How to find RP!

I'm sure a post has already been made about this, but I'm not too forum-savvy so! I really was wondering a good method of finding RP! Whether its in a free company or linkshell, around the world, or in any other method. I was just wondering if there was a way I could contact people or give a shout out when the RP mood hits me! I've tried asking in /shout but usually no one responds. I appreciate any help :D

It seems the only way is to join LS and FC groups for it. People will only by the look of it RP among their own groups. I was kind of expecting to see some open world RP going on but i have not seen anything yet. Only Trolls and kids seem to be on Balmung and not the large RP community i hoped for.

It seems the only way is to join LS and FC groups for it. People will only by the look of it RP among their own groups. I was kind of expecting to see some open world RP going on but i have not seen anything yet. Only Trolls and kids seem to be on Balmung and not the large RP community i hoped for.

I agree! I asked for RP last night in /shout and the only response was 'Erotic roleplay? anytime' :<

I'm going to assume many role-players are currently focusing on leveling or simply cannot get online due to the unfortunate bloating of both Balmung and Gilgamesh. I do feel for you, though - I expected to see at least a bit of role-play though so far the only stuff I've encountered was blatant ERP baiting in Costa Del Sol and as soon as I made it clear I wasn't looking to have my character get laid the role-play stopped abruptly.

Once the launch issues are resolved we'll likely see more role-play happening throughout Balmung and Gilgamesh! If we don't, then I'll personally take a stand and kick up a fuss to ensure there's a lot of visible role-play going on.

Ahh, the dreaded "ERP or No RP"

I've come across random people RPing within cities (Like the Gold Court in Ul'dah). Not sure about how you'd find them, but be sure to check out the LS page! Usually I see tons of RPers that I easily recognize from being in one of the listed linkshells. Take a swing that-a-way and find one you like! Don't have to join, just see if they're down for RP.

Also, you can post on the RP board and ask if anyone would like an RP get together. I did that before, worked quite well. :D

I prefer lower population servers for this reason,(quality over quantity) the RP community gets wattered down with all the OOC players on heavy load servers and then when the RPers get trolled on they just move into there groups/guilds/linkshels/FCs or wherever they are not mocked/bullied for openly RPing.

I just figure its more that players are still playing through the content and exploring the world, (thats kinda where im at right now.) as time goes on and everyone settles down i think RP will start to flow more in the open world. Hopefully.

I've yet to even have somebody approach me for ERP maybe my character just isn't hot enough >.>

Maybe i should just try and arrange something of an event to tempt a few RP types out of their holes one day and see who i find i'll think it over. Tried poking around with some RP in open world but never got a response to it so have just gone back to pushing for White Mage and spamming instances.

Like Theodric said, a lot of people is locked out of the game thanks to the login errors and, those who ARE inside will be busy levelling up. Once the server issues are settled and people reach their desired levels, they'll start roleplaying more often.

With that said, the best way to catch some on-the-field or random roleplay is to emote in-character. That will be just enough to indicate to others that you are now on 'roleplaying mode' and that they can join in. You have to be patient, though, since some people's characters might not be ICly in the area you are at and, for consistency reason, opt not to join in. Not to mention that some will take some time while they decide how they want to approach you. Because of these reasons, you must not just drop one single lonely emote but two or three before moving on.

To increase your chances of success, you can emote around people who have lore-friendly names.

You can also try taverns and inns. Tons of quest send players to those locations, so chances are -someone- will be a roleplayer. The problem is knowing if they are willing to interrupt their levelling for the roleplay.

On a side note, my character tends to wander fairly often so it's not too much of a stretch for him to appear in any of the main city states and the surrounding regions; so if anyone fancies a bit of role-play sometime feel free to message me and we can work something out!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been able to bait RP just by using custom emotes whenever I'm stationary for any length of time. It works wonders. If someone's seated at an adventurer's guild/inn/tavern-y place, more than likely they're aiming to RP. Casuals don't really do that.

Well Ive tried RPing with people sitting down in random areas, but its usually AFKers who stay online to avoid the full world lock out. :< But anyways, thanks for a lot of the help, guys! Im also looking to join some LSes or a guild if anyone has any reccomendations! :) I like the community so far. Everyone seems nice and pleasant! (Who is a roleplayer, at least.)

Walking, custom emotes, and standard ice-breaker lines in /say are great ways to advertise that you are actively looking for RP. If there are fellow role players in the area, there is a good chance that they might take the bait, for at least a few lines of pick up RP.

Developing story lines might be a big harder as a solo wanderer. There are many great RP guilds listed in Linshell Hall, and you may need to choose one to help you to tell your story :) . We also recognize those RP FCs names, so if there are some you know of that wear the abbreviations from those Free Companies in your immediate area, you have a better chance to start things up randomly.

For me, often, role play is where you find it and when you make it :thumbsup: .

I’ve always found on many MMO’s that there were areas which were the unofficial gathering spots for roleplay. A tavern for example, a city dwelling, a housing area, it would be great to have some designated hotspots for roleplay for those who are looking for it.

The argument is, and I am partial to agree, that roleplay within taverns and such can become quite stagnant. I’ve had some great roleplays drinking, dancing, playing the fool and evading bar fights for sure, but some communities struggle to break out of that habit and ceases to encourage plots outside of the box.

Travel roleplay will always be my favourite sort. Especially when you take into account adverse weather, dangers, character strengths and weakness etc, it is highly unlikely to encounter a roleplayer while walking out in the open but sometimes you’d be surprised. The key, is as many have already pointed out, that meeting people and networking IC and OOCly is the best way to get into the loop of frequent roleplay.