Cliche RP Elements

Eva

Again, it's more from using things out of context. Like how you wouldn't light a prepackaged cigarette with a zippo in the middle of the middle ages (GET IT?! BA DUM TISH!)

But, that's the best example I can give, so...

Also:

I hate people who roleplay half-breeds as if they're the perfect half of two different things. There's gotta be some horrible defect of some kind in there. Half-elves aren't just tall humans with pointy ears, maybe they're horribly short-lived for human OR elf lifetimes.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tired of mithra (or miqo'te in this case) that act overly cutesie and innocent' date=' and adopt some guy as her BIIIIIIIIIIG BROOOOOOOOOOOTHER ^___^ ^___^ >.< >.< >///////////< God I hate them.[/quote']

D: My miqo'te is going to be innocent and naive, at least until her skewed view on the world is squished by the truth. I hope that isn't cliche, I mean she won't be going around giving hugs and adopt some guy as her brother or anything.

I think the "Hai desu ne onii-chan!" squeaky cutsie character is pretty darn obnoxious too, but now I feel cliche. /cry

Innocence is not cliche if done right, I think you have the right Idea.

I am not sure if this is cliche or not but my back ground goes something like this.

My character was a simple fisherman in a small village, good family, good parents, nothing wrong really.

One day he gets struck by lightening and wakes up sorta hurt. People in the village say he just didn't seem to be the same person. He rebels and starts to be mischievous, small petty things, small crimes. Mostly he was reacting to the village because he could not understand what they mean by his change. He just felt more alive and wanted to express it.

several years later, in a thunder storm he was almost struck again. He was able to get out of the way of the bolt just by chance. To him thought it was a sign to "move his feet." So he wished mom and dad best of luck, promise to send back gil and took to the road.

He was young, got into some trouble, arrested a few times but really did want to be good. He just didn't want to be bored.

Years later he finds himself in Ul'dah paying off some court fees and starting a new life of adventuring where his energetic ways might earn him some cash, and possibly help him understand what his role in life really is.

No god mode

no emo, had a good life, parents are assumed to be alive

not a dark past, just checkered and getting over it. No dark secrets.

not a master thief, just a terrible thug. Never been good at anything because he never had to be.

I want him to be mortal with a slightly imperfect past. It might not be epic, but ir does give a comfortable feel to it.

I am trying to reflect less on his past, and more on his interactions. There is a past, but its a foot note instead of the whole. His real life begins in-game.

Mine is struggling with a psychosis that allows him flashes into other dimensions or (so he thinks), lengthy periods of amnesia (during which he may or may not be assuming an alternate personality that unleashes his violent madness in murderous ways), and battles against a may-or-may-not exist demon (that may or may not be the manifestation of his guilt for a vast genocide he -perhaps- accidentally committed) through decades of time in which he barely seems to age.

So yeah :)

Eeam is going to be a cliche, or rather, a parody on your basic boyscout. I haven't worked out the details just yet (nubRPer lolo) but I plan on him being overly chivalrous and heroic. Somewhat naive in the way the world works and perhaps maybe a little bit arrogant regarding his own strength. He's really going to get on the last nerve of those brooding grim/dark antiheroes. xD

There is a past, but its a foot note instead of the whole. His real life begins in-game.

Yep that's exactly how I'm viewing Aveline's, too. Her past could be considered interesting (there are definitely some interesting characters in her life), but she's just a bartender until the game starts and then she really starts to see challenge and combat, etc., etc.

Eeam is going to be a cliche' date=' or rather, a parody on your basic boyscout. I haven't worked out the details just yet (nubRPer lolo) but I plan on him being overly chivalrous and heroic. Somewhat naive in the way the world works and perhaps maybe a little bit arrogant regarding his own strength. He's really going to get on the last nerve of those brooding grim/dark antiheroes. xD[/quote']

Lawful-Stupid character?

I approve, I approve whole-heartedly.

There is a past' date=' but its a foot note instead of the whole. His real life begins in-game.[/quote']

Yep that's exactly how I'm viewing Aveline's, too. Her past could be considered interesting (there are definitely some interesting characters in her life), but she's just a bartender until the game starts and then she really starts to see challenge and combat, etc., etc.

Who knows what will happen at the tiny desert oasis of Al'Mian :P

To hit on a few of the topics: (Sorry I just read every page of this thread.)

When I was playing WoW we had one member of my guild that was always getting kidnapped and needed rescued. By the third or fourth time it happened people were like, "So and so got kidnapped again. Do we go get her? Okay fine but this is the last time!" I mean come on people, use your imagination and stop repeating the same old thing over and over again.

As far as using the same character every time I sort of do but only in namesake. I usually use Keland or some other form of the name depending on what sex, race, etc they are. As far as their personality they are different from each other.

RPing a relationship is very time consuming. I personally do not recommend doing it, having done it a handful of times. Also, if the relationship goes sour, for whatever reason, 9 times out of 10 you and that person don't talk much again.

I never go by the time established in game. If that were the case your character would get old really quick. Not to mention all of the other things mentioned her already.

To hit on a few of the topics: (Sorry I just read every page of this thread.)

When I was playing WoW we had one member of my guild that was always getting kidnapped and needed rescued. By the third or fourth time it happened people were like, "So and so got kidnapped again. Do we go get her? Okay fine but this is the last time!" I mean come on people, use your imagination and stop repeating the same old thing over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwiJTIiRS4

Mine is struggling with a psychosis that allows him flashes into other dimensions or (so he thinks), lengthy periods of amnesia (during which he may or may not be assuming an alternate personality that unleashes his violent madness in murderous ways), and battles against a may-or-may-not exist demon (that may or may not be the manifestation of his guilt for a vast genocide he -perhaps- accidentally committed) through decades of time in which he barely seems to age.

So yeah :)

Oh Diashi, remind me to try not to mess with you, mentally that is.

Mine might have mild brain damage from a lightening strike, or did it just wake him up to life like anear death experience? Comical yet sad.

I hate character's that are overly special. "they have been alive for 3000 years and are the chosen one, but they have amnesia so they think they are young and they are extremely skilled in combat, and have the power to destroy the world, they have crystal inside their body that is the key to the univer- LET ME BE THE MAIN CHARACTER!!!!"

My characters tend toward middle to upper middle class working folk. Usually travelers, but nothing terribly special. I always found it fun to be the regular guy around all the super powered immortal highlander vampire demon bat wolves. My favorite character of all time was a bartender in SWG. That's it. She had never left correllia, much less be a galactic hero. No fighting skills, just made damn good drinks.

My characters tend toward middle to upper middle class working folk. Usually travelers' date=' but nothing terribly special. I always found it fun to be the regular guy around all the super powered immortal highlander vampire demon bat wolves. My favorite character of all time was a bartender in SWG. That's it. She had never left correllia, much less be a galactic hero. No fighting skills, just made damn good drinks.[/quote']

Glorious normalcy.

It's rather funny to me that normal characters are the rare and interesting gems in the world filled with people who can shoot lightning out of their arses.

I shoot lightening out of my NOSE thank you very much. The majority of cliche's come from the younger crowd, its usually always coming from the people who watch bleach/naruto (crappy anime in general) who want to immitate it.

I've always found it's much more fun to start with less and make your character work hard to get anywhere rather than bejewel them with special abilities, great wealth, or special relationships with gods. This is probably a throwback from my tabletop RP days, though.

Reminiscing story somewhat sidetracked from topic:

Our group tried a bunch of different "themed" RP stories, and two of them stand out the most (both in Shadowrun): The Days of Our Lives game and the Gutterpunk game. "Days of Our Lives" was just something we called it after awhile, I think the original name the GM gave it was Socialite or something. But anyway basically everyone started out with 1 million in cash and a fancy house of our choosing. At first it was fun, everyone had ridiculous weapons, armor, bodyguards, ninjas, implants, whatever. But after awhile it was SO BORING because, while we were still using our imaginations, we were basically just throwing money at our problems.

The gutterpunk game was excellent, on the contrary. I started out as a hobo who lived in a dumpster behind a movie theater with a weapon specialization in broken whiskey bottles. Everything we did in that game was incredibly challenging, and we had to be really innovative to get ourselves out of situations.

Basically, the more creative I have to be with my character, the more fun the game is. But I understand why many people do gravitate toward the cliches, especially when just starting out.

I like to make my character similar to a large rock with a face painted on it, the face being the base personality. over time, things will happen to the rock, shaping and moulding it through experience, and then you have an interesting, polished rock. I am a rock. :(

What about people that act like either cloud' date=' or sephiroth, those guys are the scum of the earth.[/quote']

oh dear I saw so many separoth, seppyroth, siepwrath, sefarath ect. I basically ignored them.

I made this name a long time ago before Final Fantasy's infamous character. I loved the how it rolls off the tongue and i prefer to be called Sass anyways. Then captain long hair had to show up with his katana of doom.

If I ever make a sephiroth character I am going to name him Septic Wrath and be a professional plumber.

ALL THE PLOTS MUST REVOLVE AROUND ME.

Seriously. They must. :lol:

ALL YOUR PLOTS ARE BELONG TO US!