Lantern Wordpress offline

FreelanceWizard

Some of you may have heard of the recent "Shell Shock" exploit involving bash. That, along with other security issues in Wordpress, have led me to disable (for the time being) the Wordpress side of the Tonberry's Lantern. I'll need to determine if, based on its relatively low usage, we want to continue it or just retire it.

So, if you click on the Lantern link, you'll get bounced to the forum. That's intentional. :)

Yeah, the exploit is an enormous pain. :(

If anyone was observing strange visual artifacts on the site today or nginx errors, that was due to the patches required to defend against it causing our php cache (Xcache) huge heartburn and crashing our FastCGI processes. I've changed it out to a different cache module and those issues should now be fixed.

It's probably not going away forever, but we're many, many versions behind and my attempt to upgrade resulted in some of the key plugins exploding spectacularly, unfortunately. If I can't get the bridges working right, a lot of the value goes away. I actually have some other tricks up my sleeve for making the forum look newspaper-ish, though...

Right now I'm focused on keeping us safe from shellshock (still waiting on the patch for the new vulnerabilities announced today, bash devs...), and then I'll look into fixing our Wordpress install. :)