Survivors of Dalamud

Hi there!

So I'm ashamed to say I missed 1.0, I'm currently working on my characters back story but am struggling with one particular detail- I have been unable to find any lore detailing how one may have survived the emergence of Bahamut without the aid of Louisoix?

Say, if one was a mere citizen at the time, where might they have been to completely escape the carnage?

Apologies for my complete lack of knowledge on the subject, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

The city-states were relatively safe. Ul'dah didn't get hit at all, and if Limsa did it was very minimal. Seems like only a small portion of Northern Gridania got hit (mainly the old amphitheater). Outside of the city-states it's a bit of a hit or miss situation. Quite literally. Some areas weren't hit by meteors or flares, others were.

The leaders of the Grand Companies ordered the company forces and irregulars to retreat before the big boom. Only the Warriors of Light remained behind; all the others managed to get away.

I'm sure some died from the debris, or from skirmishes with surviving Garlean soldiers, but most made it back alive. Three of my characters fought in the Battle of Cartenau; two irregulars and one soldier in the Immortal Flames. Only my main chara, Aeriyn, remained behind and ended up becoming a Warrior of Light. The other two retreated with the bulk of the army.

Almost all of my characters are common survivors of the Calamity; none of my characters were high enough level, and I wasn't active at the time, so I feel a bit weird about playing a time-skipped character.

The city-states were relatively safe. Ul'dah didn't get hit at all, and if Limsa did it was very minimal. Seems like only a small portion of Northern Gridania got hit (mainly the old amphitheater).

I'm not sure if you're going off of what in-game damage remains, but I took a really close look at the End of an Era trailer tonight for story writing purposes.

All three got hit pretty fantastically.

To be fair, it seemed like most of the flaming balls of doom aimed at Ul'dah actually hit outside the city, with only a small portion of one side being hit; granted, none of the large buildings or even the wall seemed to fall to it, but there was likely some flaming debris in the outer ring on that side.

It looked like the majority of the bay and lower part of Limsa Lominsa went up in flames, which likely was how the majority of the Lominsan navy was lost. The upper part looked like it probably got some flaming debris, but the majority of it would have likely been in lower to mid-city. Having seen some ships burning before, the bay itself was likely on fire for several hours as all the wood, powder, and cloth burned away. I've never heard reference of sea ships having fuel on them, so it wouldn't be nearly as long as some modern ship explosions have burned.

Lastly, while Gridania itself may not have been trashed all that badly, the Shroud around it clearly was; beyond the fiery doom from the primal directly...it's a forest. Fires spread rapidly in woodlands, it was one of the problems with the area I initially lived in when we moved to Utah - the whole side of the "Point of the Mountain" we were on went up in flames a couple of times when I was a kid, even when there wasn't a drought going.

What I wonder is, what kind of emergency and military forces did each city have left behind. With how many people were in the battle shots of End of an Era, it seems like the majority of anyone who could fight or heal went. I assume they wouldn't leave them completely defenceless, but I didn't get the impression from the video or form various in game dialogue that there were enough to deal with what happened, and thus a lot of people were seriously injured or died.

Part of my writing is hinging on the idea that there just weren't enough first responders in the city-states (particularly Limsa and Gridania), and that's what sort of caused the majority of deaths. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Part of my writing is hinging on the idea that there just weren't enough first responders in the city-states (particularly Limsa and Gridania), and that's what sort of caused the majority of deaths. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I think that's entirely plausible. You find out that...

...the Grand Companies retreated from the battlefield shortly after Bahamut's appearance after taking severe losses. Originally, they were going to cover the retreat of the adventurers, but per "The Rise and Fall of the White Raven," the adventurers largely refused to leave Louisoix's side, which is how they all ended up getting timewarped.

Given the losses the GCs suffered, the widespread damage, and the distance from Carteneau and the city-states, it seems plausible that a fair number of deaths after the attack would be due to a lack of healers and other responder personnel.