Character Deaths

Now to get this out of the way, most of my RP career has been on Forums and most of my characters have been Anti-Heros or Villains in general, i know exactly what happens during character deaths. I know what happens, how it happens, how to dodge just about anything thrown at me.

Now that that is out of the way i would like to ask how this community feels about Character deaths as i know first hand no one is immortal. The thing is about Forum RP is its easy to move on past a character death by creating a new one, but in an MMO its harder to deal with as there is almost a 0% chance that someone in the world looks exactly identical to you and without character renames/Appearance changer it becomes a slight problem. Im only asking because it was brought up last night in the "Intermission 2" RP channel very briefly.

Thank you :)

I'm of the personal opinion that every story has an end point.  However, where that end point is is up to the individual player.

Well yes i can defiantly agree on and i like when characters end on a good note, but there are people who, like me, don't just stop RPing once a character they really really liked is finally on his closing chapter and is gone for good. Im not saying that character have to die or any such nonsense like that so don't worry, but sometimes unpredictable things happen that can having a very large consequence on a character, such as close ones dying, losing a limb somehow, being stuck in a chair for quite some time, or in this case. Dying.

I'm of the personal opinion that every story has an end point.  However, where that end point is is up to the individual player.

Well yes i can defiantly agree on and i like when characters end on a good note, but there are people who, like me, don't just stop RPing once a character they really really liked is finally on his closing chapter and is gone for good. Im not saying that character have to die or any such nonsense like that so don't worry, but sometimes unpredictable things happen that can having a very large consequence on a character, such as close ones dying, losing a limb somehow, being stuck in a chair for quite some time, or in this case. Dying.

This is true.  However, speaking from personal experience here, I am no longer willing to let random strangers have the power to end my character's story.  If my character dies, it'll be because I've decided that it fits, not because some random yahoo decided he was "bored" and wanted to kill someone.

I'd say only retire the character if you're done and only wait to kill off someone if you want to delete that character AND/OR the upcoming race/gender shift service has a name change too. If it does, use both and there you go, same ranks and such, but new character!

You shouldn't have to sacrifice your game progress in the sake of story; just change roles. :tonberry:

Now I didn't say it'd be free though.

This is true.  However, speaking from personal experience here, I am no longer willing to let random strangers have the power to end my character's story.  If my character dies, it'll be because I've decided that it fits, not because some random yahoo decided he was "bored" and wanted to kill someone.

Well back to what i said earlier is the unpredictability. While i can agree with you for certain that if some random bloke walks up to me and tries to kill me for the lolz or cause he is bored then yeah im gonna deny him, but if i have a deep connection against someone and they beat me in fair combat then its up to them to choose.. I don't know im only asking this because in the past i've been yelled at for allowing people to kill me.. Yep.. People yelling at me for allowing others to kill me.. It really doesn't make much sense to me either.

Well back to what i said earlier is the unpredictability. While i can agree with you for certain that if some random bloke walks up to me and tries to kill me for the lolz or cause he is bored then yeah im gonna deny him, but if i have a deep connection against someone and they beat me in fair combat then its up to them to choose.. I don't know im only asking this because in the past i've been yelled at for allowing people to kill me.. Yep.. People yelling at me for allowing others to kill me.. It really doesn't make much sense to me either.

What you do with your character is your choice.  It is, in my opinion, neither right nor wrong, so long as you're not hurting anyone else.

Character death has to be controlled by the player of that character and him alone. This is also true of anything that would deprive the player from playing that character (like capture) and for anything that would change the character severely (like mutilation of body parts). You should state OOCly during the scene that you are okay with those things happening to your character.