'Fight Club' LS

YesGood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. I wrote up... an entire Linkshell directory entry. Let me get it looked over.

Might be a little early buuut... Better to be prepared! Also, thank you Penniless for that pretty picture. Do you think Google would be mad if I used it as a temporary placeholder until I could design something?

Credit it to:

Florida Center for Instructional Technology, College of EducationUniversity of South Florida

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/72700/72725/72725_grindstone.htm

Sounds amazing, I'd one hundred percent be interested. I'm an old school freeformer who grew up on the stuff, the whole lack of interest in anything but random tavern roleplay lately in most games has been killing me.

On a side note, Here's a good read my friend wrote up with a few other extremely experienced freeformers, It's a good bit of the basics for anyone whom enjoys RP fighting.

http://thetonyexperience.deviantart.com/journal/RP-Combat-Butt-Kicking-101-271544659

So the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was "This would be excellent to spectate and place bets IC!".

But then I read this...

The intent isn't to start a gambling circuit where people are honed for the purpose of fighting in the ring for profit.

I take it our characters could still place bets between other willing spectators, but it isn't officially supported by the Boss?

There's no way Logan would be in the ring, but turning up to watch, place bets and scout for potential hired hands, definitely.

I wrote up a Linkshell directory post. It may take me a few more days to put it up and until the trial is over, it may or may not become official.

To answer the Jove's question and just to sate any curiosity, here are the outline of rules:

Rules:

Out of Character-

1. Be Civil - ICly this is a neutral training coalition of people who want to improve their skills, not put others down. Everyone, as roleplayers, will be expected to be civil to one another OOCly, regardless of how abrasive your character may be. If you have some issue with someone else out of character, we don't want to know about it, we don't want to see it, and we CERTAINLY do not want to be involved in it. If you instigate issues you will be removed from the Linkshell.

2. No Killing - ICly precautions will be taken to make sure no one will die. There are rules about it in character, but you should never fear that your character will die due to the outcome of any match. Not going to let it happen. Don't try to do it.

3. Heed the Overseers - In the case of the LS and not for any attached FC (where officers should be respected by all members and -will- be expected to -earn- that respect from other members) the Overseers will play the role of bouncers, arbiters, and referees. Any Overseers will exist to keep an eye on trainers and trainees, nipping any animosity in the bud, and keeping the peace. If you're asked to keep the OOC debates to a minimum, please heed these people. We don't want IC issues or OOC issues having a negative impact on each other. If you can't respect this small form of authority, it's probably best not to be involved.

Note: Trainers don't have to be Overseers-- anyone is free to train anyone else so long as the individual is willing to learn. Likewise, Overseers of the Grindstone will not take precedence over the officers of any LS or FC groups involved in the Grindstone. They are only there to be fair and keep the peace.

4. Be Patient - Not everyone who wants to do combat RP is a skilled veteran. Keep that in mind in this linkshell and be as patient and helpful as possible. Criticism should be constructive, but more importantly TACTFUL. Don't ruin anyone's self-esteem.

In Character - 

1. The Grindstone is a neutral coalition and thus, is not necessarily affiliated with any other organization as a whole. While a Free Company may emerge in time for those looking for permanent housing, training, allies, and work, those involved only in this coalition will not be expected to rally on behalf of any group outside their own personal alliances.

2. Blunted or wooden weapons (arrows included) are required for any event or official sparring match for the safety of those involved. While individuals may mutually agree to spar in full weapons and armor, the Grindstone will not be held accountable for any permanent damage that results from such a bout.

3. Magic users be warned: while you're free to use any of our facilities (assuming we have any) and you're welcome to invite other members of the Grindstone to test your skills against, the use of magic will not be allowed in events in order to preserve the nature and intent of developing physical combat skills.

4. Outside rivalries or dislike will be left outside the training circle. Any individuals who instigate issues with others based on personal grudges will be required to leave in order to preserve the sanctity of the Grindstone.

5. In order to participate in an event, individuals must hold the rank of 'Journeyman' or higher.

6. Official bets -may- be allowed in the future; unofficial bets are always allowed. 

7. Absolutely NO death-strikes are allowed for any reason within the training area of the Grindstone at any time. Healers will be a necessity to assure no accidental deaths. An attacker who attempts such a strike will be forcibly removed and dealt with accordingly.

8. If the rules are broken, culprits will be asked to leave. Refusing to leave may result in the use of force.

Sounds amazing, I'd one hundred percent be interested. I'm an old school freeformer who grew up on the stuff, the whole lack of interest in anything but random tavern roleplay lately in most games has been killing me.

On a side note, Here's a good read my friend wrote up with a few other extremely experienced freeformers, It's a good bit of the basics for anyone whom enjoys RP fighting.

http://thetonyexperience.deviantart.com/journal/RP-Combat-Butt-Kicking-101-271544659

This is a good link :thumbsup:

I too am a freeformer when it comes to combat Rp. And I do enjoy that link! I was doing a sage nod the entire time I was reading. The LS idea sounds great and I would love to be a part of it.

6. Official bets -may- be allowed in the future; unofficial bets are always allowed. 

*Rattles Gil pouch*

By the way, if you're still trying to find a place, there's always that area in Middle La Noscea, just along from the huge scaffolding that you go up and down to cross the gorge. It's where you face the masked man for the first time.

I mean it pretty much is a dead end area, a rocky outcrop by a river that has a few docile water sprites. I think you only go there once for a quest, and that's basically waiting outside the tunnel entrance during the battle instance.

From what I remember though, it's a pretty empty natural arena.

(Woad Whisper Canyon)

There's also the outcropping of Agelyss River, for more dramatic scenery.

Middle_La_Noscea_Map.jpg

I too am a freeformer when it comes to combat Rp. And I do enjoy that link! I was doing a sage nod the entire time I was reading. The LS idea sounds great and I would love to be a part of it.

My sentiments exactly. haha

If I may, I recommend that people are given an option between rolling or not. So those who are alright with just doing it and seeing where it goes can run that route. I myself -unless I have to now- will not do a roll duel/fight. I did one recently on rolz.org where my character was below subpar (literally missed every hit and was hit every time) because the generator never gave a number over 30. I went with it and blamed it on him showing up to practice drunk (yay improv, usually I have him lose fights to play along with others, but this just took losing to a whole other level, I knew he was bad - but that bad..he might need to rethink life.) I am a pretty fair person when it comes to IC fights therefore I prefer purely RPd out. If it's a roll-only club, I might be able to drop by to watch, but I'd likely not end up participating.

Though, on the fact of rolls: for people who want a rolling system since the game doesn't have it (or at least it's not /roll /dice /number as I tried those) there is rolz.org.

I think the idea will be quite interesting and is a way for people to roleplay fights without necessarily having to have a rival/enemy person to do it with (or starting tavern brawls)

Might have to leave archers out too and just allow them to train against other classes and the like but not to fight -as archers- during any sort of event. Maybe they'll be Archer-Pugilists or somefin.

Most RP sparing and training I have participated in or seen gets to pick up a weapon and go with it (whether real or fake) regardless of in-game mechanics as most RPers don't heavily take into play their profession beyond the gear they're wearing and the weapon they have, granted, weapons aren't limited to just what you see in-game. Such as, my archer carries around several knives (roughly daggers) on him for many different purposes - fighting up close being one reason. This also goes for magic classes. Burning my character in a ring of fire is not on my to-do list, I'd rather have him take a sword hit or knife puncture somewhere. I would assume many people who play characters that are going to be interested in a fight club are going to have their characters gifted/trained/trial-and-errored some experience with hand-to-hand or basic melee abilities despite whatever the game mechanics may say. I don't believe you'll have a big issue with archers trying to use their bows when it's friendly(ish) fighting, blunted or not - RPing kiting around can get old really fast for all parties involved. wink.gif

If I may, I recommend that people are given an option between rolling or not. So those who are alright with just doing it and seeing where it goes can run that route. I myself -unless I have to now- will not do a roll duel/fight. I did one recently on rolz.org where my character was below subpar (literally missed every hit and was hit every time) because the generator never gave a number over 30. I went with it and blamed it on him showing up to practice drunk (yay improv, usually I have him lose fights to play along with others, but this just took losing to a whole other level, I knew he was bad - but that bad..he might need to rethink life.) I am a pretty fair person when it comes to IC fights therefore I prefer purely RPd out. If it's a roll-only club, I might be able to drop by to watch, but I'd likely not end up participating.

Though, on the fact of rolls: for people who want a rolling system since the game doesn't have it (or at least it's not /roll /dice /number as I tried those) there is rolz.org.

I think the idea will be quite interesting and is a way for people to roleplay fights without necessarily having to have a rival/enemy person to do it with (or starting tavern brawls)

Might have to leave archers out too and just allow them to train against other classes and the like but not to fight -as archers- during any sort of event. Maybe they'll be Archer-Pugilists or somefin.

Most RP sparing and training I have participated in or seen gets to pick up a weapon and go with it (whether real or fake) regardless of in-game mechanics as most RPers don't heavily take into play their profession beyond the gear they're wearing and the weapon they have, granted, weapons aren't limited to just what you see in-game. Such as, my archer carries around several knives (roughly daggers) on him for many different purposes - fighting up close being one reason. This also goes for magic classes. Burning my character in a ring of fire is not on my to-do list, I'd rather have him take a sword hit or knife puncture somewhere. I would assume many people who play characters that are going to be interested in a fight club are going to have some experience with hand-to-hand or basic melee abilities despite whatever the game mechanics may say. I don't believe you'll have a big issue with archers trying to use their bows when it's friendly(ish) fighting, blunted or not - RPing kiting around can get old really fast for all parties involved. wink.gif

Everyone has the option not to roll, as I mentioned in the LS directory and here. The events require rolling to make sure things progress quickly enough for everyone to be involved.

I agree about the archers thing. S'why I said it! Hurraaaay! Agreement.

I'd think they'd like some form of physical combat training as well as range but I was told that they should be included so... If people want to chase one down, I'm fine with it.

Everyone has the option not to roll, as I mentioned in the LS directory and here. The events require rolling to make sure things progress quickly enough for everyone to be involved.

I'd think they'd like some form of physical combat training as well as range but I was told that they should be included so... If people want to chase one down, I'm fine with it.

I must have missed that or misread, my apologizes.

Hm chasing down an archer? That could be amusing to watch. Send a bunch of melee out to hunt down an archer. A ...strange game of tag. 'Cept, well, if the archer gets caught he's royally messed up. But eh, details.

I must have missed that or misread, my apologizes.

Hm chasing down an archer? That could be amusing to watch. Send a bunch of melee out to hunt down an archer. A ...strange game of tag. 'Cept, well, if the archer gets caught he's royally messed up. But eh, details.

I realized that Siobhain has at least one thing she can do that I didn't think of while writing the character... *THROWS SHIELD* CAPTAIN AMURRICA!

I realized that Siobhain has at least one thing she can do that I didn't think of while writing the character... *THROWS SHIELD* CAPTAIN AMURRICA!

Her figure arched forward, ribs curling down toward her abdomen as her arm, acting as a slingshot, whipped forward with all her might. With her footing planted heavily in place to add power through the swivel of her hips and torso, she gave a twist of her wrist to finish the maneuver. Siobhain released the shield from her grasp and let it whirl through the air with tremendous force. A gruesome sound soon followed as the metal collided with the skull of the once-fleeing archer, that sound soon followed by the thud of the body hitting the earth and laying motionless in minor contortion. Siobhain approached the unconscious archer to thrust a heavy boot upon his back, her throwing arm raising up so that her bicep was straight out from her body, elbow bent as her arm curled up parallel to her body: a flexed pose of triumph. 'Muria 1: Eorzea 0.

(/butchers your character... It is too late, I am too tired, ignore my BS o/)

Her figure arched forward, ribs curling down toward her abdomen as her arm, acting as a slingshot, whipped forward with all her might. With her footing planted heavily in place to add power through the swivel of her hips and torso, she gave a twist of her wrist to finish the maneuver. Siobhain released the shield from her grasp and let it whirl through the air with tremendous force. A gruesome sound soon followed as the metal collided with the skull of the once-fleeing archer, that sound soon followed by the thud of the body hitting the earth and laying motionless in minor contortion. Siobhain approached the unconscious archer to thrust a heavy boot upon his back, her throwing arm raising up so that her bicep was straight out from her body, elbow bent as her arm curled up parallel to her body: a flexed pose of triumph. 'Muria 1: Eorzea 0.

(/butchers your character... It is too late, I am too tired, ignore my BS o/)

I feel as though Siobhain is suddenly quite sexy.

Thank you for that. <3

The Grindstone -is- now up in the directory for viewage. I also got the LS in game. Loooove how simple it is.

And Zarek's pretteh smexy too.

Oh, I also found a training circle outside of Gridania although I forget now what the name is. O_O There's an Elezen with a spear, is all I remember.

I also got the LS in game.

Errhmigaw, I'm in like Flynn tonight.

I hope that I'm not on too late for you guys. I usually get on around 9 PST but I can get on a bit earlier if needbe. I also made Jael'il Erisha'an a leader so if you'd like a linkshell invite before I get a chance to get on, you can contact him, otherwise we can arrange bumping into one another in one of the training areas.

That's probably going to have to happen a fair bit until I find some Overseers/LS Leaders.

Also I'll look into starting an FC for people who want this to be a full-time dedication for their character.