RP News Podcast

Just a thought, but perhaps when the ball finally gets rolling the RPC could create our own podcast filled with the news from all the RP Guilds/Shells and maybe other news about XIV in general. Perhaps do a QA with members of the community about their style of RP and their process for developing their character and anything else that we can think of RP related.

This may be a horrible idea, but I'm just lounging about in my room and the thought just struck me, any suggestions? Yea/Nay?

I wouldn't be opposed to it. My only concern is whether we have the resources to add this to the list of things to do. While we do currently have 155 role-players gathered, there are still 97 on my MIA list since the transfer >.>. I've struggled enough to find web/forum experts and may struggle again when it comes to finding journalists for the future IC newspaper. So I'm wondering if it's also going to be a struggle for us to keep a podcast up and running on a regular schedule on top of everything else. But if there's enough interest, I don't see why not. It's just the finding the interested people that will be the main problem, and then keeping them interested.

It would provide us something to post on the premier sites and help bridge the gap between RPers and non-RPers I suppose.

Well I'm glad that you like the idea, it's not very fleshed out. I know that currently we may lack the resources to put out a regular podcast like the one that I'm talking about, but I may not have been clear. I meant getting this podcast going once we have a foothold in Eorzea and guilds have been formed and member population has increased significantly.

As far as getting people to regularly host the podcast, I would gladly volunteer, and I'm sure other members wouldn't mind coming on either.

I think it's a fun idea. I actually hosted / co-hosted a show on a small radio station for a few months while I was taking an audio engineering course. So, i'm no stranger to being on the air. I'de most likely enjoy co-hosting, or something along those lines.

Only problem is, as Castiel stated, would be resources. High quality microphones and other equipment can and will really add up, and no one really wants to listen to a podcast that's recorded via some $20 microphone.

If you really want to make this happen, though, you sure as hell could.

Even if you are thinking about starting something up down the road, it wouldn't hurt to plan ahead. Start thinking about what you're going to need. Make lists, and figure out prices.

Yes!!!

I had a dream... that me and my 2 friends were sitting in my room, drinking, and recording something (not sure if it was podcast or video). We were talking about RP and what's happening across all guilds (because we were in different guilds, which made me a little sad). It seemed amazing.

Anyway. I am all for this! Although to host a podcast would cost some $$$, another option is to throw out videos on YouTube. Mostly saying that cause I have a good HD camcorder and a decent webcam.

Actually one of my projects was to do a movie review show on YT catered towards Role-Players. I was thinking of calling it something cheesy like Reel Reviews! That's just an aside, for anyone who enjoys movies, you can expect that soon.

I listen to like 10 podcasts, and I'd love to try to host one. I don't have much experience with being on the waves heh, but I'm told I'm funny.

Well as for the money I know that I'm willing to spend bit of cash on a decent microphone. And I'm glad to see that people are interested in this.

I'm just trying to get the idea out there. This isn't a project that has to be done now, it may only come about a while after the game goes live, but I know that the loyal members of the RPC would enjoy having something like this.

Mason, rather than making an actual video to pt on youtube we could simply use YT to host our future podcast until

A) We get some money to spend on a proper podcast

B) We gain a ton of followers.

Mason, rather than making an actual video to pt on youtube we could simply use YT to host our future podcast until

A) We get some money to spend on a proper podcast

B) We gain a ton of followers.

What do you mean by "host"? How can YT host besides having videos up? You mean just use the audio and put that up on YT?

Meh, YouTube has an 11min limit on videos (non-partners), so that could make it a pain... 4-5vids to cycle through. I haven't looked up any info on how to host a podcast yet though. I am not even sure if it costs money to have it up somewhere- like iTunes? Hmm. Needs more looking into on my part.

Once you have the actual recording, I could likely host it on our main site fairly easily. When we eventually get to that point, just ask me so I can look more into it. I've already found the podcast addon. I would just need to make sure the addon would be compatible with the soon-to-be flash site first. I first need to also figure out how much monthly bandwidth the new flash site will take up.

Yeah I am down to host, assuming everything else permits it (money, time, etc). A couple of my RL friends will be playing also, so we can have guest appearances even xD I'd say we should try to get one person per guild to co-host so that we have stuff to talk about and it's not one sided. It's nice to know the number of people who would be willing to record, however if we all end up on the same guild it'd be pointless >_<; That being said... still nice to get a headcount!

Absolutely, I want to bring on guests whenever we can. Pull out both notable members of the community and those not-so-well-known. I'd really think it'd be interesting to sit people down and talk about their role-playing inspiration, how they came up with their character, etc.

And I do like your idea to have co-hosts from each guild, but then we run into a problem of having maybe too many people on the feed. I feel like once you get more than 5 people and discussions are going on that things get too crazy.

We'd have to work out a system. Personally I prefer 3, maybe 4 people per cast. Maybe we can do like this:

Lysander (Guild A) main host: 1st and 3rd week of every month.

-open space (Guild B)

-open space (Guild C)

-guest? (from anywhere)

Mason (Guild D) main host: 2nd and 4th week.

-open space (Guild E)

-open space (Guild F)

-guest? (anywhere)

...and we can cycle the co-hosts between each other so we don't talk to the same people every time. If you don't have enough people on your week, then maybe I can join in so that we can also chat w/ each other and vice-versa. Again this is just an example of how it can be handled. I am not saying me and Lysander will/should be main hosts. This type of set up would obviously need to change depending now how many guilds are part of the RPC.

I rather like that format actually Mason. And you've pointed out something to me that I kind of thought of, we need the support from both the RPC and the guilds to make this work. Naturally not every guild has to have a representative to come on air with us, but if they have someone that wants to come on air, then by all means.

I think though at the beginning we may not be able to implement the system by virtue of just not having enough people around.

As for the random guests we could just have a simple application to opt. into our guest selection and we would try to be fair and random to everyone.

That's great, honestly the more the merrier and no experience necessary.

The more I ruminate on this idea the more I want to see it be fleshed out. I just think that if we do this and we do it right it can be a powerful tool to really establish ourselves among the larger FFXIV community.

We really may not do anything FFXIV news related as there are already a ton of casts out there for that, FFXIV-Core Eorzeapedia, etc. but we can touch base on highlights and what not.

But the meat of what we talk about should come from RP in the game itself. The casts may start out short as we will all be new to this if it gets going, but I feel as the community really fleshes out that we can easily climb into those oh-so-fun two hour long casts. (Unless you guys want to keep them short, which I can understand.)

I just really think it would be cool to give an actual "voice" to the community, and who knows, with this we could become stronger affiliates with other parts of the community.

Sorry if I repeat myself a ton in this post, just kinda writing things as they pop into my head.

Actually I wouldn't mind discussing FFXIV news and other general stuff other podcasts might be covering. Of course it would be our take on it from RP perspective. Basically, it will still be fresh and new if it's our (RP-oriented) point of view. I think we can bring something fresh to the table, even if other podcasts are doing it.

Especially if you want podcasts to be longer! Personally I like em at around 1 hour mark. I'm always a little reluctant to listen to podcasts which are 2hr+ cause I know I wont be able to sit through the entire thing.

Woo! RPCV- the Voice of the Role-Play Coalition =P

I did think about that too Mason. So yea if we want to do something like that then it is totally possible. As for listening to 2hr+ podcasts. I just pause and come back when I have time to finish them.

Now all we need is a snazzy name and some BA intro music and we have half the work done :P.

Heh I was just listening to my IX soundtrack, I donno if this is a good idea but I was thinking of having random intro music from various Final Fantasy games. Most casts have consistent intro music though so maybe that's the way to go... but either way, I think we can also take 5-10min breaks in-between the show and put on some RP-themed music on.

I am not sure actually how people record this stuff. Do they record it all and then edit in the music breaks and such or is it all on the fly like in radio? I thought people would record, then stop to take a break and come back, then after the it's done they put in the music or w/e afterwards where that break took place. Any idea? :x

PS As for the name... I am not as creative when it comes to that as others. As you can see from above, RPCV - not very creative xD

All the putting in of music and what not takes place after recording. I have a decent editing program so if you give me the files I can do all the recording is done. And we can edit out any swears or whatnot if we want to keep the Cast PG-Rated.

Yea I'm going to do a bit more asking about how these things are done. My Mac has a pretty good built in mic so I think I'm good on that department I just want to know how I can maybe record while still preserving the quality of our voices.