Fresh off the boat! (Well, sorta!)

Rynt

Hail, RPC!

My name's Rynt, and I'm new to Balmung, but I've been around FFXIV since the beta last year, playing on Diabolos. Over there, I play a little bit of everything mechanics-wise, but most of my combat experience lies as a Scholar. I also run a small, tight-knit FC with mostly RL friends and a few people we picked up along the way. But for awhile I've been itching to get back into some role playing, so I decided to come try every morning (eastern time) for three days to make a character on Balmung and what do you know: my patience paid off!

Prior to my life in Eorzea, I spent a good year and a half in Tyria playing Guild Wars 2, a lot of that with a role playing guild on Ehmry Bay, and that was my first RP experience. Since I work as a sound technician and sound designer for theatre, I always thought I had enough make-believe, but I really enjoyed it. 

I was never too serious about it, and I doubt I'll be going heavily into detail now, but this time around I'd like to actually create something of a story for myself and see it how it plays out with others--which is more than I ever did in GW2.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know people and creating a good second home on Balmung. My character-- Rynt Fox-- is a merchant's son just starting out his adventuring in Limsa and seems to be getting the hang of the axe. I have some other thoughts, but I think I want to do some of the exercises I've seen on the site so I can solidify my ideas first. ;)

So yeah! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing you in game!

Perseverance: always a good trait to see in a fellow rper. :) Welcome to the RPC!

Sound tech! I once knew a girl who did that as a quasi-job thing for her local theater. She had the best stories. Do you have the best stories? I expect great stories from you -- don't let me down.

LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA. Let me steal you, or something. I have a thing for Limsa. What sort of merchant? Totes legit, or does he do some dealing under the table, too? I'm curious for, you know, reasons.

(I'm hooked on italics today)

Sound tech!  I once knew a girl who did that as a quasi-job thing for her local theater.  She had the best stories.  Do you have the best stories?  I expect great stories from you -- don't let me down.

Oh, I have plenty of stories that I've accrued--some funny, some terrifying, some tragic. Usually a combination thereof. Like the 22-hour work day going between five different shows, or the time a show I was stage managing for almost burned down the theater. :bomb:

LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA. Let me steal you, or something. I have a thing for Limsa. What sort of merchant? Totes legit, or does he do some dealing under the table, too? I'm curious for, you know, reasons.

Haha, I've always had a thing for Limsa too... 

His father is a supplier of goods for the tradesmen of Limsa. Mostly shepherding goods over from Thanalan for the blacksmiths and armorers. I'd have to say that Rynt probably doesn't know a whole lot about the family business though. Nich, his older brother, was always better with numbers. But he does remember going with his father to meetings in the lower parts of the city back when he was younger. ;)

Thank you everyone, for your welcomes! :D

Aya, I'm sure I'll find my way to the Quicksand eventually!

Sound tech!  I once knew a girl who did that as a quasi-job thing for her local theater.  She had the best stories.  Do you have the best stories?  I expect great stories from you -- don't let me down.

Oh, I have plenty of stories that I've accrued--some funny, some terrifying, some tragic. Usually a combination thereof. Like the 22-hour work day going between five different shows, or the time a show I was stage managing for almost burned down the theater. :bomb:

You're a terrible tease, you know.

LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA LIMSA. Let me steal you, or something. I have a thing for Limsa. What sort of merchant? Totes legit, or does he do some dealing under the table, too? I'm curious for, you know, reasons.

Haha, I've always had a thing for Limsa too... 

His father is a supplier of goods for the tradesmen of Limsa. Mostly shepherding goods over from Thanalan for the blacksmiths and armorers. I'd have to say that Rynt probably doesn't know a whole lot about the family business though. Nich, his older brother, was always better with numbers. But he does remember going with his father to meetings in the lower parts of the city back when he was younger. ;)

Thank you everyone, for your welcomes! :D

Aya, I'm sure I'll find my way to the Quicksand eventually!

If you're ever interested in your character visiting that lowtown area again, you just say the word and I will stalk you for rp. :D

Awwww I didn't mean to go up against Zhavi!

Have to come to Ul'dah to see Aya though and all the fun and cloak and daggers we have!!!  ^^

Hahaha, most people are able to spread rp throughout the three cities. I just wanted to make sure he knew the opportunity to get shanked involved as a merchant in that sector was available.

You're a terrible tease, you know.

Yup. ;)

I'll give you the first one:

Sound is generally a really small department. Just because the company you work for is putting on tons of shows simultaneously doesn't mean that they necessarily hire extra people to help. I was working at an outdoor theatre one summer, and we'd already opened the main show that ran the whole summer, the big kids show, and the two smaller kids shows. Last in line was the big side show, Wizard of Oz.

So we hit tech rehearsals (addition of all lighting, sound, and scenic elements) and I found myself designing Oz and keeping the other four things running simultaneously, so my day went like this:

3:00 PM: Set up two small kids shows.

4:00 PM: Run kids shows.

5:00 PM: Put away kids' shows.

5:30 PM: Set up main show.

7:30 PM: Begin main show.

11:00 PM: Main show ends/set up for tech.

12:00 AM: Begin tech.

6:00 AM: End tech (because it's an outdoor theater, the sunrise made us stop) and have a meeting. A really. Long. Meeting.

7:30 AM: Break! Sleep on the floor of an attic storage room for 20 minutes!

8:00 AM: Set up for big kids' show.

9:00 AM: Begin big kids' show.

11:00 AM: Put everything away.

11:30 AM: Take care of notes and problems from the tech last night.

1:00 PM: "End" of day!

--

1:15 PM: Sleep. In a bed this time!

4:00 PM: Wake up.

4:30 PM: Oh, right. Food.

5:30 PM: Set up main show

etc...

It was only that bad Tuesday and Thursday that week. The big kids show was only Tuesday through Thursday and the small shows were only Tuesday and Thursday. But hey-- once you've done it, every other work day seems small by comparison!

If you're ever interested in your character visiting that lowtown area again, you just say the word and I will stalk you for rp.  :D

I may well take you up on that. He's been quite intrigued by the rumors going around of this underground group that specializes in a new form of fighting... But as you say, Zhavi, I'm sure his father or brother will find some reason to send him to both the lowtown of Limsa and the streets of Ul'Dah in good time. I'm sure he'll look you up when he runs in that direction. You seem like the sort who would totally have his best interests at heart!

Yup. ;)

I'll give you the first one:

Sound is generally a really small department. Just because the company you work for is putting on tons of shows simultaneously doesn't mean that they necessarily hire extra people to help. I was working at an outdoor theatre one summer, and we'd already opened the main show that ran the whole summer, the big kids show, and the two smaller kids shows. Last in line was the big side show, Wizard of Oz.

So we hit tech rehearsals (addition of all lighting, sound, and scenic elements) and I found myself designing Oz and keeping the other four things running simultaneously, so my day went like this:

3:00 PM: Set up two small kids shows.

4:00 PM: Run kids shows.

5:00 PM: Put away kids' shows.

5:30 PM: Set up main show.

7:30 PM: Begin main show.

11:00 PM: Main show ends/set up for tech.

12:00 AM: Begin tech.

6:00 AM: End tech (because it's an outdoor theater, the sunrise made us stop) and have a meeting. A really. Long. Meeting.

7:30 AM: Break! Sleep on the floor of an attic storage room for 20 minutes!

8:00 AM: Set up for big kids' show.

9:00 AM: Begin big kids' show.

11:00 AM: Put everything away.

11:30 AM: Take care of notes and problems from the tech last night.

1:00 PM: "End" of day!

--

1:15 PM: Sleep. In a bed this time!

4:00 PM: Wake up.

4:30 PM: Oh, right. Food.

5:30 PM: Set up main show

etc...

It was only that bad Tuesday and Thursday that week. The big kids show was only Tuesday through Thursday and the small shows were only Tuesday and Thursday. But hey-- once you've done it, every other work day seems small by comparison!

.....a meeting rather than sleeping? Nice to know some things never change no matter where you work! Jiminy cricket though, respect. Anyone who works long shifts like that deserves cookies and pie.

But was it worth it?

I may well take you up on that. He's been quite intrigued by the rumors going around of this underground group that specializes in a new form of fighting... But as you say, Zhavi, I'm sure his father or brother will find some reason to send him to both the lowtown of Limsa and the streets of Ul'Dah in good time. I'm sure he'll look you up when he runs in that direction. You seem like the sort who would totally have his best interests at heart!

Only the very best. Why, Zhi has a heart of pure gold, I tell you!

Hello, Rynt! It's good to have you here! :D I'm always glad to make new friends and RP buddies so feel free to say hello or send a tell if you see me around!