you might stumble upon in-game (I for one always had trouble with that...)

Azyria: sweet or sour, depends

Agata: spicy

Helena: not picky

Jeanette: skillfully cooked

PART DEUX

If it's disruptive to your RP, politely ask how come their character know this or that, be prepared to either accept their answer (they might be meta-gaming after all!) or to politely tell them their character is not supposed to know.

I've once participated (but not planned myself such a RP scene. My understanding is it was prepared much like a D&D (or other such game) encounter. Basically, you get some kinda Game Master, the player organizing the scene who will act as the E in the PvE. The players simply play their roles and the GM guides them through the scene, playing the role of NPC's etc.

Another way to do it is to know the desired end result. For example, you get together to create a Free Company, but you want to RP out its creation. You know that whatever happens, the scene must ends with the FC's creation so there's a few guidelines to follow.

I've never done this myself, but there's (again) more than one way to do this. the two I know about are...

- Play as skillfully as you like but do OOCly and RP as being weak/inept/whatever. This means any fighting your character does is not canon.

- Simply don't level your War/Magic classes! It's not possible in every mmo, but in FF XIV, I don't see why someone couldn't have fun RPing and playing the game with nothing but one adventuring class at level 10 (since it's required) and the nothing but gathering and/or crafting classes.

4. How are spells like Raise and the like treated in RP? This is a pretty broad question I know, but if someone's character gets K.O.'d in like RP combat, I wouldn't want to do something that's immersion breaking and ruins it for someone. cry.gif

Depends on people. Personally, how I see this is as follows...

HP are called Hit Points as opposed to Life Points for a reason, Losing them doesn't mean you're dying. It could be you'Re simply getting knocked unconscious, possibly with your life at risk, possibly not. So a Cure or Raise spell simply brings you magically back in shape.

That would explain why some people die permanently when there's white mages with Raise spells around.

Another possibility is Raise is only efficient if the person died a short time ago, or any other such limitation.

Azyria: curled in a ball

Agata: sprawled out

Helena: partially curled, hugging her pillow

Jeanette: on her back, hands joined, looking almost like she's meditating peacefully