The Long Road Ahead

Some time had passed....a number of suns, and he had felt better than he had in ages. He smiled warmly as the sunlight shone through the window to the inn room and finished tidying it. He glanced about, making sure nothing was elft behind or out of place, as he didn't want his stay in the room to be burden for the staff of the Quicksand. He imagined Aya and smiled as he thought of this. She might be upset though at his plans, but he knew it was for the best and promised himself he would ensure to keep in touch with her at least. He nodded to himself at this.

He'd been sober for a week now, deciding to go cold turkey. It had been hard going for the first few days, but the cold sweats had stopped at least and he was beginning to feel better, at least not craving it the moment we woke up as had been typical lately. He was a bit saddened that while he had reached out to Natalie and Kage, he'd not heard from them. He supposed they might be busy and thus why he'd opted to try and correct the matter on his own. He'd also had decent sleep lately. The dreams seem to have been receding and he was thankful to the Twelve for that.

He glanced at the bags situated neatly near the door and began to sling them over his his shoulders, as he prepared for the long journey out of Ul'dah. As he stepped from the room he turned back and smiled. He was sure he would see it or one like it again sometime soon, but it would be under different circumstances, and so he was a bit saddened by it. He stepped out through the busy Quicksand out the side doors, heading to the Hustings Strip for a last look.

As he approached the red carpeted landing, he smiled, fondly remembering the first time he'd met Natalie here, or the laps he'd run. He laughed to himself as he recalled the concerned look on Aya's face as she saw him running in that heavy armor. He shook his head and sighed, whispering to himself "Goodbye....it was fun."  He wished he could have spoken to Kage one last time, but the option seemed unlikely as he didn't know where he was. With that, he turned and headed back to the street, listening the bustle of the crowds, seeing the women and men flirting as they often did, and headed toward the main gate outside of the Quicksand. He turned and smiled.

It was an amazing city to be certain, but he had made a mistake coming back. There were too many bad memories here and he was not capable of handling it alone. He'd tried to join the Sultansworn, but no longer felt that he would be an asset to them. He couldn't go to Limsa either....he wanted to see Sur....Liana...again, but he had not heard from her in a while either. He no longer felt at home long term in Gridania either. Thus he decided to explore north....

He had remembered his warmer gear as he had decided that perhaps some time in Coerthas would do him some good. He smiled, turned and left Ul'dah, ready for a new adventure.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dry heat of Ul'dah was too much for Yllaria. It was apparent in the way she stood, in her elongated silences. She didn't complain. Wewenoki would have been surprised if she had; she was not known to be faint of heart or resolve.

Their boss, Thuvbhrat "Tabart" Sthalzoengsyn, had ordered them after one of Grace's most recent conquests. Mink had capitulated without a word, as she was wont, but Wewenoki had arranged a private meeting with the slim roegadyn. "It is necessary," he had been told, "you must follow my orders on this one, Noki, without questioning me."

Noki was worried. Tabart was becoming more and more reclusive, more and more grim. He knew that Jaded had faced one of its longest downturns since the ring had left Ul'dah, and he also knew that beneath all the bluff and bluster about Heaven's Gate, Tabart considered it his fault. He shouldered it alone; was it any wonder he was beginning to falter under the pressure?

Not like Noki could do anything about it from Ul'dah, for all their target seemed prepared to move. It was pointless to agonize over it. He knew that. But he couldn't help himself.

He worried over Yllaria instead.

"Fear not, my dear girl, I believe it is time that we apprehend sir Sasatani. Once he leaves, we will catch him outside the city, and then we may leave the desert."

Her stare was long as she considered him in silence. She ended her survey of him with a sigh, but he could see the slight shift in her expression; he'd almost made her smile. Good. True, it was likely in exasperation with him (she was, after all, in her thirties and well out of girlhood), but he would take what he could get when it came to the morale of his longtime companions.

Yes, they would catch Rurutani Sasatani on the road out of Ul'dah, when there were fewer people.

Then they would make sure he never set foot near Heaven's Gate again.

He had stepped out quietly, the desert before him familiar and alien all at once. The alien feel always came when he saw it from a distance, taking the view in all at once, with the distant hills and the horizon. Once he was in it, and walking, it would return to its normal state in his mind. He had a clear path mapped out in his mind, aiming to head toward Drybone and then through the Shroud, passing through Fallgaurd Float before finally entering Coerthas proper. Once there he figured he would remain at Dragonhead for a time, perhaps perfecting his newly acquired hobby of weaving, as it brought his mind some much needed peace.

He threw his legs over his chocobo Moriarty and lightly patted him on the side of the neck. "No worries friend....I'm sure they have warm stables for you guys up north." He smiled and then lightly kicked the bird, urging him forward at a moderate pace, not wanting to tire his friend out for they had a long ride ahead of them. He leaned his head down and looked forward to the ride ahead as it offered time to reflect....time to consider his options....and time for some much needed quiet.

Though the only words Yllaria had spoken to Noki all day were "call me Mink," (she having long ago stopped using her given name, though as Noki abhorred external monikers with little having to do with one's actual name, he never used it no matter how frequent her exhortations. Besides, he'd known her long enough to forgo such impersonal aliases. She was Yllaria, and that was that), they did not need chatter to know what to do. They'd worked together a long time, and except for a brief outline Noki had given her on their plan, they worked smoothly without the need to reaffirm their actions.

Noki was waiting on the road for Rurutani. He wore a broad-rimmed hat, and traditional robes made of a lighter weave than what was typical. He rode a chocobo of his own, girded and ready for battle -- no matter how light that battle was to be. No matter his own personal unease over such underhanded and --frankly -- brutish tactics, he had a job to do for Tabart. One that he knew Tabart himself struggled with.

When he called out to the sole lalafell on the road (and what a deserted, perfect stretch it was), his voice did not shake. He showed no signs of his own conflict. "Rurutani Sasatani?"

Yllaria remained out of sight, for the moment.

He saw the man on the Chocobo and took him for another adveturer traveling to and fro and was going to nod politely when he heard the man say his name. Not his nickname, Ruru, no it had been the full name....even his sadistic brother hadn't used his full name. So this man knew him and not in a friendly way. This was either business or something else that dared not consider, and yet it perplexed him. Who would want anything to do with him? He was just a man....no enemies that he was aware of, no debts....so who was this man?

As Ruru slowed Moriarty he noted that whoever the man was, he was no novice. Even his Chocobo was barded and ready for battle.

He stopped and looked about at the emptiness around him and gulped once. "Who's asking, friend?"

He looked confused a moment, trying to remember the name and then it dawned on him as his mind flashed to the business card....Grace. It had been a drunken stupor....yet he'd been with a woman and it was this Heaven's Gate where he'd secured her. He looked flushed at the question and nodded slightly.

"Aye....though only one that I can recall. You'll forgive me if I can't remember any others." He tapped the side of his temple softly and smiled a nervous smile, unsure what this man wanted. "I...forget things and may have been drinking a bit when I went. I remember paying...so not sure what this is about. I never got your name...?"

Noki's mien was stern as he regarded Rurutani over the distance that separated them. "It would be to your best interest to not return. Stay out of La Noscea. Don't venture near Heaven's Gate again. If you do, I cannot guarantee that you will come away from your encounter. . .unscathed."

He gazed at the man with a stern look, frowning with stress. Gods had he already gotten himself into danger and he'd barely left? He'd wished he had Kage with him....the two could have easily dealt with this man. But, alas, Ruru was alone and Moriarty lightly walked in a half circle as Ruru looked at the man.

"You didn't answer the question, friend. What's your name? And just to be clear....are you threatening me?"

Wewenoki took the reins in one hand and rested the other on his thigh. He leaned forward, eyes not once breaking contact with Rurutani. His voice was perfectly calm, though he had about him a commanding air. "I'm offering you friendly advice. It's to your best interests to stay out of La Noscea, and away from Heaven's Gate. Nothing bad will happen to you, that way. Do you understand?"

He spoke as if he hadn't heard Ruru's repeating questions, as if they hadn't been said at all.

Ruru knew the man was dangerous and knew enough to know when he was being threatened. And he also knew that if he tried anything he'd likely be dead. He cursed himself for leaving the city....for leaving his friend behind. Had he not, he'd be back in Ul'dah without this man staring him down. He'd be back, chatting with Aya in the Quicksand, or....

Her face flashed through his mind and he blinked hard to shake Liana from his mind.

He kept a straight face and nodded to the man.

"Aye....I'll keep that in mind, stranger. Suppose I should thank you for the...advice." The last word was dripping with sarcasm and his face remained etched in a serious look like he'd not worn in some time.

Staring at the man, Noki remained outwardly collected. Internally, he was fighting. Tabart had insinuated that they were to rough the man up a little, show him that they meant business. Yllaria was waiting for his signal for just that purpose -- but he didn't want to give it. Rurutani wasn't even headed towards anywhere near La Noscea, but towards Coerthas. Was beating him even necessary? Would it accomplish anything? Noki wasn't a thug. Tabart wasn't a thug. Jaded wasn't like that, had never been like that. Noki followed his orders, it was what he'd always done, but right then -- he made a command decision.

"See that you heed it. Heaven's Gate is trouble, as is her Mistress. I'd hate to see you stumble into a dangerous situation. Have a safe journey, friend."

Gods save you if you don't listen. I won't be able to do this a second time.

Keeping his eyes on Rurutani, hand free to cast if necessary, Noki urged his chocobo around the other man, in the direction of Ul'dah.

As the man passed him on his chocobo, Ruru turned and tried to study the details of the man, as much as he could recall, his lone eye staring hard. It had been a long time since he'd been outwardly threatened by anyone...the last having been his brother. Not even the one who took his eye had threatened him. That had been an accident.

This however....

He seethed and his face had gone a crimson flush of anger as he watched the man ride to Ul'dah. He sat for a moment, considering his options. He could follow and press the matter with the man, though he knew that was unwise as he had his gear and bags and was in no way prepared for a battle. Another option was to ride into Ul'dah and find Kage, maybe getting his help. But no....he didn't want to get Kage involved.....didn't want his friend getting hurt because Ruru couldn't keep it in his pants for a night.

He sighed and considered riding onward and then it came to him.

Grace.

He needed to speak to her. But she was in Limsa....he didn't care. He would take cover and discuss the matter with her. He wanted answers, even if it meant taking a risk. He turned Moriarty and headed west.

Toward the coast.

Toward Limsa and Heaven's Gate.

He sat against the railing of the small commissioned shhip heading for Limsa Lominsa and looked out at the calm sea waters with a soft smile. He was alone, but it was a peaceful moment for him and he savored it. The sea air felt good in his lungs and he considered why he'd not made a more permanant home out Limsa. He enjoyed the city and the seaside setting was actually rather appealing to his tastes.

But it all might not matter is he wound up dead.

He looked down at the robes in his hand and sighed. He wouldn't be able to walk openly into Limsa....not without trouble. He would have to keep a low profile, meaning he wouldn't be able to visit Suri either. The thought saddened him a bit. He hadn't seen her since their emotional talk outside of Bronze Lake and even the memory of that brought a tear to his eye that wiped away quickly. He regretted not seeing her since and made a mental note to try and find her soon to see how she was.

But this wasn't the time for that. He didn't want her getting hurt because of his mistakes. He gripped the robe tightly and headed inside to change. He needed to be ready when they finally docked. He meant to find Grace immediately and get to the bottom of whatever was happening.

Andralyn Thatcher lifts a shoulder, "It doesn't really matter one way or another, it is what it is."

Johnathan Winters smirks, then blinks as the lalafell approaches. "Hmm..."

Rurutani Sasatani looks at you in shock!

Andralyn Thatcher cants her head, offering a warm smile,"Hello, friend!"

Rurutani Sasatani: You.....we need to talk.

Rurutani Sasatani looks deadly serious though his face is mostly hidden by the cowl.

Andralyn Thatcher lifts a brow, motioning to the chair beside her, "Oh? Please, by all means, do sit down."

Andralyn Thatcher: "You seem troubled... delayed regret in our services?"

Johnathan Winters eyes the lalafell curiously, his gazetaking in every last ilm of the small man.

Rurutani Sasatani scans the area carefully before taking the seat offered. "Has nothing to do with that night.....or it does...but...hold on...let me explain."

Andralyn Thatcher folds her hands in her lap, sitting back in her chair as her legs cross at the knee, waiting.

Rurutani Sasatani leans in and whispers, tapping the table lightly as he looks at her. "I was threatened. Because I came here. The man who did...he all but warned me to stay out of Limsa and away from you. Now why should I have to worry about that? That was a one time meet..."

Andralyn Thatcher 's brow pulls together as she listens,"I can't begin to imagine why that would happen... Did you gather the man's name?"

Rurutani Sasatani shakes his head. He was big...wore a hat so I couldn't see his face. He meant business. Told me to stay away from here or there'd be trouble. I wasn't even thinking of coming back...was headed to Coerthas...he caught me on the road outside Ul'dah." He slams the table with his palm and curses. "Damn it.....I just want some peace..."

Andralyn Thatcher 's tongue moves over her teeth behind pursed lips, "Ul'dah, hm? And you're certain this has nothing to do with you? A scorned lover jealous over your choice of free time activity?"

Rurutani Sasatani shakes his head. "No....hespecifically mentioned this organization. His threat....it came because I was a client here. And no....if it was a scorned lover, it'd only be one and she'd cut my throat herself should she be so inclined."

Andralyn Thatcher moved her gaze to the mug in front of her,her foot beginning to flip in irritation under the table. "Hm." She gave John a sidelong look, "That's very unfortunate, sir. You do have my deepest apologies..." She trailed off as if mulling over her options.

Johnathan Winters shakes his head, "Melkire's property,not mine. Perhaps Bennett, if he's not otherwise busy at home..."

Rurutani Sasatani leans in and holds his mouth in a stern grimace. "I took a big risk coming here....whatever you think of doing...I need to be involved. I didn't appreciate the threat and I won't be barred from somewhere because someone's a got a bug up their arse about this business." He sounded frustrated.

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "Yes... " She turned her gaze back to the lalafell, "I am truly sorry that you seem to have been pulled into the middle of a small rivalry of sorts. "How childish of them to try and strong arm my clients. Tactless, pathetic..."

Johnathan Winters perks a brow at the lalafell, a small grin toying with his lips. "Feisty..."

Andralyn Thatcher grins and cants her head, "Do you fancy yourself capable in a fight?"

Rurutani Sasatani nods. "I was a hair from taking the Sultansworn trials in Ul'dah before I withdrew. I can handle a bow or a sword."

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "Good, very good." She shifts in her chair slightly, "Would you consider yourself a sword for hire then? You see... my success seems to have put a bee in the bonnets of a few other, lets say... lower quality houses."

Andralyn Thatcher: "They've taken to spreading nasty lies in regards to my companions and myself.. and now wish to scare off clients. I can't have it.. and I won't. This will not be tolerated."

Johnathan Winters blinks, "Client to muscle, Lady Grace? Seems a bit... backward."

Rurutani Sasatani nods and a grin forms on his face for the first time. "Aye....I'm currently...unemployed. I could use the coin...but I care more about being able to move about freely without having to wonder when that man will decide Limsa isn't enough."

Andralyn Thatcher smirks at the comment, "A skilled sword is a skilled sword, and a living client is one that can come back to a warm bed and familiar face whenever they wish."

Johnathan Winters shrugs, nodding to both of their statements. "Could always use more, I suppose."

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "Of course. Do you spend much time in Gridania?"

Rurutani Sasatani nods. "Aye...was my home for months as I trained with Archer's guild there."

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "Very good. We have a small situation arising there that I would be inclined to hire you for as well, but we're still gathering our information on that front. What of your prices?"

Rurutani Sasatani tilts his head a bit. "Hadn't thought of that. I'm fine. This one will do for free just because it's personal. Maybe later I'll consider the price."

Andralyn Thatcher smiles, "Your help is appreciated,but I do feel the need to contract is a necessary obligation, though one we can consent to later, certainly. In the mean time, I can offer you assistance, should you need it if you'd like." She moves her hand to a pocket on her belt, lifting from it a pearl and places it in front of him, "In case my friends decide to give you any more trouble."

Andralyn Thatcher lifts a shoulder, "You're free to take it or leave it, but I can guarantee assistance if it's requested in Thanalan or La Noscea."

Johnathan Winters nods at her words, looking to the lalafell with a smirk.

Rurutani Sasatani reaches out and slides the pearl to his own pocket and nods. "Aye....thank you Grace."

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "Thank you, friend. " She sits up, leaning into the table, "Can I offer you a night with one of our companions?" She smiled sweetly, "It's the least I can do for your offer of help."

Johnathan Winters smirks and crosses his arms, looking out at the rest of the patrons.

Rurutani Sasatani chuckles softly and shakes his head."I'm afraid not tonight. While I do enjoy the pleasure of the ladies, I am afraid I have other issues to attend to tonight. I'd prefer to mitigate the risk of something happening by getting away from Limsa for the night. Though I appreciate the offer.....'tis always one that I enjoy." He grins and nods.

Andralyn Thatcher nods, bowing her head slightly, "Very wise. Consider it an offer that will stand until your next convenience. "

Johnathan Winters glances over his shoulder with a smallfrown, mumbling to himself, "Foggy night, tonight..."

Rurutani Sasatani nods and grins. "My thanks....not something I'm likely to pass up next time."

Andralyn Thatcher: "I'm happy to hear it. Would you like an escort in your travels? Another blade to aid you on your way to your next destination?"

Rurutani Sasatani shakes his head. "I got in alone...I'll get out alone. Though again...I appreciate the offer. I will be in touch. And when you need me, let me know."

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "I will. Thank you again."

Rurutani Sasatani: And if you find anything out about ou rmutual problem....please let me know. I was not prepared last time....I'll be ready next time.

Andralyn Thatcher nods, "I can only surmise the man that you encountered works for a fellow named Tabart. He himself has never been a danger, but I fear he has someone behind him pulling strings. I will let you know more as needed.”

Rurutani Sasatani nods. "I appreciate it. I'll take my leave now. I look forward to hearing from you again. Stay safe." He glances to Johnathan and nods. "You as well."

Johnathan Winters looks back to the lalafell and offers a small bow, "A pleasure, sir."

"Safe travels." Andralyn bows courteously to Rurutani Sasatani.

Rurutani Sasatani: You as well, Grace.

Ruru tossed his gear to the side of the small inn room he'd secured outside of Limsa Lominsa. He didn't want to end up dead in his sleep and felt it better to keep a slight distance. The night sky had covered his travels well...or at least he hoped so. He tossed back the hood of his cowl and took a sip of water. Gods he wanted a drink of something stronger but knew he couldn't. He needed his wits about him.

He went over the meeting with Grace in head and felt that he'd made his point. He was eager to help and was glad to have made the offer. She had asked about a contract and fees, but he was a simple man who hadn't really ever worried about that stuff. That had always been Nonotano's area. He closed his eyes and laughed a bit as he sat on the side of the bed.

Aye, he'd postured a bit before Grace and the man Johnathan, but he'd needed to make sure they took him seriously. He laid back in the bed crossing an arm over his forehead and the other at his side as he stared at the ceiling. He needed them to take him seriously.

he needed this because he intended to meet the stranger who threatened him again. He intended to show that man that he was not easily threatened. He closed his eye and began to drift to sleep, concentrating on remembering the man's features from what he could see.

And as he fell asleep the last thought that went through his head was  imagining not the stranger under his boot heel; no....it was the man Grace had mentioned.

The man named Tabart.

Windows were Zhavi's friend, even when their location was not. Few took to climbing as well as she, and as a result, the security of windows was not something as well established as that of doors. So it was she slipped inside one Ruru's window while he slept, muttering to herself under her breath about those who could sleep so easily, and those who could not.

It was almost morning. The sun was on the horizon, and Zhi wanted in and gone before it could start its daily ritual of blinding her with all of Azeyma's cruel blessings. Scaby whore that she was.

But still, Zhi had no desire to get herself killed. She lingered on the sill, body tense and ready to drop if she absolutely had to. She wouldn't hit the ground or anything so dramatic, but it would hurt.

"Hey," she hissed, rapping her knuckles against the wood sill. "Hey, Ruru-whatever-yer-name-is!"

If she'd anyone she could afford to send, she would have. Oh how she hated being out of her city!

The dream was simple....he was walking along the path between Ul'dah and Horizon. The air and sun were peaceful and he was a child again with both eyes and his family. It was a dream he'd longed to have for so long and he was happy to see the image. The footsteps were soft as he plodded along, rap rap rap. The image distorted a bit and yet he continued walking his footsteps making the familiar rap rap rap sound as if against wood and he heard the voice mewling from a distance "Hey Ruru-whatever-yer-name-is" ----

He snapped awake, grabbing for his sword that lay under his pillow and gasped looking around the room seeing no one for a moment and then up he saw her, the female Miqo'te, gray skinned and a shocking turn in appearance than the ladies he was used to seeing in Ul'dah. She looked like a common thief and he held the sword up pointing at her, trying to get himself under control.

"Stay back or I'll run you through woman. Who are you and why are you in my room?" He hissed trying not to draw attention from outside and shakily holding the sword up while trying to wake himself up fully.

Zhi leaned back, eyes moving to the sword and then to the arm that held it. Wariness stiffened and loosened the muscles in her own body. "Easy," she muttered.

The sword almost glowed in the darkness, catching moonlight from the window and reflecting it. It looked sharp to Zhi -- but then again, most blades did to her. She'd sure been cut by enough of them to treat all edged weapons with the respect they deserved, especially when someone other than her was holding one. Someone who was said to be competent with his blade.

"Look, I ain't got moren' a bell, an' in th'whole o'things yer not that important, so I squeezed ye in. Can't help it I'm boxed in by daytrippers," the last was muttered. "I'm workin' fer Thatcher -- Lady Grace, whatever ye reckon her as. Heard ye were threatened by one o' Tabart's boys. I need t'hear th'details."

Her eyes were drawn to the blade. "Wi'out th'naked steel, thank ye kindly." Her voice was dry enough to catch fire.

He stared hard at the woman and when she said the words "Thatcher....or Lady Grace..." he relaxed a bit. He slightly lowered the blade and stood to get a better look at her and allowing himself to be a better defensive posture should she turn on him. When she mentioned Tabart he glared hard and grimaced in slight anger. He nodded downward from where she was at. "Come down here and we can talk."

He still didn't trust her. He didn't know her....she could easily be working for Tabart and so while he lowered his guard a bit, he remained alert. "I'm going to lower the sword....so we can talk. Just know this....should you try anything....it'll be the last move you ever make." He lay the sword next to him on the bed and waited for her to come down as he stood against the wall.

There was some hesitation when he didn't put the sword away, but soon enough a rueful grin followed: he'd be a fool to put it away, and it'd be a problem if he was one. So she closed the shutters without latching them, plunging the room back into its twilight. It didn't bother her, of course. He was the one at a disadvantage.

She made no move to close the distance between them, though she did take a couple steps inside. "Ye can call me Kink," she said, wondering how fast he could move. "Ye lookin' t'be found by Tabart's boys?"

"Kink" It was clearly a nickname because he'd never met a Miqo'te with a moniker like that before in his days. He didn't like twilight the room was in but figured if this woman had truly wanted him dead, she'd have done it while he slept rather than risk a scuffle by waking him. He relaxed a bit and when she asked, he shook his head. "Of course I don't want to be found. But if they want to find me, let them. I'm not afraid of them and I'm certainly not afraid of this Tabart either."

"I ain't th'only one in the city what can slip into a room quiet-like, flitter-mouse." The criticism was implicit, and Zhi intended for it to become explicit -- but her own needs came first. "I heard ye met wi'Thatcher. Ye on her rolls now?"

Her tail was lashing back and forth behind her.

He knew what she meant and shook his head. "I'm not running. Not from some thugs who decided to threaten me." He pointed at his eyepatch. "You see that? The one who did that... she didn't issue a threat. When my brother cut me and tried to kill me....he didn't issue a threat. Those people are dangerous people. I've found in my life...." He sighed and shook his head, continuing, "....the one's issuing threats are the ones not in a position to do so."

He considered her question and nodded slightly. "Aye....at least verbally agreed to. Still have to write paperwork."