Hello there.

Poisonous

Boyfriend and I decided to give FFXIV a chance and pre-order ARR. We've played plenty of MMOs together before but never touched FFXIV (I did play FF11 a little while as a kid, holy crap that was a long time ago...) and are both heavy RPers (mostly through the Neverwinter Nights clients, though).

Since we are likely to end up part of this roleplaying community, I was hoping I could get some feedback! We would really appreciate it!

We are trying to figure out which server to go with and are mostly interested in picking a roleplaying server such as Balmung or Gilgamesh. Reading a few of the threads here, I got the impression that Gilgamesh wasn't off to the greatest start and that Balmung was doing well as an established RP community. 

For players completely new to the game, is starting off on an older server a bad idea at all? Are we going to find the leveling areas empty? I remember reading that this was a problem late into FF11's life. I would really appreciate finding out whether this could be a concern. We really want to experience all the content and not just focus on roleplay.

The consensus in other threads seems to be that Balmung as a community is open to new players, have I gotten the right impression?

Thank you very much for any help!

Boyfriend and I decided to give FFXIV a chance and pre-order ARR. We've played plenty of MMOs together before but never touched FFXIV (I did play FF11 a little while as a kid, holy crap that was a long time ago...) and are both heavy RPers (mostly through the Neverwinter Nights clients, though).

Since we are likely to end up part of this roleplaying community, I was hoping I could get some feedback! We would really appreciate it!

We are trying to figure out which server to go with and are mostly interested in picking a roleplaying server such as Balmung or Gilgamesh. Reading a few of the threads here, I got the impression that Gilgamesh wasn't off to the greatest start and that Balmung was doing well as an established RP community. 

For players completely new to the game, is starting off on an older server a bad idea at all? Are we going to find the leveling areas empty? I remember reading that this was a problem late into FF11's life. I would really appreciate finding out whether this could be a concern. We really want to experience all the content and not just focus on roleplay.

The consensus in other threads seems to be that Balmung as a community is open to new players, have I gotten the right impression?

Thank you very much for any help!

Hullo, and welcome!  You've come at a very exciting time!  As a player who decided to start on Gilgamesh, you might think that my opinion is biased, but truth be told there are countless benefits to both servers.  Really it's up to your play style and who you'd want to interact with.  A lot of folks here have even resolved to create characters on both.  Either way, don't be shy, ask lots of questions, and get to know the amazing community here.

Welcome~! First off, Gilgamesh is just as good as Balmung in terms of it's community. There's just been confusion on certain aspects, as everyone has different experiences. (I'm sure Rock will be here to explain how awesome Gilgamesh is in a second.)

I'm new to FFXIV, Never played the original, nor did I even know it existed. However during open beta, we got together and RP'd. I didn't know a single person, in fact most people didn't know each other, but it was an instant success. I stayed from beginning to end, and it lasted about 8 hours of straight RP, and that was just people from this forum who were bored!

POINT IS: Yes, there are a few established friendships on Balmung, but you won't find yourself exiled as a new person. In fact, I'm quite sure the population of new to veterans is heavily scaled towards the new people. Balmung is certainly awesome and you won't find a single 'hurdle' when it comes to veteran RPers, they're very inviting to get you to come join!

As for Gilgamesh, it's also awesome, but I can't speak on it's behalf, Either one you choose, or do both, I guarantee you'll find RP and enjoy it!

Welcome to the RPC.

Considering that the game is basically rebooting, and the influx of new players, you shouldn't be concerned about coming into an established community of role players and not fitting in. Even if there weren't a big group of new players, most role players are more than willing to add new people to their social list.

We tend to be a friendly and accepting bunch when drama doesn't cause major rifts (which can be annoying and not fun to watch.)