Made weak by time and fate.... (open - OOC feedback welcomed/needed))

As he held the glass for her to take, his linkpearl on the table began to pulse light and buzz. Handing her the cup he stood and walked over, grabbing the pearl, "Go ahead..... Its none of your business where I have been.... Tell them I will be there when I can be." Lowering his hand he returned to the bed, his hand running through her raven hair, "I have to go."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yangh watched the man leave, then began sipping at her tea. She didn't eat the bread, it wasn't nightfall yet. After she finished the tea she rolled over and went back to sleep.

She figured Menphina would understand, she'd been singing her praises all night, after all.

[]

The young Lalafell offered the sealed envelope to the Flame Captain, always something needing his attention. Since arriving he had been ushered into three meetings, gone over countless documents, and of course made the arrangements for his soldier's funeral.

Gathering what he needed he began to make the walk home. On Onyx where he had lived for years he passed his old house. Opening the door the smell of dust hit his nose as he tapped the crystal on the wall bringing up the lights. All the furniture was draped with white sheets. He was in the process of moving to the RWHQ, after the events leading to his capture he no longer felt safe in the house, despite the fact that he had allowed himself to be. He allowed Lenna to live with her godsparents until the house had been moved. Tellah, Fen, most of the furniture, and all of his personal valuables and documents had already made their way to the headquarters. The house seemed haunted, quiet and echoing. Looking in the front room storage he found that one of Montblanc's wagons were still there. Setting his paperwork in the wagon, he sent his mammet on to the Goblet, wanting a few minutes in this place. As he walked from room to room he wandered back through good memories.... until a sound interrupted his thoughts.

[]

Erik slipped through the house like a snake moving through a garden. Quieter then his large frame hinted possible. As he made his way to the opened door of his study, his study was never left open. Holding his blade out toward the door, he used the reflective part show him what he needed to see. "Such a dramatic entrance Cousin." said the voice from the room.

[]

Erik stepped into the study, his blade glowing a strange light. Sitting on his desk is Doctor Ombre Fortemps, the man who had tortured him personally for three months. Ombre turned from him now unconcerned, "That book Cousin. The one you grabbed in my lab, have you seen it?"

The book, Erik had taken it as he made his escape weeks before. He had read it and had tried to come to terms with it. In its pages of madness there were parts that explained his wish to harm the Sultansworn. Ombre's father and Erik's mother shared the same father, Ombre's father being older and from a marriage. But his siring of the mixed Heather had ruined him, sending his wife and child into destitution. Ombre, who grew up with the name Fortemps was all to aware of how his impoverished and shameful life had come from Heather being born. Though his research into the void crystals did require those of mixed blood, Erik he made sure was at the top of the list.

Without more then a smile, Ombre drew a long musket and fired both barrels, "Do you like it Erik? I bought it in Limsa, so elegant really, he said as he reloaded and began to shoot again. As the shots began Erik dove into the hall, splinters and chunks of wood flying past his face. "I am so glad I am selling this place, and you are a terrible guest!" shouted Erik from the hallway. Nothing but his father's sword and shield with him he tried several times to draw his armor from the aether, but nothing, "Son of a bitch Ombre! Did you bring that shit in here? I will make you eat it!" Ombre laughed, spinning the necklace with its dark purple jem, "As if I would face you without it. I don't use aether at all so this little one won't hurt me, and definitely not a big man like you, but it does even the field a bit!" he shouted as he fired a renewed volley into the door and surrounding wall, laughing as he fired and fired until stopping to reload. Erik's shoulder was bleeding, upper leg too. The shoulder was a graze he was sure, but the leg was an issue. Blood was coming fast and the reload wasn't giving him much time. He tore his coat, taking strips to tie off the leg as he counted, slowly. "Do you know Erik, I have hated you my whole life, I mean the whole thing. Can you imagine the focus that gave me." Opening fire again the wall around the door crumbling to dust. Erik ducked down as best as he could, his shield little help... left side, one or two ribs broken... a flashing moment as a bullet grazes his temple, stunning him for a moment. As the shots continued Erik stood, breathing deliberately. Stopped, the reload, "Shit." he whispered as he flew around the corner, his shield not guided by aether, but flung non the less. Ombre ducked, standing as Erik reached him, his blade inches before the gun's barrel rested on the left side of his torso. Erik looked up into Ombre's face, his blade held by the butt of the gun, "Counting second to reload? You have to remember to count the bullets too." A shot roared from the barrel, shredding through his abdomen. As he slumped forward he heard the laughter, and he hated him.

Against the pain Erik regained his footing, ignoring the blood pouring forth. His large hand reached out and grabbed the elezen by both surprise and by the long hair of his head. The laughter of the man melted to fear instantly as Erik, his hair undone and wild, covered in blood, rolled them both over, sitting on top of the madman, holding his skull steady by his hair as his massive fists came down again, and again, and again. He wasn't sure what stopped it, the fact that Ombre was long dead, his skull crushed, or the dizziness overtaking Erik. He laid in the puddle that was once his cousin and laughed as he tugged at his coat to put pressure on his side. He laid there and felt satisfied that at least he had settled things. As he drifted to sleep he knew he wasn't going to die, he never got that lucky. He new he would wake up to someone scolding him for being reckless..... "Ugh...." he whined as he drifted into the black.

The squeaking was unending, words made of clicks, grinding, and whistles. Erik opened his eyes to see his Mammet standing on his chest, fussing and slapping him with its tiny metal hands, "Halone..... I knew I would awake to someone fussing at me." Erik took Montblanc by the collar of its metal jacket and sat him on the floor, patting it on the head as he sat up slowly. "I was hoping for a pretty face this time. Oh well." he grunted as he pulled himself to his to feet, taking note of every spike of pain. He turned and looked at Ombre, not something he wanted Siha tripping over if she came by to do a walk through. The pain was pretty bad, he didn't feel like this mess. Sighing he kicked the body, "Asshole, could not wait a few days to be a bother could you?" He looked over at Montblanc, "Grab a few sheets off the furniture and bring them in here, then go get Fury from the HQ. Bring the cart."

As the mammet saluted and ran out the door Erik followed then diverted toward the master washroom. He touched the crystal on the wall for the light, and the one faucet. Walking to a cabinet and opened it, punching a hole in the back, he pulled a large bag through the hole, widening the hole as he pulled. Setting the bag on the counter he limped back to the study. Montblanc had gotten the sheets like he asked. Layering them on the floor he rolled Ombre on to the, his injuries and the slick blood making it harder then it needed to be. Finally done he wrapped the body and tied it up. He stood and looked at the overall mess. "Shit..... this is for later." he left shaking his head.

Back in the washroom he removed his torn and bloody uniform. Slipping off first his gloves and coat, he grabbed the cord in his hair and let it fall over his eyes. Turning he looked at himself in the full length mirror, counting the holes. He removed the rest of his clothing and washed the blood from his hands. Opening the panic bag, a bag most operatives kept hidden in their homes for such events, it contained a few changes of clothes, first aid kits, gil, and a strong spirit. Opening the kit and bottle of rum he drew out a long pair of tongs and drank a long drink before pouring the alcohol over the large tweezers. Sitting on the edge of his tub he first started with his thigh. The hole was rather small but the bruise around it was not. He untied the tourniquet and to his relief it didn't seem to bleed any faster. Slowly he slit the metal fingers into the hole of his leg. Trying not to cry out he focused on the task, listening for the sound of metal on metal. "No different then a small arrowhead." he whispered under heavy breathing. Hearing the sound finally he moved to catch the bullet and drew it out. He had seen these things pulled from bodies in Limsa before, they were notably different from gunblade rounds. Smaller, made from iron, little more then small cannon balls. Tossing it on the counter he reached into the wound again and felt around, making sure there were no little bits left. That done he stood, the pain was there but different as the blood move a bit faster from his leg. Moving to the mirror he looked at his cheek and head to check the graze there. He took a rag and wet it, wiping the blood from the wound he cleaned it. Then taking a needle and medical thread and began to stitch the wound, then repeating the process with his shoulder, forearm, and a few other places. Ending with the bullet wound. Stitching the inner flesh as well as the outer he finished the rum quickly. He would have to make sure and let Alexei check to be sure he had stitched the wounds correctly.

Checking twice to be sure he had not missed anything, he climbed into the shower. The water was cool, but still burned where he bled. Carefully he washed the blood from him. Soon after he was finished and stepped out to dress before he did he glanced at the mirror, so many scars. He sighed and set about packing the wound on the side of his torso and wrapping it. It bled through almost immediately. He sighed and shook is head as he pulled the fresh clothes and boots from the bag, he would have to get that worked on sooner rather then later. He turned and left the washroom. As he walked to the study he looked out the window to see Montblanc sitting on Fury's head, the cart attached to the great bird. He also noted the early sun in the sky. He had been out all night.

Lifting the wrapped body Erik growled. Looking down and her noticed the brown fabric of his trousers over his stitched wound and the side of his shirt had become black and damp with blood during the lift. Ignoring it he continued and carried the body to the cart. Both the mammet and the chocobo looked at him, looks of concern and scolding in their eyes. Erik shook his head and walked back into the house, "Is it to much to ask? One pretty face..." After half an hour he exited the house carrying his panic bag and several sacks. He had cleaned the study and washroom, tossing the sacks into the cart he climbed into the driver seat of the cart and drove for the gate of Nald.

An hour outside the gate and the cart came to a halt. Nearly to the border of Eastern Thanalan unloaded the bound body from the cart. He had the good sense to stop in Black Brush to buy a shovel he thought as he began to dig, his wounds and the heat both not much in the way of help. Once done he unceremoniously kicked his cousin's corpse into the hole and filled it in. He looked out as he did and noted the various species of antlions who had become very interested in what he was burying. He smiled a wicked smile at the thought and continued. Once finished he sat on the cart for a minute, his leg and side bleeding through his clothes. Collecting himself for a minute he snapped the reins and began for Ul'dah.

Soon returning to the gates, Erik could not take the bumps of the ride any further. Sending the two and the cart back to the Goblet, Erik entered the city. Having the sense to change his clothes again, he had used both emergency sets of clothes. "I need to remake the panic bag." he thought, trying to think of this and that while trying not to think on the pain. He made his way to the Quicksand, grateful it was so close to the gate. He would sit and rest for a time, then seek out Alexei. He was angrier more over having lost his linkpearl then he was he had been shot. Sitting down at a table, not his normal stool he ordered water. Once that had come he ordered soup and mint tea. With his wounds and the heat he knew killing the pain would add to the Doctor's work.

The soup and tea sat well. As he slowly leaned back in the seat he exhaled as slow as possible. The pain was manageable, made only better by satisfaction. He had grown to hate Ombre so deeply that such hate he had, only one other had earned it. Reaching into his pocket he drew a blood-caked book of notes. "So he was after you. Despite his insanity I doubt he would have been so brazen as to actually walk into my home, let alone the city." Pealing the pages he studied the notes. He recognized several of them in relation to void crystals and void theory. But other then recognition of ideas, he was lost. He was no expert in the void other then when it came to slaying voidsent creatures. He would need an expert. From his other pocket he drew a small silver box. He had given his late wife her ring from this box, but now the ring rested in his desk. The silver would block and contain the void gem his cousin had worn around his neck. He looked at the box, careful to not open it. Slipping it into his pocket he continued to read the book, waiting until when he knew Alexei would be awake to bother him.

It was getting on in the morning and Erik readied to leave, finishing the page he read. He almost closed the book when a name jumped off the page, hitting him like the bullet he had dug out..... Holly. Erik's eyes followed the notes the madman had written, full of odd ramblings and directions to turn to another page only to find another direction to move to another. Finally the arrow from her name lead through five different pages, coming to rest on a chart of Erik's maternal-grandfather's prodigy. Erik read the chart, finding his name he saw a line connecting to his late wife leading to his daughter's name, circled in dark ink. His eyes widened further as he followed a second line from his name to Holly's, a connecting line leading to a question mark, circled. A tiny note scratched into the page below the question mark, "Name and location unknown, birth confirmed, current status unknown." The chair Erik sat in and the table before him flew as he bolted up, the chair nearly striking a Lalafell as he entered. Holding the book in his hand, Erik shook. There would be no time for Alexei. Erik turned to the barmaid, handing her a handful of gil, for the food and the table, and dashed for the door.

-----

~ Seventeen Years Earlier - Ul'dah ~

The shouting could be heard in the streets. A modest home on Onyx street, and no peace to be found. "I do not understand what has gotten into you lately. I come home and we fight, I go you your house and we fight! It is out of no where!" shouted the boy. Younger, shaggy hair, so few scars. "By the twelve Holly! Where is it coming from?" The woman had a fire in her eye, her arms crossed her body, from one angle defiant, from another broken, "I... I don't need a reason for feeling this way Erik! I don't like what you do, I never did!" she shouted. She bit hard into her lip, keeping her mask of anger. "I don't like that cloak in the room, I don't like that damn pearl going off at all hours of the day and night! I hate when Cien comes by because I don't know if he's visiting or picking you up for days at a time!" Erik sat at the table now, "Holly, I understand, but you need to also. What I do is important. How am I suppose to marry you broke? You still want to do you not?" he said glancing at the ring on her finger. "Married! How do you plan to marry me! Raise children......" She paused momentarily, collecting herself, "You vanish for days, return with blood on your boots!" Erik stood and turned his back, "I am a soldier!" She snapped back, "My father was a soldier! Soldiers have orders! If they leave in the middle of the night, you hear about why the next day! I never hear anything when you vanished, not a fucking thing!" Erik turned to face her, pleading in his eyes, "If you think I am seeing someone else I sw....." She cut him off, "I know you're not! Twelve that would be so much better. Everyone knows what the Hall of Records does Erik! You go in and out of there all the time! And you have the balls to tell me you and Montblanc just deliver papers! Fully armed with Cian and his spear in tow?!? I'm not stupid! I sleep next to you! You shout in your sleep!" She almost lost it, tears fell but she stopped them, her voice going soft, "I... I don't want to do this. I love you, you know that right? I'm just worried." Erik softened and moved to hold her, only to be stopped by her outstretched hand, "No.... can you.. can you just give me a little time. I don't know what exactly you do, but I have a pretty good idea. Its so dangerous... you so love your danger.... and I don't want to get one of those letters one day." She was quiet for a long time, then, "What if we had children? I lost my dad while he fought, and mom didn't hold out after him. And your parents too. Do you really want our children going through that? You could walk away, I know you're not in to deep that you can't leave... not yet. Leave the Flames, come and work with me in the mines. You were apprenticed before you came here. You could make as much if not more then you do now. We could even move out of this damned city. They're starting a huge project near Black Brush, it would be perfect." Erik shook his head, "Holly, I cannot do that, I am needed here, and all this talk of......." He was interrupted by the pearl in his year. "Yes Sir?... I can be there right away..... Yes Sir." Lowering his finger he turned fearfully toward Holly. Her blue eyes closed as though she had found enlightenment. "Holly.... I hav..." She silenced him simply by opening her eyes, "It's fine baby. Go, they need you. We can talk when you get back.

As she watched him turn the corner she crumpled to the ground. She only allowed herself a moment. She walked to the master washroom to wash her face. As she finished, she turned to leave and caught herself in the body length mirror. Pulling the front of her shirt to just below her breast, sh touched her stomach with her free hand. Tears welled as she gently rubbed her stomach, sobbing as she lowered herself to the floor. It was that moment that the frustration took hold. Taking a bag from the cabinet she went back into the room and grabbed whatever she thought she would need. As she reached the front door she removed the ring from her finger and went to sit it on the table... but could not. Slipping into her pocket she left the house. Erik never saw her again.

~Seventeen years earlier - Ul'dah~

It had been two days when since he had left. Walking in he called to her. She had been so distant lately, he was to young to understand. Not the man most knew, he was a boy, no stranger to immaturity. He wandered the house calling to her, but there was no answer. The extra room was open, a note on the desk. He walked in, looking about he thought the room perfect for the study he was wanting, just another thing she seemed against, so scared and angry he couldn't understand why. The note was simple and heartbreaking. As he leaned against the wall he found himself sliding down the wall. As he reached the end he thought about how much he loved her. He knew it was his fault, but he wasn't sure how. All he wanted was to chase after her, but it was forbidden to him. She was clear with the last line of the letter, "Part of me will always love you, but just let me become somebody that you use to know." As the sun set outside, all he could do is cry, the house seemed so lonely.

[align=center]~~~~~~~~

Intermission

~~~~~~~~[/align]

Been writing these last few posts with this song, on the advice of a good friend that use to be someone I use to know. I love this group, and the guy is a dead on to how I picture 17 year old Erik, shortieh wild hair, green eyes, that nose, and not quite muscular but heading that way.

[align=center][video=youtube]

[/align]

Confronted by Osric, Zac, and Lei, Erik soon found himself in their care. While they set about sitting him and checking his wounds, Alexei was called. Setting things right medically, as apposed to how Erik had done it, he began to feel better. While the Doctor did his work, a foreign born Sultansworn joined their ranks named Bartolomeo Filangieri. After much convincing Erik decided to wait a few days to recover before going out to search. Giving Leilani the silver box and his key, she placed the void pendent in his drawer safe. Once it was all said and done Erik simply slept for the day, heading to the Hall of Flames that night to report his need to have a few days off. From there he headed toward the Quicksand.

((Just a quick..... well more a quick update rather then post. I'll add more later today with a nice post.))

It was two days he realized when he awoke to the sound of birds outside his window. He stood and looked in the mirror, his bandaging was fresh, and there was considerably less then he had remembered seeing before, only a wrap around his midsection and his thigh, the Doctor had been in to see him. He smiled, touched by the concern.He stood slowly, testing the leg, first by standing on it, then slowly hopping in place. The pain was sharp, but he wasn't sure if it was the injury or simply stiffness. Looking again into the mirror he noticed his undone hair and his quickly growing beard. He bathed and rimmed his beard. He found bandages, left by Alexei he assumed. He looked at the wounds before re-wrapping them, they both looked better at least.

Once that was done he dressed in his short pants and running shoes. There was only one cure for stiffness and a cluttered head. Leaving the headquarters quietly he stopped. He wrote a note of thanks and left it on his desk in the lobby, naming Alexei, Osric, Zac, and Lei. He then left to run.

At first it hurt.... it really hurt, but after a bit the pain eased. "Stiffness then." he muttered as he pushed on. Reaching the gate connecting the Goblet and Ul'dah, he continued to run. Jogging down the main road, he turned down the Ruby Exchange. The two days in bed had made him soft he thought as he sat down on one of the benches. He let his mind go clear as he watched the people going by.

Osric Melkire swung the front door open. He staggered inside, spun around, grabbed the inside handle, leaned back, backpedaled, and pulled the door closed. Slammed it. Hard. He reeled his way over to the lobby desk, his hair singed.

He smelled like burning.

The midlander started sifting through various drawers, inboxes, folders, parchments and more. His eyes were out of focus, and he muttered curses under his breath as he went about his business.

"Ruttin' bastard melted m'patas... equipment request form... where's the equipment request form...."

He blinked as he picked up a note, read it over, and snorted. He dropped it back onto the desktop and continued to rifle through a veritable mountain of paperwork.

"Ah, here we go... quill, where's a qu- oh. Inkwell... right. Okay. 'Dear Quartermaster Who Never Furnished Me with a Sergeant's Uniform: Go Suck Morbol Toxin.' Aye, that'll do...."

He finished filling out the required fields, inked his signature across the bottom, dropped the quill, and headed right back out the door, all in a rush. He'd come to like those patas, gods damn it.

Ruttin' Ifrit. Ruttin' bastard.

Erik sat for a time, going over his next ten steps. If there was a child he needed to know. He may have been stupid, but he had respected her letter, never going after her, but a child. That was another matter. He had lost Lenna early, but found her again. Despite the time missed, it was relatively small, and now together they were close as thieves. But this other child, so much time lost. Beyond the personal aspect was another more pressing side, Ombre knew of them, so others did to. This child would be a target, if they weren't already. He stood, flexing away the last of the stiffness away, twinging from his side and leg. Raising his finger to his ear he spoke into his pearl, "Montblanc.... Tell Osric we will leave tonight.... Ready the Falcon."