The Dark Side of Security Tokens

EDIT: Issue resolved.  I think.  Finally got through to Customer Service.

Note: If this is in the wrong subforum, Freelance, then please correct my mistake.

Now, on to business.  Having had an account scare some time back, I decided to go for the one-time password thing.  I downloaded the security token app and things have been great so far.

I did a software update on my phone this morning and when I went to open the app, it wanted me to re-register, complete with a registration code.  I come to find I can unlink and then re-register the app with some code from the SE account management page, but I can't access my account without the very one-time password that I cannot access.

I submitted a customer service ticket, but despite this being business hours, they claim that chat services are unavailable.  So, I tried to submit another for phone contact, but this time they won't allow me to submit a ticket without first logging into my account, which you will recall I have no access to.

So essentially, tl;dr, to regain access to my one-time password, I need a one-time password which I cannot get without having a one-time password.

I feel like I've fallen down an electo-bureaucratic hole of absurd contradictions and impossible irreconcilability.

HALP PLOX!

EDIT: Hah, seems I hit post just as you got ahold of Customer Service. I'll leave this here, though, cause this is bound to happen to someone else.

A friend of my husband is going through the same thing... however, the guy is too stubborn to get on the phone and actually call SE; he'd rather complain for hours about a service he's paying for but can't access. Which is likely exactly what you'll have to do:

Sit on the phone for a few hours until you get through the CS queue.

They CAN verify your account without you logging into the Mog Station or SE's site (when my husband's account was hijacked, SE utterly locked down his account for over a month but they could access it whenever he called); they'll ask you account information and for you to email a picture of your ID to prove ownership. Once they verify your ownership, they can remove the code for you.

Once you get that taken care of and get your account back, when you put the security token back on you need to remember to save the emergency removal code in a place where you can access in case of another phone update, loss of phone, etc. This was actually part of the instructions given when you set up the token ( >___>; sorry...). I have mine saved on my desktop, in one of the cloud services I use (in case of both iPod and laptop failure/loss), and onto an external harddrive.

On the bright side... this SHOULD help prove that the security token concept does work; you can't access it until you get that authorization code or prove ownership to SE <_<

Indeed if you don't have the emergency removal code saved (apparently like they tell you but I did everything from installing FFXIV to making an account and a character within 1 hour so I didn't pay attention), and you have this type of issue the only thing you -can- do is call Customer Service.

If you do use a token and DO NOT HAVE YOUR EMERGENCY REMOVAL SAVED YOU.... YOU NEED TO FIX THAT AND YOU CAN!

If you sign into your account, you can view the fact that you have your token and it will show you the emergency removal code.

Yeah, I got myself into that mess.  It's like my mom always used to tell me, "Always read the instructions, Goodfellow*."

But, it did get resolved, the system clearly works (almost too well), and the rep I communicated was only polite, prompt, and helpful.  My advice to anyone dealing with SE Customer Support is swallow your frustration and treat them like people.  They are way more timely and helpful that way.

*Not my real name.