Character Creation Guide

One of the first things I often get asked by newer roleplayers is where they should start with their character backstories, personalities, or if I know of any good character sheet templates. Ash’s Guide to RPG Personality & Background is by far the most complete character sheet guide I have ever found. The personality aspects it makes you think about are quite extensive. 

Some folks hate creation systems and prefer things to be more organic and that is lovely if that is how you like to do it! But for some, they enjoy the perspectives that detailed guides make you consider when you go through them. This is the best one I have ever seen.

When it comes to character background, I use 3 links:

D&D Dice Roller

The dice roller is for these 2 links, which I tend to mix to really work out a character's details:

Background Generator 1

Background Generator 2

Then using the timeline of this game, I figure we are in the year after the start of ARR which coincides with the story, making the year 1578. The Calamity happened in the year 1572. I then take the backgrounds generated, and try to work them into the timeline. From childhood, on up.

When it comes to character background, I use 3 links:

D&D Dice Roller

The dice roller is for these 2 links, which I tend to mix to really work out a character's details:

Background Generator 1

Background Generator 2

Then using the timeline of this game, I figure we are in the year after the start of ARR which coincides with the story, making the year 1578. The Calamity happened in the year 1572. I then take the backgrounds generated, and try to work them into the timeline. From childhood, on up.

Ah, interesting. I have heard of people using dice generators but have never done it myself. It is too much out of my control. :P

• 2 months later...