Eorzea world time. Too fast?

Almil

Yeah I can't win... I posted a new thing about Miqo'te and was told it should be part of another thread and when I posted this as part of another thread it should have been it's own. lol

I am unhappy about the day/night thing. Yet another MMO where I ignore the day/night cycle /sigh

I can only speak for my FFXI experience here in terms of roleplaying game time.

In TalesofVana'diel, what we do is 'block' time to the moment an RP scene starts, and make if flow at RL speed. For example, if an RP session is to start in Bastok at 20:00, we'll act like it's late evening, and will pretend it to be so until the scene moves on elsewhere or till a time skip is mutually agreed in the group (meaning: "Let's go to sleep, and gather back here tomorrow in the early morning").

This rule changes only when it comes to RP traveling across an area. It's unrealistic to claim you can cross La Theine Plateau in ten minutes of running. So what we do is start RPing at the time we zone in (say, 10:00), talk as if time was flowing normally untill when we zone to the next zone, (Jugner Forest in this case). Then, we'll look at the game clock and if it says it's 15:00, then that will mean five hours have passed since the end of the conversation in La Theine Plateau and the zone in Jugner Forest. It's a bit tricky at first, but considering there's NPCs reporting to have spent two months to fully explore an area (Gwynham Ironheart, for example), I think this method is legit. It makes traveling more realistic, and doesn't force us to rush scenes to keep up the game time's speed.

This of course is what we do in ToV and I do not mean to say other LSs should apply to it. I feel comfortable to it and I'll likely keep this method when I'll move to RP in XIV. I'm not by no means recommending it nor imposing it, but I figured I'd share my experience as an example for who feels utterly lost on how to face this issue.

The majority, if not all, RPers I have ever RP'd with in XIV ignore the game time and use RL time. Usually EST (to avoid confusion if a EU RPer is RPing like it's evening and a Central time RPer is like wut?).

Sometimes, weather is also ignored, but not usually.

It'd be nice if they allowed us to set the day/night cycle to our preferred timezone, it would help maintain immersion a lot more, but tbh, I guess the days are okay.. When I was in the beta I was hoping it was just testing lighting, I mean surely all that constant lighting changing would take a lot of GPU power? (of course I could have no clue what I'm talking about either hehehe)