Something just doesn't feel right...

To start off I'd like to give thanks and a shout out to a miss L'yhta Mahre for helping me pick my name several weeks back. I never went back to the thread to thank you. 

I have decided on the name Umbr'a Bajihri for my Keeper of the Moon who resides in Gilgamesh, but now I'm having yet another problem my friends just can't seem to help me with so I turn to the only community I think will understand.

I want my character to feel apart of this story.

I started P4 as an Arcanist in Limsa Lominsa. I absolutely love Limsa and the Admiral so on and so forth. I love their emblems and grand company, but Keepers of the Moon are traditionally from Gridania. Now I know everyone says that it doesnt matter do what you want and craft your story around it. Truth is I dont know if I want to do what I want versus what I feel is right. I really want my guy to be traditional though it means fighting something I like. I like Limsa. I feel Gridania. 

Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Though amazing, I couldnt find myself getting into Limsa's story. The admiral was praising my work and I'm this 5'5 tribal cat guy feeling totally out of place. Throughout Limsa, I'm struggling to read pirate dialogue I'm not use to reading.

Though VERY cool I can't help but feel out of place.

Maybe my magic based Miqo'te should be from Gridania. Tribal as all hells so on and so forth. A lot of people say that since I'm already level 20 just stay where I'm at and that the story blends together past this anyway, and the truth is they're right but when I go into the character menu and see that city-state emblem only I can see, I'll always know where I came from. Ill always know what I did.

Should I just roll Gridania and join Limsa's GC?

Or should I just suck it up and stay in Limsa and maybe wait until I join my GC?

I feel like if I truly loved Limsa, I wouldnt have doubts for Gridania.

But I do love Limsa! I chose it because Im from a portcity Irl. 

But Gridania fits and feels the role. Crap if I know.

Sorry, I'm in decisive.

Sorry I'm all over the place. My thoughts are scattered just like this post.

I'm in desperate need of help D: 

P.s. I was thinking about doing 

Miqo'te Keeper - Grid

Roegadyn Sea - Limsa

Lalafell Dunes - Uld'ah

Miqo'te Keeper - Grid

Roegadyn Sea - Limsa

Lalafell Dunes - Uld'ah

you could do this if you truly want to.

onto other matters:

Regarding your current character debacle, I think that you should do what you can live with, not what everyone can wave their hand at or explain through back story.

Now, if you can get past seeing the icon and don't mind being from limsa in game mechanics then story is fine, but if you will lose any ammount of enjoyment to the RP/game then maybe you should roll a fresh start from gridania and start as CNJ (move to Limsa sign on for their GC and take up arcanist, now your lined up for shcolar and would already have the lvl 15 CNJ needed.)

However, remember that you will be the only person this decision affects in the end, and therfore you are the only one that has to be happy with the outcome.

(maybe draw up a few story ideas, sit on them for a couple days and see what you can live with.)

To start off I'd like to give thanks and a shout out to a miss L'yhta Mahre for helping me pick my name several weeks back. I never went back to the thread to thank you. 

I have decided on the name Umbr'a Bajihri for my Keeper of the Moon who resides in Gilgamesh, but now I'm having yet another problem my friends just can't seem to help me with so I turn to the only community I think will understand.

I want my character to feel apart of this story.

I started P4 as an Arcanist in Limsa Lominsa. I absolutely love Limsa and the Admiral so on and so forth. I love their emblems and grand company, but Keepers of the Moon are traditionally from Gridania. Now I know everyone says that it doesnt matter do what you want and craft your story around it. Truth is I dont know if I want to do what I want versus what I feel is right. I really want my guy to be traditional though it means fighting something I like. I like Limsa. I feel Gridania. 

Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Though amazing, I couldnt find myself getting into Limsa's story. The admiral was praising my work and I'm this 5'5 tribal cat guy feeling totally out of place. Throughout Limsa, I'm struggling to read pirate dialogue I'm not use to reading.

Though VERY cool I can't help but feel out of place.

Maybe my magic based Miqo'te should be from Gridania. Tribal as all hells so on and so forth. A lot of people say that since I'm already level 20 just stay where I'm at and that the story blends together past this anyway, and the truth is they're right but when I go into the character menu and see that city-state emblem only I can see, I'll always know where I came from. Ill always know what I did.

Or should I just suck it up and stay in Limsa and maybe wait until I join my GC?

Sorry, I'm in decisive.

Sorry I'm all over the place. My thoughts are scattered just like this post.

I'm in desperate need of help D: 

Miqo'te Keeper - Grid

Roegadyn Sea - Limsa

Lalafell Dunes - Uld'ah

lol I can understand your dilemma as Amaare is from Limsa himself having grown up there (but not born there as he is not from Eorzea) Oocly he is in Ul'dah due to him being a pugilist. So I basically crossed situations into his story. Meaning he is from Limsa but came to Ul'dah to improve his hand to hand fighting skills as well as look for work and make money because Ul'dah has wealth.

You can try something similar saying that your Miqo is there to learn their profession (the class you chose). But really is from Gridania born and raised (which then you an also join the Twin Adders to show hometown love/favor)

I'm always happy to help. :)

The pre-15 stories are actually fairly different between the three city-states; not only is the lore phrased differently, but the stories have a different flavor. So, there's definitely some value in being from the city-state where your character is actually from. If you think your character fits better in Gridania, then there's nothing wrong with rerolling. You'll get a different story experience, if nothing else. :)

Alternatively, you can play up your character's awkwardness in the situation in RP. He gets brought in to a political dinner of the thalassocracy and feels wildly out of place, commenting to his friends and others about it -- perhaps going to get a drink afterwards because he's so put out by what happened.

As others have said, you can also play with the mechanics of the situation. You can say that you were originally from the Gridania area, but have been staying as of late in Limsa Lominsa to learn arcanima. Because the arcanists' guild is tied into the taxation and customs systems of the city-state, you can say that you had to become a citizen to receive training, for example.

Yep every city state has a starting set from 1-15 then it starts to become more "everyone on the same page".

having seen all 3 openings and some quests in every city, any character could fit in those stories as long as you make the lore work. Nothing wrong with your character being stuck in Limsa Lominsa but based on what you've said with your lore and the lore of keepers of the moon....

Gridania would server you far better from a lore standpoint but you also end up locked in as a CNJ, LNC, ARC

My character is a Hyur whom is from the outskirts of Gridania and her family history is tied to the Archer's guild and Twin Adders... so from a character point she is very dedicated to Gridania and the Twin Adders... Archer/Bard.

The game is young, your character can be ANYTHING in the end; but you only have one storyline. Go with what you feel is right / your heart is telling you. You can always roll an arcanist later ^^ or after one of the Guild's allows you to (they actually write into the lore when you get the armory unlocked that you have permission to explore other classes, but you should not forget your roots)

This brings a question to mind...

Sorry I don't want to hijack, but it's related to the same dilemna.

I understand that we get a storyline based on our starting city.

However it seems like  the different class guilds have some stories as well.

Do class stories matter much?

I mean, my main character is a Lancer, going to be a Dragoon, but I picked Pugilist as her "main" class to be able to start in Ul'dah, where she makes her home ICly (plus Pugi is needed for Dragoon anyway).

Did I shoot myself in the foot? o_O

I mean, my main character is a Lancer, going to be a Dragoon, but I picked Pugilist as her "main" class to be able to start in Ul'dah, where she makes her home ICly (plus Pugi is needed for Dragoon anyway).

Nope! The class quests don't vary based on whether it's your starting class or one you pick up later.

L'yhta is narratively primarily a Conjurer, but I started her in Limsa Lominsa as an Arcanist because, well, she lives there. :) I'll get the same Conjurer story that I would if I'd started as a Conjurer.

This brings a question to mind...

Sorry I don't want to hijack, but it's related to the same dilemna.

I understand that we get a storyline based on our starting city.

However it seems like  the different class guilds have some stories as well.

You still get the class stories when you level that class, so you're not really missing anything.

I still don't quite know what I'm going to do.

I think I'm going to wait for early access and join The Maelstrom on my current main and then see how it looks upon inspection? See how I like it and go from there.

Truth is, I think I want him to be from Gridania and have its story to fit lore, but want him to represent Limsa Lominsa in everyway. I know I want to join The Maelstrom and possibly even live in The Mist and have my Chocobo repping Limsa Lominsa. Some would say, "Then why not just stay Limsa Lomimsa and build your characters story that he is from Gridania." And to be honest, that's what most would do to avoid trouble and the releveling but I just don't think that method is concrete enough for me? Maybe, that dumb little icon in the Character Menu is my confirmation, but what if it isn't? 

Something that no one else can see is driving me batshit crazy. Ridiculous right?

I'll probably reroll.

So long as Limsa Lominsa's emblem is next to the Grand Company name on inspection under my name. 

ICly, (which I haven't written yet), will probably involve him being from Gridania but casted out because of his families poaching in the Black Shroud. He was seperated at super young age and sent to live in Limsa Lominsa. Born Gridanian / Raised Lominsian? The story will pick up on his trip back to Gridania in search of his family-kin. 

Of course that is super duper rough draft. Who, what, when,where,why, and how will be fleshed out later.

But I guess I want my heart to be in Gridania but my soul is Limsa Lominsa. 

Kinda like a kid from a small town moves to a big city. He never forgets home but he becomes the city. 

But... What if Im wrong!?

Thanks for all the help and support!

I look forward to seeing any of you from Gilgamesh in the near future!

Rather than play in Limsa and have the character come from Gridania... Why not start him in Gridania and actually play his growing there and going from there to Limsa?

If you RP it all out, the circumstances that took him from his homeland to Limsa might even surprise you!

I'm with Asyria here -- leveling is relatively fast, and the Gridania story is definitely worth seeing. I'd go ahead and reroll in Gridania, then join the Maelstrom, use its chocobo barding, and wear its uniform. You can join whatever Grand Company you want, so you can represent Limsa Lominsa ICly. You can also RP your traveling there and deciding to throw your support behind the Admiral.